Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs. model Y noise level?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody compared the noise level inside Model 3 and Model Y?

Have you test driven a model 3 and a model y?

That way you would be able to hear how quiet (or not) these cars are on your local roads.

For me, the model 3 is the quietest car I've ever driven. All I hear is tire noise which isn't much. I imagine the tire type makes a bigger difference on the noise you hear.

Have you test driven a model 3 and a model y?

That way you would be able to hear how quiet (or not) these cars are on your local roads.

For me, the model 3 is the quietest car I've ever driven. All I hear is tire noise which isn't much. I imagine the tire type makes a bigger difference on the noise you hear.
In fact, I did and my impression was that in MY you hear slightly less noise from the tires and the road, maybe because the wheels and tires were obviously different and the ground clearance of MY is higher.
All of that is subjective of course, so what I would like to see is a more scientific method with the noise level app running on my phone in both cars when driving the same route, which I haven't had a chance to do, sorry!

As the owner of both a Model 3 and a Model Y, I'd say they are comparable in terms of interior road noise. The Model Y's heat pump makes some additional noise that the Model 3 doesn't have but I usually hear it outside of the car, not so much while inside the car.

I have both the 2020 3 and Y. There is less wind noise in the Y for sure. Some contributing factors could be the smaller side mirrors, better design of the window weatherstripping, and much smaller gaps between the b-pillar and side glass. Also, in the Y, the side glass is flush with the b-pillar glass, but in the 3 the side glass sticks out a bit.