Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all-

I have been driving my model S frequently since fixing it up (see previous posts on battery and drive unit fiascos). Everything has been great until today, when I attempted to use a supercharger (a different location than what I typically use). I plugged the charger in and everything worked initially, however the miles/hr charge rate seemed high (it went to 350 and then dropped slowly), and after several seconds I got errors for "unable to charge" and "remove charger and try again" and "service required." I was unable to charge, the light at the charge port was red and the lock tab was up, and I got a few errors codes when I checked in service move (CHG_w062_FCPosCntrWelded and CHG_f065_FCCntrRationalitycheck). I am still able to drive, however I can no longer open the charge door. I tried a soft reset and pulling the 12v battery and fireman's loop to hard reset the car to see if it would fix things, but it did not work.

I am trying to troubleshoot now and figure out what happened. I suspect this different supercharger dumped too much electricity into the charge box and damaged the charging unit, but I am not sure. Is it possible that a fuse was blown on the inside and needs to be changed? I am posting this because I have seen little to no information on these issues. As with previous threads, I will update on this issue and what the solution ultimately is. Where are the fast charge contactors (rear hv junction box?), and how can I check if they are welded?

Attachments

• IMG_4482.jpg
    IMG_4482.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4481.jpg
    IMG_4481.jpg
    669.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4479.jpg
    IMG_4479.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4478.jpg
    IMG_4478.jpg
    711.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4477.jpg
    IMG_4477.jpg
    689 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4476.jpg
    IMG_4476.jpg
    631.1 KB · Views: 1
I found a wiring diagram and can confirm it is those yellow top pieces. I forgot to add mine is GEN1 and has both master and slaver chargers (master is the box where the wires go into the contactors, slave has no plugs for J1 and J3 on the picture. They don't appear to be serviceable, so I will look into replacing them (options available are black instead of yellow top). I will pull them tomorrow and see if anything can be done. I will also try a toolbox reset to see if it works.

Attachments

• IMG_4485.jpeg
    IMG_4485.jpeg
    700.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4491.jpeg
    IMG_4491.jpeg
    603 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4493.jpeg
    IMG_4493.jpeg
    465.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4488.jpeg
    IMG_4488.jpeg
    628.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4487.jpeg
    IMG_4487.jpeg
    609 KB · Views: 1
I can't find anything for sale that shows contactors that have four wires for each B+ and B-. All the ones I see have only one connector for both contactors (and two wires on each contactor). I wonder if this part is not made anymore- that would be a real problem.

Update-

I did a hard ECM reset for the BMS and CHG systems. After I did this I was able to open the charge door and charge the car. It is currently on a "slow" 220/240v charger and appears to be charging. I will check back periodically to make sure it is actually gaining charge and not just saying it is charging. I will not call this problem solved yet because going to a supercharger again will be the true test given the relatively large amounts of current flowing through the contactors. Will update as needed. Also, codes will appear if the lid for the junction box is not placed. Diagram attached was helpful is naming components.

Attachments

• IMG_4497.jpeg
    IMG_4497.jpeg
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I can't find anything for sale that shows contactors that have four wires for each B+ and B-. All the ones I see have only one connector for both contactors (and two wires on each contactor). I wonder if this part is not made anymore- that would be a real problem.
it might be just a redundant wires n they went away with it

Update-

I did a hard ECM reset for the BMS and CHG systems. After I did this I was able to open the charge door and charge the car. It is currently on a "slow" 220/240v charger and appears to be charging. I will check back periodically to make sure it is actually gaining charge and not just saying it is charging. I will not call this problem solved yet because going to a supercharger again will be the true test given the relatively large amounts of current flowing through the contactors. Will update as needed. Also, codes will appear if the lid for the junction box is not placed. Diagram attached was helpful is naming components.
how exactly did u reset? would be helpful to others
i think i've seen reports of others getting high current n errors after
it might be the SC issue if it had a current spike without request or maybe glitch in the charger that requested more current than intended...

Reactions: Testurs
I used toolbox 2.1. You can access "Advanced UDS" and reset by specific modules. I cannot comment on toolbox 3 since I have not messed with it yet (since my car does not use it), but I have heard that toolbox 3 is more restrictive.

You might be right on that brainhouston- I too was wondering if I just got unlucky with that specific supercharger (There was a massive current upsurge from what I recall). My S is still charging; I will go out to my usual one (which has never given a problem) later and see if it gives a similar error. Will report back once I do.

Reactions: brainhouston