Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85 research opportunity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In collaboration with a major engineering university in Tennessee, I am looking for volunteers with P85 or P85D Model S vehicles that are willing to loan their cars for the development breakthrough battery technology. The company I represent will offer to provide a rental vehicle, or to be involved with the work. The work will be reversible and your vehicle insured against damages. I would have volunteered my own vehicle but due to a scheduling conflict, I am reaching for someone in my stead. Research begins at the beginning of next month. If interested, please feel free to email me at [email protected]. The sooner, the better. This is a great opportunity for any and all EV enthusiast. Please help us shape the future.

Would an 85 or 85D work also? Is the university going to be deploying the Premergy technology you linked to? The 20% range increase does look appealing.

Anyone interested would also be concerned about warranty issues. If a problem occurs a year later and Tesla discovers that the battery or related systems have been modified in any way for an in-warranty vehicle, they might deny an in-warranty claim and instead charge the full cost of the repair. For this reason it may be good to request one of the 2012 Model S vehicles since the ones delivered before December 31, 2012 are out of warranty now.

Also I saw your other posts about modifying the vehicle software to restore the range / charging speed in older Model S vehicles. You realize that the limits were imposed by Tesla for safety reasons? By circumventing the safety limits put in place, if a problem were to happen, you would be putting yourself in a precarious position. I would stay on the side of safety and just leave the limits there.

Last edited:
. You realize that the limits were imposed by Tesla for safety reasons? By circumventing the safety limits put in place, if a problem were to happen, you would be putting yourself in a precarious position. I would stay on the side of safety and just leave the limits there.
Tesla has never issues a recall or safety notice for the battery crippling updates you mentioned and repairing your own car to full functionality is reasonable. If there are any safety concerns stemming from restoring a batterygated battery that isn't pushing any visible errors, Tesla assumes ALL legal responsibilities. If they had followed recall law requiring public notifications of safety changes, you would be able to look up your VIN on the NHTSA website to see if your battery is potentially affected by a safety problem. Failure to comply with a recall shifts responsibility off if Tesla but failure to disclose a safety problem amplifies Tesla's responsibility.

In collaboration with a major engineering university in Tennessee, I am looking for volunteers with P85 or P85D Model S vehicles that are willing to loan their cars for the development breakthrough battery technology. The company I represent will offer to provide a rental vehicle, or to be involved with the work. The work will be reversible and your vehicle insured against damages. I would have volunteered my own vehicle but due to a scheduling conflict, I am reaching for someone in my stead. Research begins at the beginning of next month. If interested, please feel free to email me at [email protected]. The sooner, the better. This is a great opportunity for any and all EV enthusiast. Please help us shape the future.

Email sent.