Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 won on "The Price is Right" gameshow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He has to pay tax on the car. I think the value of the car is counted as income, so you pay income tax on that (state and federal). So 50k car could be 10-20k in taxes you have to pay. But if you have the money, then you are getting the car for cheaper.

Reactions: PoitNarf
He has to pay tax on the car. I think the value of the car is counted as income, so you pay income tax on that (state and federal). So 50k car could be 10-20k in taxes you have to pay. But if you have the money, then you are getting the car for cheaper.

Yep, I’ve read a good portion of big winners on TPIR decline their prizes because the taxes on the winnings are more than they can afford.

Yep, I’ve read a good portion of big winners on TPIR decline their prizes because the taxes on the winnings are more than they can afford.
Yup. Won a trip to Vegas. And they said the value of the trip was $19,000 that means tax of like $5k or more. I didn’t think I would spend that much on Vegas if I went myself.

I was confused and would have lost if that was me on the show. The car was before the discount because OSM black was from the fall of 2018 so the price is at least 54K. It's also much cheaper than $51k if bought now if they offered that color. How is it $51.7k?
You're right it's $54K. $35k + $18k (LR AWD) + $1k (OBlack) = $54k. How did they get $2.3k less before taxes??

The show must have been filmed after Autopilot became standard but before Tesla increased prices by $400. Here's how they reached the value of $51700.

LR-AWD: $49500
Obsidian Black: $1000
Destination & doc fee: $1200

Obsidian Black, however, was not available for sale at the time of filming and hasn't been available since Q3 2018, so someone who knows Teslas may lose by guessing the 2018 pricing from when the car was last available. Also, nobody would know if the car has Full Self Driving. I suppose $51,700 is the theoretical retail price at the time of filming if such a configuration was actually available at that time.