Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Undercarriage damage and fluid leaking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning, I was parking in a coffee shop parking lot and hit a parking block... (example of parking block -->)
parking block.PNG

To my utter amazement, I backed up and heard excessively crunchy noises. The parking block had come straight up out of the ground, nails and all. Maybe it was loose? Or did my car do that? I was horrified. Quickly took photos of the undercarriage of my 2020 Tesla Model 3. No damage to be found.

(Picture of undercarriage at the time. Ignore the back left part of the splash guard breaking off; that was from several months ago)
undercarriage2.jpg

I asked a passerby if they saw what happened. They had no idea. Went inside to ask the barista if the bumper was already out of the ground this morning; she said it seemed loose, but didn't recall if it was out of the ground. I googled "undercarriage Tesla damage" and saw that if you see fluid leaking, you're in trouble. I didn't see fluid until tonight. A big puddle of some watery substance piled under my car. Here's a video of where the fluid is coming from:
And a picture of the where the fluid is leaking from:

undercarriagenight.jpg

What should I do? The nearest Tesla approved bodyshop is over 100 miles away. Is it battery fluid leaking? I am not sure how to tell. Any help would be extremely appreciated, and I am grateful for you reading this post thus far!

Attachments

• PXL_20230216_015749878.jpg
    PXL_20230216_015749878.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 125
Check what color it is, and if its oily... it seems reddish in the pictures which implies it isn't battery coolant.

Unless you drove very very far over the curb, you couldn't have involved the battery itself, which starts a foot or more behind the midpoint of the front wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The fluid appears clear to me. I believe it's condensation water from the evaporator drain, which is perfectly normal. This is the exact spot where it drains out.

See the video on youtube that I posted a few years back:
Thanks that is helpful. I hope it's condensation water, then, and just something I never noticed before. Maybe today I was paranoid because of I hit the parking bumper, and had read something about battery fluid draining out after a hit.

Could it even be that there was standing water above the undercarriage and your "accident" jostled it into a position to leak out?

Sure looks like water to me. I would drive it until something (or nothing) happens. In my opinion, not worth driving 100 miles "just in case". If it dies, it dies... let the flatbed bring it there.

Check what color it is, and if its oily... it seems reddish in the pictures which implies it isn't battery coolant.

Unless you drove very very far over the curb, you couldn't have involved the battery itself, which starts a foot or more behind the midpoint of the front wheels.
I don't think I drove that far over the curb. It sounded very bad, though, and I don't remember all the details, but I'm sure my tires couldn't have gone over it.

The fluid appears clear to me. I believe it's condensation water from the evaporator drain, which is perfectly normal. This is the exact spot where it drains out.

See the video on youtube that I posted a few years back:
I agree that it is water from the AC. The water drops look clear (anybody that thinks they look reddish are being tricked by the illusion of the drops being near the orange-colored components). The water drops are in the perfect center of the front of the battery pack, which is exactly right above where the AC condensate drain is located. This is also located right below the firewall, so it is well away from any damage that can be done by the concrete wheel stop.

• Informative