Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Warranty repair on Phantom touch on the screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the phantom touch problem on my Model 3, where the touch screen would act as if someone was touching the screen at random spots. So radio station would change, volume would adjust, the map would rescale and pan, traffic view would turn off, etc. It happens randomly and it sounds like this is a well known issue with Model 3's.

I bought this car just a little over a year ago and have less than 5K miles on it. This should be covered under warranty, right?

I scheduled a mobile service center appointment (where they would come to my house), and the day before the appointment, I got a text message saying "For diagnostic appointments we are now charging a diagnostic fee of $195/hr" and that my estimate is $97.50 (30 minutes of labor). It also said "If a warranty repair comes out of this visit, the fee will be waived in lieu of your warranty repair" (not sure what they mean -- I want the fee waived AND this problem repaired).

They also emailed me a Service Estimate asking me to e-sign it, which says I will pay $97.50. I hope they don't say, oh it's not happening right now, so your car is fine and you owe us $97.50. Just want to make sure I don't get stuck with some fees because I can't reproduce it on the spot. Thanks!

...Just want to make sure I don't get stuck with some fees because I can't reproduce it on the spot...

In the early days, it's understood that if it's not covered by warranty, owners would have to pay.

Now, Tesla has put it in writing so it looks like Tesla wants to scrutinize on warranty claims.

That means as you said if the tech can't replicate the problems, you'll be on the hook for a diagnostic charge!

Usually there are no issues with waiving the fee, esp. for intermittent problems; in this case unless it’s a mod you did that caused it (e.g. you installed a screen protector and trapped some humidity behind it). The invoices are things I also get to sign for obvious warranty issues but I never paid one.

But get an e-mail response confirming the fee will be waived even if they don't see the issue, since it's intermittent.