Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 trims - true comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks

I just joined and I am on the verge of ordering a model 3 standard version. I am trying to get as much details as I possibly can for our UK Tesla offerings. There is just too much information out there and I am finding it very hard to pin down the true differences between the 3 trims that are offered.

Does anyone have any first hand experience and a full list of features that are included in all trims?

E.g. I just learned today from a youtube video that the standard version will not have live google traffic updates after a year and it would then become a subscription. Is this true? Its a total bummer if true.

These are the types of hidden features / restrictions that I am trying to get a hold of.

Could anyone please shed some light on this for me?

Thanks guys.

I haven't been following it closely, so I can't offer a lot of specific details; however, you should keep a few things in mind:
  • Details have changed over time. A few months ago, Tesla said that the SR would have cloth seats, a different center console, manual seats, and some other physical differences compared to the SR+ and higher; however, soon after announcing the impending availability of the SR and SR+, Tesla changed course and delivered an SR that is physically identical to the SR+. The only differences between those two trim limes are in software (which includes limitations on hardware, such as range and maybe rear seat heaters).
  • Because some of these differences are done in software, they can change even after delivery, or be changed on a whim. This can make it difficult to track.
  • As I understand it, initial SR deliveries provided SR+ features; Tesla "downgraded" the cars via a software update post-delivery. I don't know if that's still happening.
  • I've seen some threads, but haven't followed them, that suggest even some LR-trim features have appeared, at least temporarily, in at least some SR/SR+ cars. These may have been the result of software glitches, though, so I wouldn't count on such features existing or remaining for the long term.
  • Alleged future changes (like charges for Internet connectivity or new software features) may or may not materialize. There have been rumors that Tesla would begin charging for Internet connectivity features (like streaming music services and satellite views on the navigation screen) for ages, even for higher-trim cars than the Model 3 SR, but such charges have yet to materialize. That's not to say it won't happen, but take such claims with a grain of salt.
All of the above can make it hard to figure out what the differences are, particularly between the SR and the SR+. At the time I bought my car (in March), the main differences between the SR+ and the higher-trim models were that the SR+ omitted or disabled rear heated seats, fog lamps, some speakers from the stereo system, streaming music, and satellite views on the navigation system. (Of course, the SR/SR+ also has a physically smaller battery pack and is RWD; those are hardware differences.) IIRC, the SR also disabled the front heated seats and reduced the range by 20 miles in software. Some of that may have changed, or "promised" software disablements may not have happened. I ended up with an LR RWD (a now-discontinued configuration), and so I haven't been paying such close attention to configuration changes over the past few months.

Thank you srs5694. As I am in the UK and these modifications are possibly for the US, I think I'd like to invite some UK forum users to this post. I just discovered a UK specific area on this forum, can moderators please move this thread?

From what you say, it is going to be difficult to keep track of all these config changes and it makes it all the more difficult for me to choose the right car for me. I really want to know what configs are going to stick in the long term and it seems that there is no way to tell. What an absolute bummer.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, let me try to get a UK view of the situation.

It's quite straight-forward and is right there on the website.

Standard only has Partial Premium, and therefore absent the diffences to the Premium interior.

1. There are fewer speakers - some of the "missing" ones are included, but not wired up.
  2. Rear seats are not heated - unsure if the physical heating element are included
  3. Does not play audio stored on USB - so 99.5% a software restriction
  4. No browser, no satellite map, no traffic, no streaming - clearly software
  5. No fogs

Partial Premium Interior Includes:

• 12-way power adjustable heated front seats
  • Premium seat material and trim
  • Upgraded audio – immersive sound
  • Centre console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones
Premium Interior Includes:

• 12-way power adjustable front seats
  • Heated front and rear seats
  • Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
  • Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
    • Satellite maps with live traffic visualisation
    • In-car internet streaming music and media
    • More frequent over-the-air updates via cellular
    • Internet browser
  • LED fog lamps

3 Does not play audio stored on USB - so 99.5% a software restriction

Wow...hadn't heard that. It's seemed one way of helping bridge the gap in the audio quality would to at least use the highest quality source. So frustrating that to get the full premium you now have to spend ~$10k more.

Wow...hadn't heard that. It's seemed one way of helping bridge the gap in the audio quality would to at least use the highest quality source. So frustrating that to get the full premium you now have to spend ~$10k more.

Standard only has Partial Premium, and therefore absent the diffences to the Premium interior.

1. There are fewer speakers - some of the "missing" ones are included, but not wired up.
  2. Rear seats are not heated - unsure if the physical heating element are included
  3. Does not play audio stored on USB - so 99.5% a software restriction
  4. No browser, no satellite map, no traffic, no streaming - clearly software
  5. No fogs

Partial Premium Interior Includes:

• 12-way power adjustable heated front seats
  • Premium seat material and trim
  • Upgraded audio – immersive sound
Premium Interior Includes:

• 12-way power adjustable front seats
  • Heated front and rear seats
  • Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
  • Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
    • Satellite maps with live traffic visualisation
    • In-car internet streaming music and media
    • More frequent over-the-air updates via cellular
    • Internet browser
  • LED fog lamps

Actually, do you have a source to cite for the USB media restriction? That’s a new one...

Man, that’s really disappointing! So if you upgrade the speakers, etc. to overcome the lackluster degraded system, you’re then still constrained by the lower bitrate Bluetooth connection.
you might want to check at your local showroom.

mine had no SR+ in stock, only a customer vehicle in for service service so sales dude checked in it, without my verification.

Hi folks

I just joined and I am on the verge of ordering a model 3 standard version. I am trying to get as much details as I possibly can for our UK Tesla offerings. There is just too much information out there and I am finding it very hard to pin down the true differences between the 3 trims that are offered.

Does anyone have any first hand experience and a full list of features that are included in all trims?

E.g. I just learned today from a youtube video that the standard version will not have live google traffic updates after a year and it would then become a subscription. Is this true? Its a total bummer if true.

These are the types of hidden features / restrictions that I am trying to get a hold of.

Could anyone please shed some light on this for me?

Thanks guys.
I'm really sorry that I can't answer any of your questions or concerns, but FWIW, I thought I'd just throw in my two cents...

If your car is something that brings joy to your life, get as much Tesla as you can comfortably afford. You will not regret it.

And yes, there is so much information out there that it can get to be a bit overwhelming.

Edit: BTW, I asked a mod to move your post/thread to the UK section.