Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #34 is available now with topics timestamped. We covered Tesla's rollercoaster prices, Toyota pushing junk science, Mike's new Model 3, Optimizing track mode for snow driving, FSD V11 apparently coming by the end of this week, and more. You can watch and check out the chat replay on YouTube.

Model 3 Vehicle Systems Over Temperature after Collision [ with large wooden container]

So today I hit a large size wooden container on the interstate today that damaged my front bumper (I know, absolutely dumb on my part). At first I thought my car was fine with a few bad scratches. However. I’m now getting an over temperature warning for my car. My AC is not working and the cameras are all black. The next available appointment for collision repair is not until October and the folks at Tesla told me to park my car outside away from my house just in case. I’m really unsure of what to do, does anyone know what to do in this situation?

dmurphy

Supporting Member
So today I hit a large size wooden container on the interstate today that damaged my front bumper (I know, absolutely dumb on my part). At first I thought my car was fine with a few bad scratches. However. I’m now getting an over temperature warning for my car. My AC is not working and the cameras are all black. The next available appointment for collision repair is not until October and the folks at Tesla told me to park my car outside away from my house just in case. I’m really unsure of what to do, does anyone know what to do in this situation?
Well, I'd begin by parking away from the house just case. And then, maybe find another Tesla certified collision center with a sooner appointment. There are plenty around.

Reactions: TBrownTX and tm1v2

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
the folks at Tesla told me to park my car outside away from my house just in case. I’m really unsure of what to do, does anyone know what to do in this situation?

Probably start by parking your car outside, away from the house, just in case (since thats what they advised you to do).

I would probably make an appointment with my local service center first (vs waiting for an october appointment for a collision center) especially since you mention the car doesnt look smashed up.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
Pics? Any error codes?

afadeev

Feb 28, 2019
NYC
So today I hit a large size wooden container on the interstate today that damaged my front bumper (I know, absolutely dumb on my part). At first I thought my car was fine with a few bad scratches. However. I’m now getting an over temperature warning for my car. My AC is not working and the cameras are all black.

At the very least, you've damaged the AC refrigerant, and likely the cooling lines under the front bumper. Any puddles under the front of the car?
Not great, but fully repairable, and covered by insurance (minus the comprehensive deductible).

The next available appointment for collision repair is not until October and the folks at Tesla told me to park my car outside away from my house just in case. I’m really unsure of what to do, does anyone know what to do in this situation?

This type of damage can be 100% repaired by a Tesla Service Center (SC), so make an appointment with them ASAP. The wait for SC windows is way shorter then T+3 months.

I had a somewhat similar situation last year when a parking attendant bumped the nose of the car. There hardly any damage to the plastic bumper cover, but the bump broke the radar brackets disabling cruise control and AP. Long story short, SC repaired everything, and installed a new pre-painted bumper cover, and handled things with my insurance company.

HTH,
a

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC