Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S AP1 compared to Model 3 AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In general lane keeping is more correct in harder circumstances but AP2 is more prone to make sharp/sudden movements too which can be scarier or unsettling. AP1 likes to be buttery smooth even at the expense of not correctly following sharp curves or irregular lane lines in construction zones or subdivisions.

Pro's

Better lane keeping, and you'll probably feel more comfortable as the car isn't as wide.

Better ability to stop for stationary cars like fire trucks, and police vehicles. Not that you should trust it to do so, but just that it might be better at this.

Con

With AP1 you probably don't experience much if any phantom braking. With AP2 you'll experience it a lot more. In the insurance institute test they encountered it TWELVE times. Yowsers.

Unknown

We don't know how well it stops for pedestrians.

Keep in mind that when you take delivery not to pay too much attention to it. In a month or two version 9 will be released, and it's likely going change things quite a bit. I expect things like blind spot monitoring to get MUCH better with AP2, but AP1 won't change in that regard.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kant.Ing
AP2 won't follow the car in front of you when he changes lanes.

New firmware fixed a lot of issues with AP2.

• Phantom braking will happen but EAP learns and it won't happen again at the same location and time. I have 0 phantom braking now on my daily routes.
  • EAP also has wider vision now. It's not slamming on the brakes as much when people changes lanes close to my car.
  • Still gets confused when going 1 to 4 MPH but happens less now.
  • It moves out of the way when near walls. Before it stays center even when a barrier is on the left lane. Now the car will move slightly to the right. Not sure what will happen if a biker goes by at the same time though. AP1 does this but now AP2 does it as well.

Similar situation here - I have an AP1 Model S, and this is my second longish drive with new P3D+. The main diff so far is that the nag warning requires ->actual force<- to dismiss, while the AP1 car just requires my hand on the wheel. Another thing to re-calibrate on the Mark I human.

As far as lane keeping, following distance, etc - Seems fairly similar, perhaps a bit better. Need more miles to be sure.