Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Window Tints and Clear bra in Southern California recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn’t go for these lifetime warranty coatings. I am a hobbist detailer/prosumer detailer. There is nothing that will last the lifetime of paint. Or last a lifetime and look good. It will need to be repolished and reapplied eventually.

The worst offenders are the guys who offer “lifetime warranty” but only if you go in for a 200 dollar a year top up session to keep the warranty valid. It really is a scam and makes me sick what some of these “detailers” convince people to buy. I could rant on about this for hours lol.

Same goes for clearbra after around 5 years you are gonna want to rewrap anyways. There will be wear and tear on it from just driving it and debris hitting it. Then the self healing starts to die off after a while as well.

I will also be going to Tim at Adonis in SD. Or if I feel a little crazy and pick my car up at the Factory in Fremont I will go to Premier.

Both do 100 custom installs. No pre-cuts. Wrapped and tucked edges. Don’t get any better than these two companies in SoCal or NorCal.

They offer the best film IMO Clearguard Nano SR and Photosync tint. I have had Xpel Ultimate in the past but don’t want the orange peel again. It held up well I just think there are better options these days.

I live about 20 mins from RPM but I still think it’s worth the drive to go to one of these other guys for tint and clearbra. I’m a little OCD though.

I know a few HS kids that actually work at RPM. I think they actually worked on PandaM3s car if he is the same guy who posted up a video on YouTube last week? I saw one of them installing the center console wrap.

I think he just uses those high school kids for small things around the shop. Nothing wrong with high school kids... I used to have a modified Volkswagen that used to get a lot of work done at Pacific German which is near RPM... the owners kids where just in high school & college and very mature and knowledgeable... they did a complete engine rebuild for me with forged internals. (You’ll probably see them and their cars on the wheeliecoolvideos YouTube channel) OTOH the high school kids at RPM just seems to be a summer job for them... or maybe it’s the owners kids and he is trying to teach them the business.

My car was done months ago... he actually has a dedicated detailer/ clear bra installer/ tint shop that he subcontracts to for the big jobs.

I wouldn’t go for these lifetime warranty coatings. I am a hobbist detailer/prosumer detailer. There is nothing that will last the lifetime of paint. Or last a lifetime and look good. It will need to be repolished and reapplied eventually.

The worst offenders are the guys who offer “lifetime warranty” but only if you go in for a 200 dollar a year top up session to keep the warranty valid. It really is a scam and makes me sick what some of these “detailers” convince people to buy. I could rant on about this for hours lol.

Same goes for clearbra after around 5 years you are gonna want to rewrap anyways. There will be wear and tear on it from just driving it and debris hitting it. Then the self healing starts to die off after a while as well.

Should I skip the clear bra and go straight to silver package 5 year ceramic coating. I do like how easy it is to clean. Black is really hard to maintain.

I think he just uses those high school kids for small things around the shop. Nothing wrong with high school kids... I used to have a modified Volkswagen that used to get a lot of work done at Pacific German which is near RPM... the owners kids where just in high school & college and very mature and knowledgeable... they did a complete engine rebuild for me with forged internals. (You’ll probably see them and their cars on the wheeliecoolvideos YouTube channel) OTOH the high school kids at RPM just seems to be a summer job for them... or maybe it’s the owners kids and he is trying to teach them the business.

My car was done months ago... he actually has a dedicated detailer/ clear bra installer/ tint shop that he subcontracts to for the big jobs.

Yeah nothing wrong with the high schoolers! He has been working there for over a year so I’m sure he has got lots of experience. He is a friend of my neighbor. He does it year round from what he told me.

Yeah he told me a little back story and what it’s like working there. I won’t say anything negative on a public form. I just won’t be shopping or taking my car to RPM. But I do see the appeal that he brings to the market. Nothing wrong with that!

Yeah you should be fine with the products you have. Car looks good! Like I said I am a little OCD. I mean it’s probably why I had to learn how to detail and picked it up as a hobby lol.

