Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with battery popping sound while charging, should I be worried?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, this is normal and shouldn't impact the operation of the car. It is caused by differences in pressure from inside and outside the HV battery.

There's a Service Bulletin if you want it fixed, found here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148848-9999.pdf

Tesla also has a separate SB addressing the same issue, though this one is in response to customer complaints of reduced range: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154513-9999.pdf
Wait.. so.. Tesla is supposed to replace our batteries if in the VIN range? Interesting..

Wait.. so.. Tesla is supposed to replace our batteries if in the VIN range? Interesting..
Maybe if you go in complaining about range and insist they check this. It really depends on your SC. Most of them have gotten really strict this past year. They'll just tell you it's normal and doesn't impact anything.

Though I imagine if you make enough of a scene they'll cover it.

Bjorn mentioned in a recent video that Tesla has redesigned the pressure relief valves to prevent the popping and that you can get them retrofitted.

Here is the TSB for that fix: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163736-9999.pdf

It must be very simple as it only requires a quarter hour of labor.

Upon customer complaint of a "thunk" noise coming from the HV battery, replace the HV battery breathers with updated components that will help equalize the pressure inside the battery with the pressure outside, faster and quieter.

Affected VIN(s) Affected Model 3 vehicles built after approximately April 22, 2018.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed this now three times on my M3 that was purchased at the end of April, not sure how old it was, as it was one already on the lot. First couple times I heard it supercharging and just now while driving. I looked over the links for the bulletin and they are both for long range, mine is standard range. Any idea if this applies to mine as well (I’m assuming it would if I do have the same issue)

I’ve noticed this now three times on my M3 that was purchased at the end of April, not sure how old it was, as it was one already on the lot. First couple times I heard it supercharging and just now while driving. I looked over the links for the bulletin and they are both for long range, mine is standard range. Any idea if this applies to mine as well (I’m assuming it would if I do have the same issue)

The TSB I linked to a few posts up applies to all Model 3 models. Long range isn't mentioned at all.

Affected VIN(s) Affected Model 3 vehicles built after approximately April 22, 2018.

"Please be advised the popping during super charging is due to your contactors opening and closing. This is a normal characteristic of the Model 3 as this how the batter charges. At this time we will go ahead and cancel your appointment as their is nothing wrong with your Model 3."

"Please be advised the popping during super charging is due to your contactors opening and closing. This is a normal characteristic of the Model 3 as this how the batter charges. At this time we will go ahead and cancel your appointment as their is nothing wrong with your Model 3."

Of course the contactors don't open and close while you are Supercharging. (They might at the start and end, but not in the middle.)

Did you send them the TSB number?

We had the popping on a Model 3 that we took delivery of in September 2018. We never really Supercharge it so I haven't thought about it over the past year.

We took delivery of another Model 3 in September 2019 and Supercharged it for the first time yesterday. I was surprised that it made the same popping noises. Are other newly manufactured cars still making this noise? I thought that they changed parts and that the TSB meant that this was only on older cars.

Last edited:
We had the popping on a Model 3 that we took delivery of in September 2018. We never really Supercharge is so I haven't thought about it over the past year.

We took delivery of another Model 3 in September 2019 and Supercharged it for the first time yesterday. I was surprised that it made the same popping noises. Are other newly manufactured cars still making this noise? I thought that they changed parts and that the TSB meant that this was only on older cars.

That was the weird part of the TSB it stated impacted cars are "Model 3 vehicles built after approximately April 22, 2018." There is no end date. I wondered if that meant that they were keeping the same vents that cause the noise, maybe because they seal better, and only replacing them if people complain.

I had to open another service request to send them that.

"We reviewed vehicle data and found that service bulletin SB-19-16-010 does not apply to this vehicle. Vehicle already had updated parts installed. The sound you are hearing is an acoustic characteristic of the product resulting from a sheet metal cover adjusting due to thermal expansion or changes in ambient pressure. There is no impact on functionality; you can continue to drive and Supercharge your car as you wish. At this time we will cancel the appointment if you do not have any more concern. Thank you for your time."

Reactions: Big Earl
"We reviewed vehicle data and found that service bulletin SB-19-16-010 does not apply to this vehicle. Vehicle already had updated parts installed. The sound you are hearing is an acoustic characteristic of the product resulting from a sheet metal cover adjusting due to thermal expansion or changes in ambient pressure. There is no impact on functionality; you can continue to drive and Supercharge your car as you wish. At this time we will cancel the appointment if you do not have any more concern. Thank you for your time."

Yep - it's just the nature of the beast. While it was concerning at first, I have become accustomed to it and rarely notice it anymore.

I hear the sound coming from various places under the floor when the battery is either charging or discharging rapidly. It happens every time we Supercharge and often when climbing mountain passes. Occasionally we'll get a pop when taking a steep driveway transition.

Seems like normal metal expansion sounds to me. I'm not too worried about it, although some sort of fix to quiet it down would be nice.

As an extra data point, we also have the hollow floor sound in the back seats.

i have same knocking sound under the car as if when driving you hit a Stone on the road. Seems this is common. ?

I've got that popping sound regularly when supercharging, and the floor in the back seat sounds hollow when you punch it gently.

While the issue the service bulletin 18-16-010 addresses appears unrelated, it states roughly May 7, 2018-August 2018 manufacture dates. My car is a May 2018 manufacture. Additionally, my car gets well less than the advertised 520km. I'd assumed this was due to my 130km/hr driving habits, along with the cold weather. But if it's more than that... free new battery attempt here I come!

I put a service request in under SB-19-16-010 (thunk sound) & SB-18-16-010. Hang onto your hats!

Last edited: