Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Unveiling Event Prediction Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

farzyness

Food lover. Entrepreneur. Did I say food lover?
Aug 8, 2013
Earth
Didn't see it posted, so mods feel free to delete if it's already there.

Post your predictions on things that will be shown during the presentation.

I'm going to start it off by focusing on the number 3 itself. I think that this number not only will represent the name of the vehicle, but the number of things that will be shown:
- The Model 3 itself: $35k starting price. Autopilot optional with new suite of sensors (next gen Autonomous driving). Supercharger enabled. 55 and 70 kwh battery options. AWD optional. And other cool things.
- A redesigned Model S, particularly the front-end of the car that will more closely reflect the face of the Model X (grill-less)
- The Model Y sneak peak - perhaps not a fully functional car, but maybe some pictures (I think this is what the picture thing was referring to TBH). Reservations open up.

And a bonus
- Next Generation Roadster on the Model 3 platform. 0-60 2.2 seconds. 9 second quarter mile. 200mph top speed. 500 miles of range. $150k starting price. Absolutely bonkers of a machine. Reservations opening up as well.

Didn't see it posted, so mods feel free to delete if it's already there.

Post your predictions on things that will be shown during the presentation.

I'm going to start it off by focusing on the number 3 itself. I think that this number not only will represent the name of the vehicle, but the number of things that will be shown:
- The Model 3 itself: $35k starting price. Autopilot optional with new suite of sensors (next gen Autonomous driving). Supercharger enabled. 55 and 70 kwh battery options. AWD optional. And other cool things.
- A redesigned Model S, particularly the front-end of the car that will more closely reflect the face of the Model X (grill-less)
- The Model Y sneak peak - perhaps not a fully functional car, but maybe some pictures (I think this is what the picture thing was referring to TBH). Reservations open up.

And a bonus
- Next Generation Roadster on the Model 3 platform. 0-60 2.2 seconds. 9 second quarter mile. 200mph top speed. 500 miles of range. $150k starting price. Absolutely bonkers of a machine. Reservations opening up as well.

I like the enthusiasm. It's the mass market sedan. The last thing you want to do is water down the product by distracting from the main product itself. You also don't want the issue that happened with the Model X crop up again. If you show something and someone wants it then Tesla needs to get around to making it. The Model X was delayed, in a major way, because of the unforeseen success of the Model S. Tesla isn't big enough to focus on more than one new car/new production line at a time. Especially when that new car will be selling at a clip that is 6 to 10 times more than they've had in the past.

Sorry to rain on your parade but Tesla and Elon is good at these presentation events. Why not have more than one? Each of those events can easily be full events with their very own pomp and circumstance. They are all significant events for Tesla and their future.

I like the enthusiasm. It's the mass market sedan. The last thing you want to do is water down the product by distracting from the main product itself. You also don't want the issue that happened with the Model X crop up again. If you show something and someone wants it then Tesla needs to get around to making it. The Model X was delayed, in a major way, because of the unforeseen success of the Model S. Tesla isn't big enough to focus on more than one new car/new production line at a time. Especially when that new car will be selling at a clip that is 6 to 10 times more than they've had in the past.

Sorry to rain on your parade but Tesla and Elon is good at these presentation events. Why not have more than one? Each of those events can easily be full events with their very own pomp and circumstance. They are all significant events for Tesla and their future.

@Grendal
+1

@Farziness
No way is Elon going to announce more than the model 3

-Model 3 (duh)
-Autopilot included as a standard feature on all Tesla vehicles (no longer an upgrade)
-200+ mile range (duh)
-Free supercharger access
-Heads-up display (wishful thinking)
-Preview of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto software update

Why not have more than one? Each of those events can easily be full events with their very own pomp and circumstance. They are all significant events for Tesla and their future.

I disagree - with regard to a new nosecone on the Model S, a larger battery, ventilated seats and perhaps even the next generation autopilot hardware suite - I don't think ANY of those items is big enough to warrant an event of its own. Showing progress on keeping Model S up to date would be a very logical thing to do at the Model 3 event - especially if, as people say, Tesla doesn't have much to show WRT to Model 3 at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

No way is Elon going to announce more than the model 3

Again - I disagree - two new items have popped up:

1 - Today we learned a hacker has found a "P100D" logo in firmware - indicating a larger battery back is not far off.
2 - Multiple people have confirmed sales reps telling them a Model S price bump is coming in April.

These are indicative of Model S change in the near future, and the March 31 event would be the logical place to introduce upgrades. Just because Elon *hasn't* done it in the past doesn't mean he won't in the future. As the company grows and branches out there will be more and more to discuss at each event WRT various models.

I seriously doubt you will see more covered than the Model 3--anything else will dilute the story and be counter-productive. Something like a Model S refresh will generate its own news cycle, so its a waste to lump it in with the Model 3 news where it will be a footnote.