Yup I have been to Pacific German for my sisters Volkswagen. Seemed sorta expensive but he does attract that tuner crowd. I was/am a Bimmer guy so I took my car to other shops.

Should I skip the clear bra and go straight to silver package 5 year ceramic coating. I do like how easy it is to clean. Black is really hard to maintain.

Depends on what you are looking for. It’s hard to stay. Clearbra will protect against chips and the underlying paint of what ever you wrap. However I doubt you will be getting the entire car wrapped.

With a black car especially non metallic. There is nothing you can do to prevent swirls from appearing. Talking to my neighbor who works at meguairs. He says that Tesla Black acts exactly like bmw jet black. Which is notoriously bad. I and I can attest too since I have owned 2. There are only things you can do to minimize the swirling. Like proper wash and dry methods. Then depending how crazy you are you will have to repolish the car every 1-3 years. All depending on your swirl tolerance level. Coating or no coating nothing will prevent this. Some coatings will slightly help but will never make the paint swirl proof.

Coatings are just longer term car protection. I would only count it lasting 1-3 years depending on quality with proper upkeep. Yes coatings require upkeep. Proper car soap to not interfere its hydrophilic properties. Then also toppers sprayed on a monthly basis. Usually it’s best to buy the topper sold by the coating manufacturer.

For the normal average joe is it worth it? Just for longer term protection? In my opinion no. But I mean everyone has their own opinion. For the average person all they will ever need is something like Collinite 845 every 6 months and they are good. It’s a simple routine. Protects just as well as a coating just doesn’t last as long.

I will be coating my car. But this is my hobby and I want to try new products and have insane beading and have the car glowing. I will also only be in it cost of materials. On my families cars I just give them a bottle of Collinite haha

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and eyespii
Depends on what you are looking for. It’s hard to stay. Clearbra will protect against chips and the underlying paint of what ever you wrap. However I doubt you will be getting the entire car wrapped.

With a black car especially non metallic. There is nothing you can do to prevent swirls from appearing. Talking to my neighbor who works at meguairs. He says that Tesla Black acts exactly like bmw jet black. Which is notoriously bad. I and I can attest too since I have owned 2. There are only things you can do to minimize the swirling. Like proper wash and dry methods. Then depending how crazy you are you will have to repolish the car every 1-3 years. All depending on your swirl tolerance level. Coating or no coating nothing will prevent this. Some coatings will slightly help but will never make the paint swirl proof.

Coatings are just longer term car protection. I would only count it lasting 1-3 years depending on quality with proper upkeep. Yes coatings require upkeep. Proper car soap to not interfere its hydrophilic properties. Then also toppers sprayed on a monthly basis. Usually it’s best to buy the topper sold by the coating manufacturer.

For the normal average joe is it worth it? Just for longer term protection? In my opinion no. But I mean everyone has their own opinion. For the average person all they will ever need is something like Collinite 845 every 6 months and they are good. It’s a simple routine. Protects just as well as a coating just doesn’t last as long.

I will be coating my car. But this is my hobby and I want to try new products and have insane beading and have the car glowing. I will also only be in it cost of materials. On my families cars I just give them a bottle of Collinite haha

Thanks for a very informative post! Have you ever heard of Avalon ceramic? It's something I'm possibly thinking of DIYing.
also, I still drive my e46 2002 BMW 325i, and you are correct, black is a pain in the ass. which is why I bought a pearl white Tesla haha.

That being said, I am leaning towards foregoing the PPF and maybe do a ceramic myself with bi-annual claybar/collonite 845. Cause I'm going to help pay for some of my moms medical bills.

I did send a message to Rodz tint in FV at ~7pm saying people are interested, so I might have prices and stuff by tomorrow afternoon/evening for those interested.

Thanks for a very informative post! Have you ever heard of Avalon ceramic? It's something I'm possibly thinking of DIYing.
also, I still drive my e46 2002 BMW 325i, and you are correct, black is a pain in the ass. which is why I bought a pearl white Tesla haha.

That being said, I am leaning towards foregoing the PPF and maybe do a ceramic myself with bi-annual claybar/collonite 845. Cause I'm going to help pay for some of my moms medical bills.

