Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: what would you wait for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!
I'm too excited about the model 3, can't stop checking the forum every hour or so. I've been wanting to switch to a reliable electric car for years now (I cringe whenever I have to floor my ICEV's gas pedal), and this looks like it!
But since Tesla is such a fast moving and innovative company, within a couple years the first model 3's might seem quite outdated when compared to the newer versions. Kind of similar to the Model S: I think most people wouldn't really consider a MS without autopilot now, making the early 2013 models a little less appealing (since Tesla can't go in and install the sensors).
Personally, if the model 3 has SuperCharger access and autopilot, I'm sold. Immediately. Without just one of those two, however, and I might have to join the sidelines until they're both included.
What are some make or break features for you? and what would you wait for (reasonably)?

I'm no expert. The thought of buying a Tesla is brand new to me. And this is my 3rd post on these forums. That being said, I'll be shocked if this car doesn't have autopilot akin to that in the Model S and X. That being said, much of what's to come could very easily apply to even the first batch of Model 3s simply through software upgrades. Whatever additional sensors might come with future models will define how much more advanced those are, but that's what trade-ins are for!

Considering what the Model S and X can already do, having just driven a Model S for the first time this past Saturday, barring a huge let-down in capacity or features, there is not a single thing that would make me want to wait. The next iteration of Model 3 is years away, as the first is still 18+ months out. Who knows what the first generation will even be able to do by then as compared to what we might expect today. As much as it's the FIRST Model 3, it's not the first Tesla, or even the Roadster. They've proven their concept. All they're doing now is simplifying it and mass producing it to the point where I can actually afford one. I'm in.

I would expect SuperCharger access to be standard and a minimum range of 200 miles, but preferably closer to 240 miles. While autopilot seems like marvelous technology, I kind of expect that to come at a premium on Model 3, perhaps as an upgrade. They will probably make all Model 3's with the necessary sensors and other hardware to make autopilot an upgrade that only needs to be "turned on" in order to use it. Of course, I'm just guessing on that last matter. I do hope that Tesla will have enough to reveal on March 31 that it will satisfy most of the questions that we've all been asking and hoping to have answered. Drivers the world over are ready for Tesla Model 3. I hope it's everything we want and then some.

I'm too excited about the model 3, can't stop checking the forum every hour or so.

Just every hour or so? Your not really exited yet ;)

... within a couple years the first model 3's might seem quite outdated when compared to the newer versions.

What other calls "outdated" I call "tested and proven" :)

... and what would you wait for (reasonably)?

The only two things I can imagine myself to wait for is:
- TM3 to be "tested and proven".
- That the exchange rate between USD and NOK are more favourable.

... but in reality I don't think I will ;)

I would wait for autopilot if it wasn't immediately offered (which I expect it to be). I didn't care about autopilot too much until I learned Tesla's actually works so well, and now that's all I want. Heck, I'd buy a Model 3 if it was an ICE car now :frown: And since I'm keeping a cheap ICE car, I don't even need a supercharger. As long as it's made by Tesla and drives itself, I'm going to be giddy.

And yeah, can't wait. I was just out getting dinner, and loudly complained to my wife how we had to get gas like cavemen. And I had to do absurd things like turn the steering wheel. She's not going to like the next 2 years like this!

I would wait for autopilot if it wasn't immediately offered (which I expect it to be). I didn't care about autopilot too much until I learned Tesla's actually works so well, and now that's all I want. Heck, I'd buy a Model 3 if it was an ICE car now :frown: And since I'm keeping a cheap ICE car, I don't even need a supercharger. As long as it's made by Tesla and drives itself, I'm going to be giddy.

And yeah, can't wait. I was just out getting dinner, and loudly complained to my wife how we had to get gas like cavemen. And I had to do absurd things like turn the steering wheel. She's not going to like the next 2 years like this!

I am thankful that my wife is on my side of things. She is just as bothered by the wait as I am, and she (thankfully) wants the exact same features I want. Color would be our only area to "argue."

I would wait for AutoPilot, 225+ mile range, and SuperCharger access, none of which I think will be delayed.

I'm sure the Model ≡ Sedan will be an awesome car that I would personally like a lot. However, I don't particularly like Sedans, in general. If I enjoyed sitting in a car like a preying mantis with my legs bent up to my shoulders behind the steering wheel, I'd probably like Sedans. Unfortunately, I don't find that seating positing particularly comfortable. And, with the advent of increased crash test requirements since the early 1990s, the B-Pillar in Sedans has steadily gotten larger, wider, and thicker than every before. For someone that needs to stretch his legs in the drivers' seat, the B-Pillar in a Sedan is immediately in the way when attempting to make safe lane changes -- SIGNAL, MIRROR, OVER-THE-SHOULDER, GO! I have to lean forward, lean backward, crane my neck, hope like heck I didn't miss someone else's signal in the blindspot, then change lanes. It is a real pain in the [BUM].

