Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trunk Vulnerable to burglar!!!Owners be aware!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla, Chevy, Dodge, Subaru, Honda, Toyota - All unlock the trunk/hatch when doors unlock. These are the only brands I have firsthand experience with.

Just took a quick informal office poll:

Scion - unlocked, anyone could open
Toyota - thinks it stays locked
Kia - thinks it stays locked
Jeep - unlocked, anyone could open
Nissan - unlocked, anyone could open
Honda - unlocked, anyone could open

Perhaps Tesla can add a setting for Auto-unlock on Park that specifies Driver's Door, All Doors, or All Doors + Trunks. Software + OTA updates FTW.
I think the whole locking menu needs a serious update. I didn't realize that the trunk opened, and I'm glad I found out about this before my road trip this week.

My biggest issue is with all of the doors unlocking when I just want the driver's door to unlock. For almost 30 years, I've worked a job where I have to get into my car late at night. Now I also park in a large urban parking garage. All of my previous cars allowed me to unlock only the driver's door for safety reasons. Is this really so difficult to program into the next software update? For all us women who have to work at night, PLEASE.

Most brands unlock the trunk when the doors are unlocked.

My reply to the other was whether the doors unlock automatically if the car is placed in park. In my experience this isn’t a common feature in cars due to the safety aspect obviously

I think it's typically an option. It's an option on the Volt. You can set it to: Off, All Doors, Driver Door.

If there isn't that flexibility in the Model 3.

Tweet Elon and ask nicely for a Driver-Only option for Unlock On Park.

052F7DAC-3800-47C3-B9CB-B3051E419547.gif

I think the whole locking menu needs a serious update. I didn't realize that the trunk opened, and I'm glad I found out about this before my road trip this week.

My biggest issue is with all of the doors unlocking when I just want the driver's door to unlock. For almost 30 years, I've worked a job where I have to get into my car late at night. Now I also park in a large urban parking garage. All of my previous cars allowed me to unlock only the driver's door for safety reasons. Is this really so difficult to program into the next software update? For all us women who have to work at night, PLEASE.
Disable ‘unlock on park’ In your vehicle and no doors will unlock automatically. You will only unlock your driver door when you press the button.

The problem that we may have unearthed is:

If the trunk can be opened when the vehicle is locked. It is because the phone can be sensed by Bluetooth. This means I could walk up to anyone’s vehicle and open their trunk if they are sitting in it because the vehicle thinks it is the driver. This would be unique to the m3 as it’s the only vehicle that uses phone as key. All other vehicles use RFID fobs that can pinpoint the approximate location of the key in the vehicle

Disable ‘unlock on park’ In your vehicle and no doors will unlock automatically. You will only unlock your driver door when you press the button.

The problem that we may have unearthed is:

If the trunk can be opened when the vehicle is locked. It is because the phone can be sensed by Bluetooth. This means I could walk up to anyone’s vehicle and open their trunk if they are sitting in it because the vehicle thinks it is the driver. This would be unique to the m3 as it’s the only vehicle that uses phone as key. All other vehicles use RFID fobs that can pinpoint the approximate location of the key in the vehicle
There's 4 BLE receivers that *should* implement the same approximate location finding as RFID systems use (left and right B pillars, center console, and somewhere in the back - I can never remember where the rear one is). So, while the problem could be unique in implementation, it's not due to phone as key being unique itself. You should be able to get approximate location by comparing RSSI on all 4 receivers.

This is how central locking works.

We had to make sure it was enabled because we carpool, and when my wife comes to pick me up, it's annoying to have to remember to stab at the tiny lock icon on the screen, as the car doesn't have a physical lock button on the door controls. Putting the car in park is a smart idea ANYWAY when someone is hopping in, so it kills two birds with one stone.

My Golf did not unlock when you stopped but none of the 6 speeds on the transmission was "park" so the comparison is not apt :) You had to press the unlock button, or open the driver's door to unlock all doors.

For many years with physical keys, the way BMW did it is that if you left the trunk lock 'up and down', the trunk locked/unlocked with central locking. If you turned and left the lock cylinder horizontal (using the key), the trunk stayed locked regardless of central locking status. You needed to specifically push the trunk open/unlock button on the remote (where available) or use the key (if no keyless) to open it. Not sure what they're doing these days since everyone's getting rid of lock cylinders.

I'm sure there's a demand out there for the "only unlock driver's door" or "don't unlock trunk" for people who live in crime-riddled areas, but it's always been a matter of extreme convenience to just have all the doors unlock when you get in.

I'm sure there's a demand out there for the "only unlock driver's door" or "don't unlock trunk" for people who live in crime-riddled areas, but it's always been a matter of extreme convenience to just have all the doors unlock when you get in.
Cars have had this for years, so I don't see why Tesla has omitted it in the system. It's certainly simple enough with a fob- one press for driver's door, two for all doors. It's almost universal, except for Tesla. I don't see what's so hard about finding a way to incorporate this safety feature. It's not just for crime-riddled areas; it's a basic fact of life for women who are out at night, whether by choice or by necessity.