I did send a message to Rodz tint in FV at ~7pm saying people are interested, so I might have prices and stuff by tomorrow afternoon/evening for those interested.

No problem. I notice I have a bunch of typos in my post above. Sorry typed it all on my phone and autocorrect takes control sometimes. Can't seem to edit it now. The worst offender I meant to say "hydrophobic" not "hydrophilic" above. Literally autocorrected to the opposite term lol.

I have not heard of Avalon Ceramic. There are literally dozens of dozens of coating companies that pop up all the time. My Top 5 trusted brands for coatings (in no particular order) would be Gyeon, CarPro, Optimum, Kamikaze, and GTechniq. They all have consumer level products if you are looking to coat yourself.

Yup owing a jet black BMW is a trying experience. I love jet black cars. I will always own one, but I am with you I am going to order a white model 3 as well! The black car will only be for weekend fun cars.

That is not a bad idea. PPF is great and I love it for certain applications. I have it on my M3 (BMW) but debating it for the Model 3. I have a couple months to decide.

With the clay bar you always have to keep in mind that no matter how careful you are you will be introducing some level of haze and marring to the paint. (Remember that a clay bar only cleans the top surface of the paint and makes it smooth. Analogous to exfoliation of the skin. It does not make the car any shinier.) I think a yearly clay session should be fine but again it all depends on your circumstances. If you have to park under sappy trees all the time then yes you will have to clay more often. If you have the time or the means I would do a light polish following the clay session if you can.

The Collinite 845 is honestly one of the best bangs for the buck you can get protection wise. It is also simple to use. Lasts a long time. It also has a pretty warm glow. If you are interested in that sorta thing.

...i did my clear bra and coating at coat my car in newport right after taking delivery and did my tint at acutint pro in upland, ca..

Attachments

• 6ae1310e-3630-4ece-890b-f8056d85e5d0.jpg
    6ae1310e-3630-4ece-890b-f8056d85e5d0.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 7023afa1-c1f1-45ef-b6a3-074ed5f331c9.jpg
    7023afa1-c1f1-45ef-b6a3-074ed5f331c9.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 169
Got d day everyone. I will be taking delivery of a Model 3 on 10/30. I live in the Temecula area of So Cal. Can anyone recommend a good shop for ceramic coating and PPF? I’m sure there’s nothing local to me but I can drive a ways if necessary. Thanks.

Got d day everyone. I will be taking delivery of a Model 3 on 10/30. I live in the Temecula area of So Cal. Can anyone recommend a good shop for ceramic coating and PPF? I’m sure there’s nothing local to me but I can drive a ways if necessary. Thanks.

Congrats on your D Day! For your area, we have quite a few options available. Be sure to make sure to talk to at least 2 shops and even go to their shop and ask to see examples of their work. Not only will this let you gauge their workmanship, but also their customer service quality.

XPEL Installers Near You

Don't forget that not all films are created equal and to ask for XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS. It's the industries clearest and most durable film backed by a 10 year warranty. Watch this video to see some of the rigorous tests we put the film through.

XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS

How is everyone experience with mobile installers for Clear Bra? For my tint, I used Elite Window Tint in Fullerton (mobile installer) and the guy had issues with trapped dust particles which makes sense since it’s an uncontrolled environment. I will not use Elite Window Tint again.

I have a white model 3 and found these guys who will do a 1 piece seamless install for front bumper clear bra but they are mobile as well. Has anyone used these guys below?

Mobile Tint One

Mobile Tint One - Anaheim, CA

View attachment 320014 View attachment 320015 View attachment 320016 I got my tint + clear bra + chrome delete + ceramic coat + powdercoat wheels + calipers painted + CF spoiler all done at RPM Tesla here in Orange County
Wow! Like the white handles! Who makes your tints? And I can’t tell what powder coat finish or color you went with on the wheels. I am doing my P3D+ the same with the exception of the Tesla badges are gonna be red like the brakes. Let me know, your car looks beautiful!