Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trunk Vulnerable to burglar!!!Owners be aware!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, if we can get back to a solution here hahaha. Because now I’m curious too. OP mentioned the unlock in Park setting...

So if we turn this off, we’re good? Does that mean I can’t go to trunk after I Park from outside and open myself?
The solution would be to turn off the “unlock in Park” function so that all doors and the trunk stays locked when you put the vehicle in Park.

I will however, test OPs claim when I pick mine up Tuesday. Because I’ll turn the feature off too if that’s the case

As was mentioned earlier if you have your phone in your pocket the trunk will unlock either way.

I do it multiple times a day.
Did you previously open a door before going to open your trunk? Or was it during a walk up and the vehicle detected your phone and unlocked the vehicle?

That would determine if the trunk lock is fully dependent on the doors being locked/unlocked as it describes in the owner’s manual

Did you previously open a door before going to open your trunk? Or was it during a walk up and the vehicle detected your phone and unlocked the vehicle?

That would determine if the trunk lock is fully dependent on the doors being locked/unlocked as it describes in the owner’s manual

No I go directly to the trunk and push the release button on the trunk.

The doors remain locked and the mirrors remain folded.

Long story short, my bag got robbed from Model 3 trunk earlier this week.

Model 3 Owners be aware!!!

Go to your lock setting to check if you've disabled the Unlock on park feature. If this is enabled, Trunk unlocked whenever you park. Since they rushed you out in 5 minutes, I didn't know it and paid my premium.
Disable this feature so at least the trunk stay locked when you park. Checking surrounding before you get off the car.

When you open the door, no matter you enabled or disabled this feature, the trunk will unlock. If a burglar is nearby your car, your chance of get your belongings robbed is extremely high.

Don't keep your valuable in the trunk even when you are in the car.

Frunk is safer in this case but it is not in long term as it can be forced open as well.

Tesla confirmed that they design the trunk to be automatically unlocked when doors open for convenience.

How stupid that the engineers would think the world is so beautiful that security of the trunk is not a first priority!
This is why I don’t put anything of great value in the Frunks of our Model 3 or S.

Reactions: Redwood and Point 3
I guess I'm not sure of the issue here. All of my cars with electronic locks always unlocked the trunk when I unlocked the driver's door. (Trunk did not open, just unlocked.)

As far I as could tell, the trunk stayed unlocked while I was driving around town and would pull into a parking space. The trunk would not lock until I got out of the car and locked the driver's door, at which time all doors and trunk would lock.

The trunk, like your doors, also locks when you walk out of range. It's only unlocked when you're nearby. It's not stupid.
I may be missing something but part of the issue is that many people don't enable this setting otherwise the car is constantly locking and unlocking while in the garage or driveway.
There have been many requests for an enhancement to address this.
How do you keep the car unlocked in the garage?

I guess I'm not sure of the issue here. All of my cars with electronic locks always unlocked the trunk when I unlocked the driver's door. (Trunk did not open, just unlocked.)

As far I as could tell, the trunk stayed unlocked while I was driving around town and would pull into a parking space. The trunk would not lock until I got out of the car and locked the driver's door, at which time all doors and trunk would lock.
Vehicles with electronic trunk latches tend to be dependent on the vehicle’s door lock status. If Even one door is locked, the vehicle lock status is ‘unlocked’. When driving, Electronic trunk latches should be locked along with vehicle lock status.

The problem that op is claiming that the trunk becomes unlocked when stopping and putting the vehicle into park.

This is different from most cars that unlock when the drivers door is opened or the unlocked button is pressed. You knowingly allow the trunk to be opened or you’re about to exit the vehicle.

In the owner’s manual, it states that the trunk’s ability to open is dependent on the vehicle being unlocked. If Point 3 can walk up to his vehicle and open the trunk without first unlocking the vehicle, then this means:

-the m3’s vehicle lock status is ‘unlocked’ just by walking up to it without attempting to open any doors
-the owner’s manual is wrong and the trunk can be opened with the vehicle locked if the phone is nearby
- turning on ‘unlock on Park’ allows the trunk to be opened because the vehicle’s status is ‘unlocked’ thus the trunk is unlocked. Even if the driver never intends to open the door (such as parking at in-n-out to eat food in the car).

This is an oversight in the ‘unlock to park’ feature

Well yes, the proximity of your phone allows you to unlock the trunk the same way it allows you to unlock the doors.

The difference is, it does not also unlock the doors at the same time you open the trunk (so that should indicate that they can be operated independently of each other)

Huh? This makes no sense ... so you were in the car when somebody opened the trunk? :eek:

Ever been on holiday with your car in southern Europe?
I will admit I’m a little confused about who drives with their “bag” in the trunk.

I know many people who don’t want to carry their “bag” place it in the trunk after they arrive at their destination.

Don't really know what the confusion is about. Whether it is a bag or any other valuables that you keep in the trunk exactly for safety reasons, because they should be safer than in plain sight in the interior of the car.
Actually, whenever I put important stuff in the trunk, as soon as I get in the car I press the center lock button before even starting the engine, just to be on the safe side. There are too many instances where people had their stuff nicked out of the trunk because it was still unlocked. Never underestimate the cleverness of thieves, especially organized groups, of which there are sadly too many about even in the safest of regions over here.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Point 3
The problem that op is claiming that the trunk becomes unlocked when stopping and putting the vehicle into park.

This is different from most cars that unlock when the drivers door is opened or the unlocked button is pressed.

Both of my cars with electric locks act like the Tesla - they will unlock the doors (and hatch) when you put it in park. One is a Toyota and the other is a Chevy. Are you sure most cars actually do it differently as you describe?

Long story short, my bag got robbed from Model 3 trunk earlier this week.

Model 3 Owners be aware!!!

Go to your lock setting to check if you've disabled the Unlock on park feature. If this is enabled, Trunk unlocked whenever you park. Since they rushed you out in 5 minutes, I didn't know it and paid my premium.
Disable this feature so at least the trunk stay locked when you park. Checking surrounding before you get off the car.

When you open the door, no matter you enabled or disabled this feature, the trunk will unlock. If a burglar is nearby your car, your chance of get your belongings robbed is extremely high.

Don't keep your valuable in the trunk even when you are in the car.

Frunk is safer in this case but it is not in long term as it can be forced open as well.

Tesla confirmed that they design the trunk to be automatically unlocked when doors open for convenience.

How stupid that the engineers would think the world is so beautiful that security of the trunk is not a first priority!
My merc c class trunk is unlocked when my car is unlocked. 8 years of owning it and no one has rushed me in a parking lot.

Stop being stupid

Reactions: bhzmark and Point 3
Both of my cars with electric locks act like the Tesla - they will unlock the doors (and hatch) when you put it in park. One is a Toyota and the other is a Chevy. Are you sure most cars actually do it differently as you describe?
Yes. At least most new cars. I can at least account for all fords are like that and I’ve worked on all brands and they don’t do it.

Tesla, Chevy, Dodge, Subaru, Honda, Toyota - All unlock the trunk/hatch when doors unlock. These are the only brands I have firsthand experience with.
Most brands unlock the trunk when the doors are unlocked.

My reply to the other was whether the doors unlock automatically if the car is placed in park. In my experience this isn’t a common feature in cars due to the safety aspect obviously

Reactions: SSonnentag