Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 23 Sound System Stops Randomly Working Entirely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my new-ish 2023 Model S LR, the sound system cuts out entirely, almost every other drive. It has been an issue since I bought the car in April. It is to the point where the turn signals, navigation, music, etc do not make any sound but show that they are playing (almost as if the car is "muted"). The horn and external speaker do still work (reverse sound). Even with multiple scroll wheel resets, the issue doesn't always go away. However, when the car goes to sleep and then I come back to it (a new drive), it does go away. Tesla service has just told me multiple that "a future software update will fix it" and proceeds to cancel the appointment. I've had 5+ updates with no fix in sight.
Has anyone else experienced this?

That sucks. I have finally decided that if I fixate on the infortainment issues that I have, and the "Elon" choices built into the car that nobody asked for, it would drive me nuts. I have managed to find workarounds to most of the issues so I can enjoy some entertainement when I want to. The build quality is also sketchy in places. Even given these issues, the car at its base is fun to drive, and has been largely trouble free and maintenace free as a car. Hopefully they will fix your issue soon.

Even with multiple scroll wheel resets, the issue doesn't always go away.
Have you gotten past this problem yet?

My 2019 M3 started doing some of this in early September. Driving along, not doing anything, volume ramps up to maximum volume in about 2 seconds. This is a safety issue- scares the crap outta me as I scramble to shut it down in a panic. Steering wheel button sometimes defeats it for half a second once or twice and then has no effect. Has happened with live radio and also while I'm playing something from my phone, and turning my phone volume all the way down has no effect.

I have done the steering wheel button reset and that holds it off for a week or so, then it comes back.
I just tried to do the "Turn Off" feature from the screen but couldn't find that in all the menus in the 5 minutes before my wife had to take off in the car.

I saw that there is a "factory reset" option but I don't want to lose all the driver settings, and I don't know what other ramifications there are.
TIA.

I think either the volume on the steering wheel or on the control panel is being "pressed" due to a defect in either the button or the area on the screen. I don't think any reset will help this, and the factory reset doesn't have a "turn volume up" setting to remember. You can test the possible driver profile error by creating a new profile, called whatever you want, and try driving with it to see if the problem clears up.