Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Model 3 Battery Pack/Module Applications Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVPartsSol

Global Vendor
Feb 2, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Hello TMC,

Some of you know me well in this community, and I am sure many of you do not. My name is Henry Newman, I have a dismantling shop, EV Parts Solutions in Phoenix AZ where we specialize in Tesla dismantling. I have been parting out Tesla and other EVs for 8 years now and have seen the industry change quite a bit in that time. The Model S, being the flagship that it is, has obviously sold consistently well over the years. There has also been substantial aftermarket support in both the customization and repair of driving vehicles, as well as the boom in 'EV conversion' and 'DIY power storage' spaces. The Model S battery modules have been a popular benchmark in this battery market for some time and are very popular due to their versatile shape and weight-to-capacity ratio. The Model 3 and Model Y battery have never gained the same popularity. This is not surprising, they are exponentially bigger and not as easy to use in smaller applications.

Today, though, I wanted to create this thread as a spot for individuals and companies that have experience using these Model 3 packs to talk about what they have done with these batteries. We need to figure out a feasible way to recycle these! We know and work with several EV companies across the nation so if you are one of them, hop in this discussion!

I am genuinely just interested in what everyone else out there is doing with these batteries. Please share whatever you have, we can all help each other keep these batteries on the road and in use.

Henry
EVPS

IMG_2010.jpg

Do you have any experience with the LFP modules? I'm curious if they can be broken down into 48v or smaller modules.
Not OP, but I have cut apart LFP batteries before into 48V and smaller modules. I also worked with an EV conversion shop that has done the same.

Also, see this new thread for how Tesla 3 and Y batteries can now be used for solar storage:

What is your application? Solar storage? Cheapest will be some long modules from 3/Y packs that were damaged. But you need lots of hardware to get them wired up safely. It's best to buy a complete back that has a little damage on the casing, easier to wire when used with HV 400V inverters.