That can be avoided a bit by driving a Coupe. Typically a Coupe has longer doors, so the B-Pillar is moved further back, leaving a clear view of my surroundings when looking over my shoulder. A quick glance, without any acrobatics, and I can change lanes, unmolested. So, I'm hoping that there will be a Model ≡ Coupe -- with Falcon Wing Doors -- so that I can be safe on the road at all times. I understand that most people don't have these concerns and buy Sedans by default -- when they aren't getting Pickups, SUVs, and Crossovers instead. Thus, it is very likely that I will have to wait to get a Coupe from Tesla Motors. Though I hope for a Model ≡ P120D Coupe, I could settle for a Model S P135D Coupe instead. Whichever arrives first, I'll buy it.

I would check every 10 minutes but the forum seems to be slowing down a bit, wish Elon would tease a bit more information to kick the forum back up to full discussion mode again!
seems like Autopilot and Superchargers are the biggest selling points! Hope they'll at least be an add-on feature for extra cost and not released with a later version...
Elon did talk about how they won't be as creative with the first version of the Model 3 :wink:

I'm sure the Model ≡ Sedan will be an awesome car that I would personally like a lot. However, I don't particularly like Sedans, in general. If I enjoyed sitting in a car like a preying mantis with my legs bent up to my shoulders behind the steering wheel, I'd probably like Sedans. Unfortunately, I don't find that seating positing particularly comfortable. And, with the advent of increased crash test requirements since the early 1990s, the B-Pillar in Sedans has steadily gotten larger, wider, and thicker than every before. For someone that needs to stretch his legs in the drivers' seat, the B-Pillar in a Sedan is immediately in the way when attempting to make safe lane changes -- SIGNAL, MIRROR, OVER-THE-SHOULDER, GO! I have to lean forward, lean backward, crane my neck, hope like heck I didn't miss someone else's signal in the blindspot, then change lanes. It is a real pain in the [BUM].

That can be avoided a bit by driving a Coupe. Typically a Coupe has longer doors, so the B-Pillar is moved further back, leaving a clear view of my surroundings when looking over my shoulder. A quick glance, without any acrobatics, and I can change lanes, unmolested. So, I'm hoping that there will be a Model ≡ Coupe -- with Falcon Wing Doors -- so that I can be safe on the road at all times. I understand that most people don't have these concerns and buy Sedans by default -- when they aren't getting Pickups, SUVs, and Crossovers instead. Thus, it is very likely that I will have to wait to get a Coupe from Tesla Motors. Though I hope for a Model ≡ P120D Coupe, I could settle for a Model S P135D Coupe instead. Whichever arrives first, I'll buy it.
You won't have to worry about the B pillar with the sensors telling you what's in the other lane and changing lanes on its own using autopilot :cool:

I will wait to buy if the model 3 isn't level 4 autonomous ready (unless there is an indication that it won't be possible for 3-5 years). Everything else is gravy.

That would be the only feature i'd wait for. Software/regulatory approval of course might have to wait, but I want the hardware to make that possible.

That and I'm waiting for my stock to hit $100 so I can afford it... :scared:

My guess is that the Model 3 will be a smaller Model S and a Model Y will be a smaller Model X. I am guessing I will want to wait for the utility a Model Y would provide since I have a large dog and 4 person family. But if we all fit into the Model 3 with a little extra room for luggage beyond a Frunk, then I am all in. Oh, I might wait for the less expensive, less loaded ones to become available. Elon said the first ones although not signature models would be more expensive to help pay for the future cheaper ones.

You won't have to worry about the B pillar with the sensors telling you what's in the other lane and changing lanes on its own using autopilot :cool:
I trust my own biological sensors and use them accordingly. On misty, moisty, overcast mornings in Los Angeles it suddenly becomes readily apparent that the majority of the vehicle buying populace likes to purchase cars that are invisible in rear view mirrors during such conditions. Not enough people buy RED cars. Instead, they get black, silver, gray, grey, or white for the most part. Or, they get metallic sky blue, or a nice Earth toned metallic tan. All of which are invisible because drivers somehow never turn on their daytime running lights either when it gets foggy or rainy. So, to be safe, you must literally turn your head and look directly at these rolling road hazards in order to make a safe lane change.

On misty, moisty, overcast mornings in Los Angeles it suddenly becomes readily apparent that the majority of the vehicle buying populace likes to purchase cars that are invisible in rear view mirrors during such conditions. Not enough people buy RED cars. Instead, they get black, silver, gray, grey, or white for the most part. Or, they get metallic sky blue, or a nice Earth toned metallic tan. All of which are invisible because drivers somehow never turn on their daytime running lights either when it gets foggy or rainy. So, to be safe, you must literally turn your head and look directly at these rolling road hazards in order to make a safe lane change.
At a track event, this was described as "road colored cars" in exactly the context you were describing: the speaking driver didn't like having them in his run group.

the majority of the vehicle buying populace likes to purchase cars that are invisible in rear view mirrors during such conditions. Not enough people buy RED cars. Instead, they get black, silver, gray, grey, or white for the most part. Or, they get metallic sky blue, or a nice Earth toned metallic tan. All of which are invisible because drivers somehow never turn on their daytime running lights either when it gets foggy or rainy.

Red Sage, I completely agree to this statement, and will add the following... People need more personality, and car manufacturers need to offer more compelling color choices!

Just every hour or so? Your not really exited yet ;)

refresh.gif