Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Accident/Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From article Tesla says car fire began in battery after crash - Yahoo Finance:

Under normal circumstances, investigators from NHTSA, the government's auto safety watchdog, would travel to Washington state to investigate the Tesla crash. But with the partial government shutdown, NHTSA's field investigations have been suspended.

I don't know if that's true about the NHTSA getting involved in an accident like this but it's a shame that they are unavailable. An 3rd party review of the crash would help. The fringe groups (both positive and negative) would still go at it but the rational middle ground would get the truth.

From article Tesla says car fire began in battery after crash - Yahoo Finance:

I don't know if that's true about the NHTSA getting involved in an accident like this but it's a shame that they are unavailable. An 3rd party review of the crash would help. The fringe groups (both positive and negative) would still go at it but the rational middle ground would get the truth.

I don't think they send out investigators to the 187,000 fires that happen every year. And no one was even hurt.

The available evidence obviously must have been consistent with the hypothesis that you denied, because it in fact was true.
Incorrect.
1. I can make all kinds of assertions and whether they later turn out to be fact has no relationship to whether there was evidence to support those assertions at the time I made them. For example, suppose I said the stock will close between $7000 and $7001 on January 27th, 2020. Now suppose it actually does that. Would you be willing to say "the evidence on 2013/10/03 supports the stock being between $7000 and $7001 on 2020/07/27"? I wouldn't.
2. I didn't deny your hypothesis. I said I didn't see facts supporting it.

The Model S experienced a cascade failure of the main battery pack, in this case limited to a single module. This failure caused a devastating fire, of which I posted a video, both in this thread, and in the primary discussion thread of the incident

This video is in fact "data" that is by definition "consistent with" a "cascade failure of the main battery pack," because such a cascade failure should produce a massive fire at the front of the vehicle for reasons I repeatedly discussed elsewhere.
I thought it was previously established in this thread that there are at least two significantly different understandings of "cascade failure" in this thread.

Did we have evidence on 10/2 that at least 2 modules burned inside the main battery pack? To me, 1 module does not imply cascade failure.

Perhaps if you defined what you meant by cascade failure it might have helped, otherwise I'm free to apply any reasonable definition for cascade failure and there are several definitions that the evidence did not support.

Another definition of cascade failure would imply all 16 module would have to catch fire for it to be a "full cascade failure". By that definition, I'm not sure even you'd say we have evidence of that (yet?) but I could be wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Your own contribution (if I recall correctly, and if not I apologize), was that an impact with the fog lamps caused the fire. The kind of impact described was certainly capable of disrupting the electrical wires in the front of the car, causing a short, which in turn could cause a fire. Given the non-spontaneous nature of the event, this actually seemed more plausible to me than the 12v theory. But it suffers even more from the general lack of combustible materials, along with the low voltage nature of the wiring.
To be clear, this was a random example of a component in the front that could theoretically spark something interesting not a proposed hypothesis. I think you got that, but I figured it's worth making that clearer in case others didn't.

Feel sorry for Elon. He gets too little sleep as it is. I imagine he'll be on this day and night until completely figured out.

One thing I'm confident of is that Elon's investigation and analysis will be far more detailed and accurate than any government worker.

Catastrophic Cascade of the Main Pack
We now know that the pack in fact suffered a catastrophic cascade in at least one module.
It seems clear from this phrasing that you are using the term "catastrophic cascade" to refer to things that can happen "within a module" whereas at least some of us were using the term to speak "across modules". Further the use of "catastrophic" suggests that the whole pack is put at risk and/or destroyed, which I don't think is appropriate when we're talking about only 1 of the 16 modules.

Perhaps you should start saying "cascade within a module in the main pack" for clarity.

I think that the most important thing here is how quickly the Tesla team diagnoses the cause and implements any necessary changes to solve the issues. I have faith that the engineers at Tesla are already on top of this and are examining every aspect of the crash and fire. The team has been very responsive to needed design changes in the past, even for very minor issues, and anything needs to be fixed or re-designed it will mean a safer Model S for all of us. Given the amount of data that Tesla keeps on its cars, they should be able to diagnose the cause quickly and accurately. Back in the day, Volvo used to have a large team that investigated every major crash involving one of their cars. It seems to me that Tesla is even more obsessed with safety than Volvo was, so I'm sure that the result of this and all future MS accidents will result in even better, safer cars in the future.

