Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs Model X Whining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it has to do with this new Congressional mandate:

Electric vehicle warning sounds are sounds designed to alert pedestrians to the presence of electric drive vehicles such as hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs), plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), and all-electric vehicles (EVs) travelling at low speeds. Warning sound devices were deemed necessary by some government regulators because vehicles operating in all-electric mode produce less noise than traditional combustion engine vehicles and can make it more difficult for pedestrians, the blind, cyclists, and others, to be aware of their presence. Warning sounds may be driver triggered (as in a horn but less urgent) or automatic at low speeds; in type, they vary from clearly artificial (beeps, chimes) to those that mimic engine sounds and those of tires moving over gravel.

In general, I'm very disappointed with the large amount of cabin noise on my Sep'19 X. A large amount of the noise is the electric motor/drivetrain, both under acceleration and regen. Especially noticeable at lower speeds; 20-40 MPH. My main comparison is a 2018 LEAF, which is much quieter (almost silent) than the X and was a third of price.

Tire noise is really bad as well on some road surfaces.

I asked around at work and no-one else complained about their cabin noise, so maybe I have a bad example. I have just booked a service appointment to see if anything they can do, but am not holding my breath. My guess is that there's some variance in drivetrain noise and I was unlucky to get a noisy one, plus cabin noise is what it is. We'll see in a few weeks!

Just got a new Model X and when comparing it to my 2019 Model 3 the drive train seems to whine more. Any comments?
I drove the Raven X LR+ and the drive train whine was definitely louder, and more low/mid range-ey whine than the 2018 100D that I know have. The 2018 has a higher pitched whine, but I slightly prefer this sound over the Raven. Though I miss the great and improved much smoother ride and longer range of the Raven.

Maybe it has to do with this new Congressional mandate:

Electric vehicle warning sounds are sounds designed to alert pedestrians to the presence of electric drive vehicles such as hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs), plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), and all-electric vehicles (EVs) travelling at low speeds. Warning sound devices were deemed necessary by some government regulators because vehicles operating in all-electric mode produce less noise than traditional combustion engine vehicles and can make it more difficult for pedestrians, the blind, cyclists, and others, to be aware of their presence. Warning sounds may be driver triggered (as in a horn but less urgent) or automatic at low speeds; in type, they vary from clearly artificial (beeps, chimes) to those that mimic engine sounds and those of tires moving over gravel.
He's talking about motor whine not PWS.