Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 will not shift to park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I updated to the latest software 2020.48.35.5. My 2019 M3P will not shift to PARK now. I tried to reboot 3 times (two scroll wheels press) and no prevail. Online search showed that someone else (not many) had similar issue and mentioned that the stalk has to be replaced. I wonder if anyone else has similar issue. I would think this is just an software bug since it happened right after the software update.

I have setup an appointment with SC and in the meantime, I need to open the door to force the car into PARK.

Attachments

• 20210123_193523.jpg
    20210123_193523.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 247
No, I can not activate parking brake after the car is forced into PARK by opening the door. It seems that pressing the button does not do anything anymore.

And yes. This is safety issue for me but luckily I am not going out much these days.

It certainly can be a safety issue, and I think they considered that the switch could break on a car. That's probably why there's an option in the touchscreen menu to put your car in park and set the parking brake. It's under safety and security. Huge button. Can't miss it.

Thanks. I did not know about the touchscreen option. Will try it next time before heading to the SC.

Actually you need to HOLD the P to activate the parking break. P is just park

No, that’s not accurate.

When you press the button, the noise you hear is the parking brake actuator. It’s always engaged.

There is no transmission, and no parking pawl. The only “park” on a Tesla IS the parking brake.

From the manual:

Parking Brake
To engage the parking brake, touch Controls > Safety & Security > Parking Brake and follow the onscreen instructions. You can also engage the parking brake by pressing and holding the button on the end of the drive stalk while in Park.

When you manually apply the parking brake using the touchscreen (Controls > Safety & Security > Parking Brake), or by pressing and holding the button on the end of the drive stalk when in Park, the red parking brake indicator lights up on the touchscreen.

Reactions: JulienW
Also it only displays the PARK icon after you hold it. So it is different and more robust Parking Brake that just putting in Park.

View attachment 633020

There is ONLY ONE parking brake system on Model 3. It has exactly two commands - engage and release.

VCLEFT controls the left caliper and VCRIGHT controls the RH caliper.

That's it. There *is no* secondary parking brake. There is no "squeeze extra hard" function. It's either on, or it's not.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.08.09 PM.png

There is ONLY ONE parking brake system on Model 3. It has exactly two commands - engage and release.

VCLEFT controls the left caliper and VCRIGHT controls the RH caliper.

That's it. There *is no* secondary parking brake. There is no "squeeze extra hard" function. It's either on, or it's not.
Then you need to Hold in the button for the Parking Brake to engage. As you Hold the button in you can hear it engage and the Icon lights up. Neither of these happen by just putting in Park. Go out to your car and check it yourself. The Parking Brake Icon (in my pic) is not illuminated. Press and Hold the button then listen and watch. Clearly the sound of the calipers clamping down (or some type of actuator sound) as you Hold the button in.

Last edited:
Then you need to Hold in the button for the Parking Brake to engage. As you Hold the button in you can hear it engage and the Icon lights up. Neither of these happen by just putting in Park. Go out to your car and check it yourself. The Parking Brake Icon (in my pic) is not illuminated. Press and Hold the button then listen and watch. Clearly the sound of the calipers clamping down (or some type of actuator sound) as you Hold the button in.

Once again, not the case. You can very clearly hear the actuators *every time you put the car in park*.

Try it. Turn off the radio and put the car in park. It’s clear as day.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Here you go.

Exactly. That "whine" you hear 5 seconds when you press the button? That's the parking brake actuator applying pressure.

The extra "click" when you hold the button in? That's the actuator again - it's already engaged - no travel left in the caliper - so it just clicks.

My Cadillac had the same mechanism.

You're not getting anything additional by holding the button in, but there's of course no harm in doing so either!

Reactions: android04
Exactly. That "whine" you hear 5 seconds when you press the button? That's the parking brake actuator applying pressure.

The extra "click" when you hold the button in? That's the actuator again - it's already engaged - no travel left in the caliper - so it just clicks.

My Cadillac had the same mechanism.

You're not getting anything additional by holding the button in, but there's of course no harm in doing so either!

I must say that this is the most confusing situation ever. I don't understand the wording in the manual, nor the fact that the park brake light only comes on if you do the 'secondary press'. Truly bizarre.

OP, let us know what's going on.