Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model key card failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a new model Y performance about 24 days ago and used my key card and everything worked OK. My wife tried her card today and it doesn’t work. Very concerned about loosing the remaining card that still works - can’t find where I can contact tesla for a replacement+ 2 spares. The Tesla APPfailed to work also, can’t use my iPhone 12 to replace the key card. Can anyone suggest who to call with a phone number. Our location is Anderson SC, nearest Tesla car pick up location was Alpharetta - Roswell, GA, around 90 miles one way.

Colin

You need one of the original key cards to program subsequent cards. Delete hers from the onscreen security menu and then program it as a new one. Keep and mark your card a 'master.' Don't get them mixed up. Can't program a new key from a phone. See THIS post for good info.

Last edited:
You should also add both your keys to her car and vise-versa -- that way all 4 cards will work to drive either car... unless, you don't want that functionality. That's what we did. Always nice to know that, in addition to our phones, there are 3 spares around.