(a) watching the video, the first thing I noticed was the gigantic blowtorches coming up from the wheel wells. (b) This was highly consistent with what I knew of the fire control system and what to expect from a failure of the main pack. I'm sure that you can find similar displays from an ICE fire, but it was quite spectacular and something I found very worrisome given the general lack of available fuel compared to an ICE.

(a) at the 15 second mark I saw a spark that seemed to come from the general area at the front of the car where the heavy structural members connect to the bumper, (b) exactly where I expected channels to be. (a) The spark flared into a big puff and was accompanied by a popping sound, like a backfire. I replayed that at least 5 times in the first few minutes after I found the video, (b) and I was extremely worried that it looked a lot like super hot (maybe gaseous?) lithium which had come from the channel, hit free oxygen and explosively combusted.
I don't recall discussion like this prior to this post. This is what I was asking for that I didn't find in the prior posts: evidence (a) coupled with analysis (b). If you had verbalized more of (a) in your initial posts rather than just offering (b) we might have been more aligned. Something to consider for future discussions.

Does that come in the Tech Package now?
It's in the Tech Plus package, but the flux capacitor is on back-order. Also, the retrofit cost is $88,000.

Tesla is aware of the irony of the part "what makes time travel possible" (bad grammar to preserve quote integrity) being not available in the present and that it seems like they should just send it back in time from the future factory. Internal sources say it's a regulatory issue with time travel and what they didn't say in their press release about the recent Tesla fire is very telling in that regard. We also have a lot to say about reports of Tesla abusing enslaved unicorns based on what was missing from their official statement about the fire incident. Read more on jalopnik about this theory.

Here's what's in the area where the fire was located. You can see the front end of the battery pack at the very top of the image, located well behind the crumple zone. It is my understanding that this part of the battery, which is taller and narrower than the rest of the pack, contains control gear and not batteries.
My understanding is that section contains two of the 16 modules. There they are stacked vertcally instead of side-by-side.

And it begins....

" The investigation concerns whether Tesla and certain of its officers and/or directors have violated Sections 10(b) and 20(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.* In an August 19, 2013 press release, Tesla touted its Model S as having achieved the "best safety rating of any car ever tested" by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ("NHTSA").**On October 2, 2013, an analyst downgraded Tesla due to "execution risk."* Later the same day, a Model S burst into flames following a purported collision, with Tesla later admitting that the fire began in its battery pack.*"

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/10/03/5271623/shareholder-alert-pomerantz-law.html

And it begins....

" The investigation concerns whether Tesla and certain of its officers and/or directors have violated Sections 10(b) and 20(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.* In an August 19, 2013 press release, Tesla touted its Model S as having achieved the "best safety rating of any car ever tested" by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ("NHTSA").**On October 2, 2013, an analyst downgraded Tesla due to "execution risk."* Later the same day, a Model S burst into flames following a purported collision, with Tesla later admitting that the fire began in its battery pack.*"

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/10/03/5271623/shareholder-alert-pomerantz-law.html

Ah yes, the utmost respected people, next to politicians, appear...

I don't recall discussion like this prior to this post. This is what I was asking for that I didn't find in the prior posts: evidence (a) coupled with analysis (b). If you had verbalized more of (a) in your initial posts rather than just offering (b) we might have been more aligned. Something to consider for future discussions.

He actually did. He explained how his knowledge of the battery vent systems was consistent with the flame pattern in the video. What more do you want from him?

You, on the other hand, wrote a dozen posts questioning folks' conclusions derived from knowledge + analyzing tesla's statements + analyzing the video. As initial theories (12V, brake fire, collision) evolved into battery pack involvement, you became alarmist and defensive. Cap Opp and others who shared their knowledge and responded to questions were tremendously helpful. However, I missed your generally helpful comments and extensive knowledge about Tesla on this thread.