Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

are you holding back model S long range purchase due to new model 3 highland performance release next year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind we would be comparing the ‘highland’ PM3 not the current gen.

Ie. Ventilated seats, strip lighting, stalkless auto shift, nicer stereo, revised dual centre console, dual pane glass all over, quieter db, better suspension, better seats.

Would like to see a comparison of LR S to the highland PM3. Then make comment :)
Diff class I agree but the new 3 seems to be bridging that gap moreso.

Reactions: dsm363
Keep in mind we would be comparing the ‘highland’ PM3 not the current gen.

Ie. Ventilated seats, strip lighting, stalkless auto shift, nicer stereo, revised dual centre console, dual pane glass all over, quieter db, better suspension, better seats.

Would like to see a comparison of LR S to the highland PM3. Then make comment :)
Diff class I agree but the new 3 seems to be bridging that gap moreso.
If Tesla makes the Highland Model 3 too good, might be less of a reason to get the 'older' Plaid for many buyers. Tesla really needs to update the Model S at some point to a new platform. It's still a great car though in current form.

If Tesla makes the Highland Model 3 too good, might be less of a reason to get the 'older' Plaid for many buyers. Tesla really needs to update the Model S at some point to a new platform. It's still a great car though in current form.
Agreed. The S platform hasn’t really changed since 2012. Wider body panels, wheelbase, cosmetic lights, bumpers, seats, adaptive suspensions, interior 2021+ refresh …but essentially the same design with some extra and some reduced features. Not saying it ain’t beautiful as it is, but it needs a proper 2.0 model now after 12 yrs. However given Tesla is all about incremental changes, I doubt they will do anything so grandiose.

Reactions: dsm363
Agreed. The S platform hasn’t really changed since 2012. Wider body panels, wheelbase, cosmetic lights, bumpers, seats, adaptive suspensions, interior 2021+ refresh …but essentially the same design with some extra and some reduced features. Not saying it ain’t beautiful as it is, but it needs a proper 2.0 model now after 12 yrs. However given Tesla is all about incremental changes, I doubt they will do anything so grandiose.
I had one of the first 100 ever made and now one of the most recent ones just delivered a few weeks ago. It really is a much better car but as you said, the overall design is 12 years old. Much like the Porsche 911 hasn't really changed the basic form in 60+ years, I don't think the Model S should really change much. It's one of the best looking sedans out there.

But a ground up redesign to bring it back into a premium market would be great. Could demand the price they were selling it for a year ago even.

Last edited:
Reactions: Destiny1701
The Model S still looks amazing. They got it right at the start. Almost everything under the skin has been modernized, but the original, all aluminum, chassis is still state of the art. Faster, Stronger, Smarter, ageless...

Just think how amazing it would be if your wife never aged. Stayed the same beautiful person you originally fell in love with and remained beautiful forever. Her mind and accomplishments continued to improved, but her looks remained.

Some will hate that comparison, but many of us will understand.

Reactions: White_Walker
Just think how amazing it would be if your wife never aged. Stayed the same beautiful person you originally fell in love with and remained beautiful forever. Her mind and accomplishments continued to improved, but her looks remained.

Some will hate that comparison, but many of us will understand.
Don’t think you did a good job of selling a “new” more flexible model wouldn't be better….. lol but I agree with your point.

• Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX