Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Accident/Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anyone who doesn't think a thermal failure references the pack?
I don't.

More specifically, I'm not clear what it refers to. I read it as "thermal failure with one or more parts of the vehicle". For all I know it could be the fog lights that experienced said failure.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI - More details I've picked up from sources - Car was a 2012 Sig, VIN ***0489 (report obstructed some numbers of the VIN).
A moment of silence.

Will be interesting to know the cause of re-ignition. Obviously there would be hot metal there that can reignite something.
It doesn't have to be anything but flammable liquid. As a chemist I've been through an extensive fire exercise. In one case a fireman had a metal tub filled with pure ethanol that he ignited and we took turns using a fire extinguisher to extinguish. After about the 5th person the tub would after about 30 seconds reignite all by itself. Either because the steel tub or the ethanol itself was so hot it ignited. So burning plastics with hot asphalt can propably do this as well.

Cobos

This was just posted on ABG:

Tesla Model S catches fire near Seattle, no injuries reported

It has a press release from Tesla.

Note: In my opinion a low number Sig owner has no nefarious intent. I fully believe that a metal object on the ground could rupture the battery pack.

Personal story: When I was very young my father stuck a metal pipe on the ground in the middle of nowhere puncturing his gas tank. Our indication was watching the gas gauge drop fairly rapidly. My father floored the car to get us to a gas station within the next 5 minutes as we arrived the nearly full tank was empty. In retrospect this was probably a very unsafe thing to do but we arrived safely and had to spend the day in a small town while the gas tank was repaired.

Struck metal object is believed to have caused a thermal failure. Countermeasures kicked in and gave the driver a warning. Driver had time to exit the vehicle and call authorities. Car performed as it was designed, with a notification to the drive to pull over the vehicle. Incident was NOT spontaneous and was contained to the front of the vehicle thanks to the design and construction of the vehicle and battery pack.

I wonder who also thought it was something like that.

Life is all about timing.

I am curious. Who was the driver of the Model S? How long did the driver own the car? What is driver's political background? What is the driver's investment background?

Millions of dollars will cross the table in the next few days. I am a curious sort of fellow.

I am not implying anything nefarious. That said, I think a very objective investigation should be undertaken, and a tremendous amount of open-ended questions should be asked.

Get in the queue after objective investigations for:

1. deceptive advertising (5.4 star extrapolation, true cost of ownership calculator, showing net price vs. gross price, delivery timing for different car tiers)
2. safety issues (21" premature wear on unobservable inside shoulders, older style door handles opening doors by themselves)
3. inconsistent treatment for replacing inverters for humming on acceleration

Something about glass houses and stones.

I love tesla too, it's just a tough love.

*getting*popcorn*

Sorry, can't find red letters. Is it OK if I continue in boring black? I didn't accuse anyone in particular, but if the shoe fits, CO, feel free to put it on.

I was actually expressing surprise by the rampant speculation in the absence of factual data on both sides of the argument...

But this is fun, let me join.

I think it is most likely that holders of large TSLA short positions planted a large metal object, laced with flammable substances at this intersection, waiting for a Model S to come by and then quickly moved it in front of the approaching car.
They then blocked the cell phone connections and manufactured a traffic jam to prevent police from quickly getting to the site.
They continued to drive their story by posing as fire fighters and pretending to fight the fire while in fact waiting for the planted "random bystanders" to take cell phone pictures and videos to post all over the web.
They also abducted the driver so she can't tell what truly happened. (or maybe she was part of the setup... not sure about that one - but it definitely was a woman)

I think this matches all the known facts and is the best explanation of what happened.

*facepalm*
You forgot the part about how someone used the REST API security "flaw" to take control of the model S to steer it into the large metal object. That's much more plausible than they "quickly moved it in front of" it. Occam's Razor dude!

The underbelly is smooth--there are a number of plastic (?) panels to smooth the airflow, so something would need to punch through the the panels then into the internals underneath the car.

O

fe_9171228_600.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Really gives a good picture of what is breakable on the bottom part of the car (not much). I think someone said the battery casing is quarter inch steel, is that right?

The car lowers at highway speed, too, right? That might explain how something could actually hit and penetrate such a protective shell.

Get in the queue after objective investigations for:

1. deceptive advertising (5.4 star extrapolation, true cost of ownership calculator, showing net price vs. gross price, delivery timing for different car tiers)
2. safety issues (21" premature wear on unobservable inside shoulders, older style door handles opening doors by themselves)
3. inconsistent treatment for replacing inverters for humming on acceleration

Something about glass houses and stones.

I love tesla too, it's just a tough love.

Give me a break. News flash--these are cars--things will happen.

Which one do you own?

Thanks for posting this. Really gives a good picture of what is breakable on the bottom part of the car (not much). I think someone said the battery casing is quarter inch steel, is that right?

The car lowers at highway speed, too, right? That might explain how something could actually hit and penetrate such a protective shell.

I believe its a ballistic shield. I highly doubt something penetrated through that.

I believe its a ballistic shield. I highly doubt something penetrated through that.

Hmm.. something doesn't add up. The data gives me a pretty high confidence there was pack involvement. And the driver claims he hit something, but the shielding should be darn near impenetrable.

1 of those 3 things must be wrong!

Unless the pack failed on its own, and the burst panels caused a noise that the driver assumed was him hitting something. This is obviously worst case possible event scenario, but also the lowest likelihood.

Hmm.. something doesn't add up. The data gives me a pretty high confidence there was pack involvement. And the driver claims he hit something, but the shielding should be darn near impenetrable.

1 of those 3 things must be wrong!

Unless the pack failed on its own, and the burst panels caused a noise that the driver assumed was him hitting something. This is obviously worst case possible event scenario, but also the lowest likelihood.

Did I misinterpret this thread? I didn't think that yobig20 was saying the cause of the fire was the ballistic shield, I thought he was just explaining the photo you (pfq1982) posted earlier and responding to what the "panel" or "shield" was made of and specs on thickness...

Give me a break. News flash--these are cars--things will happen.

Which one do you own?

I don't own a Tesla. After a few iterations of the technology and once the kinks have been worked out, I'm a highly interested buyer.

I feel zero urgency to endure all the growing pains I read about on the forum. When Teslas are fives times as popular and 10% as cool, I won't feel like I've missed a thing :)

I don't own a Tesla. After a few iterations of the technology and once the kinks have been worked out, I'm a highly interested buyer.

I feel zero urgency to endure all the growing pains I read about on the forum. When Teslas are fives times as popular and 10% as cool, I won't feel like I've missed a thing :)

Had a feeling you didn't by your negative tone. Always easy to stand on the sideline and cast stones. These are cars so chill out--ALL manufacturers have some issue or another from time to time.

Might want to be careful with the tone, as some might think you are trolling, especially since you don't even own one.

Did I misinterpret this thread? I didn't think that yobig20 was saying the cause of the fire was the ballistic shield, I thought he was just explaining the photo you (pfq1982) posted earlier and responding to what the "panel" or "shield" was made of and specs on thickness...

I think you misinterpreted my note. Or, more likely, my note wasn't clear.

I was just pointing out that if:

A. main pack was involved in the fire (as I believe the evidence points to), and
B. the driver really did hit something, and
C. the ballistic shield battery casing is nigh impenetrable,

then what explains the fire? One of these must be wrong (A most likely?), or there is alternate explanation not presenting itself to me.