Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vampire drain after FW upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s normal drain?

I parked my car for two days and I’ve lost 10 miles.

My fiat 500e can be parked a week and it loses maybe 1 mile.

Hopefully they can find a fix with less drain soon.
I wouldn’t mind some drain, but this is a little high.

I’m not sure you can really compare a fiat 500e to a Tesla though.
84 miles on a charge, with not outside communication, and very little tech on board.
Very cool car, my wife wants one, (she has a Fiat 500 gas version right now), but the 500e is not even in the same league as the Tesla.

Hopefully they can find a fix with less drain soon.
I wouldn’t mind some drain, but this is a little high.

I’m not sure you can really compare a fiat 500e to a Tesla though.
84 miles on a charge, with not outside communication, and very little tech on board.
Very cool car, my wife wants one, (she has a Fiat 500 gas version right now), but the 500e is not even in the same league as the Tesla.

I agree. But even with the Tesla tech it should be able to shut down and minimize the power drain. At this rate I wouldn’t want to park it at the airport parking. I disabled all Tesla app and pinging from the phone(s) so it won’t wake th car up. Yet still getting 5 mile drain a day.

What’s normal drain?

I parked my car for two days and I’ve lost 10 miles.

My fiat 500e can be parked a week and it loses maybe 1 mile.
According to the manual, 1% lost a day is normal.

Battery Care
Never allow the Battery to fully discharge. Even when Model 3 is not being driven, its Battery discharges very slowly to power the onboard electronics. On average, the Battery discharges at a rate of 1% per day. Situations can arise in which you must leave Model 3 unplugged for an extended period of time (for example, at an airport when traveling). In these situations, keep the discharge rates in mind to ensure that you leave the Battery with a sufficient charge level.

I agree. But even with the Tesla tech it should be able to shut down and minimize the power drain. At this rate I wouldn’t want to park it at the airport parking. I disabled all Tesla app and pinging from the phone(s) so it won’t wake th car up. Yet still getting 5 mile drain a day.
That's probably the HVAC blower keeping cabin temps down. The only thing I can think of for that is to put on a car cover, probably with a cable/lock if you're leaving it alone for a while.

Battery Care
Never allow the Battery to fully discharge. Even when Model 3 is not being driven, its Battery discharges very slowly to power the onboard electronics.
My question is - why do the electronics have to be powered when the car is off? I know some power is used to keep the battery temp out of dangerous levels, but what else? If all this juice is being used uploading autopilot data to the mothership or something, they should let us turn that off.
Vampire drain is rarely mentioned on the list of things that make EVs inferior to ICEs but it's a valid concern. You can park an ICE for months, and the worst that will happen is it'll need a jump start. With a tesla, If you're on vacation and some disaster forces you to extend your trip by a week or two, you have to start thinking about returning to a dead car that can't be easily jump started or towed.

My question is - why do the electronics have to be powered when the car is off? I know some power is used to keep the battery temp out of dangerous levels, but what else? If all this juice is being used uploading autopilot data to the mothership or something, they should let us turn that off.
Vampire drain is rarely mentioned on the list of things that make EVs inferior to ICEs but it's a valid concern. You can park an ICE for months, and the worst that will happen is it'll need a jump start. With a tesla, If you're on vacation and some disaster forces you to extend your trip by a week or two, you have to start thinking about returning to a dead car that can't be easily jump started or towed.
My guess is that it has something to do with the car always being in constant communication with the Tesla servers. An option Tesla could add is to fully shut down the car when someone goes on an extended vacation.