Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S as a Long Range Commuter Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would also get a white car with the white interior. Arizona summers can be brutal. 220 miles is easy. Your phantom drain will be at most 5 miles if sentry is off. Charged to 350 and you'll be fine. I've done many trips like this. I just did a couple of hundred miles and left the car for 15 days, (a raven long range X), and came home with 70 miles of range.

Agree on white, the southwestern thinking persons color of choice, lol.

However a car cover will help a lot in keeping the car cooler and cleaner, esp if you choose another color.

I’m telling you. 99 times out of 100 you won’t need to make a stop. A long range Model S can make this round trip no problem, at almost any semi-socially-acceptable freeway speed you wish to drive. I understand your hesitation but it’s just not warranted in this situation.
In Arizona most people drive a minimum of 80 MPH, but if he has access to 120 Volt outlet at the airport, it won't really matter, as he can fully charge the car while he is traveling.

Would really surprise me if an MS w/ 390 range couldn’t do a round trip of 220 w/ two or three days sitting in the middle. Frankly I don’t think it will even be close.

I think it’s more the elevation changes. He will probably be fine. It would be ideal if he drove uphill to work and downhill to home since he’d leave home with a full charge.

I drive 120-200 miles a day, and sometimes do this 6-7 days a week. I got the MS for the sole reason of the long drive. The autopilot does wonders on driving fatigue after long shifts, and especially if you do have any stop and go traffic. Like others have said, the "splash and dash" supercharging is less work than you may expect. If I need it, I can make a 15min stop and add that little bit extra I need to get where I'm going. I usually see 300-500mi/hr of charging speed. All not to mention the fuel savings for such a drive. Get it and don't look back.

Someone also said what I was thinking; if you can park at a 110v and use your mobile connector, who cares how slow it charges. You'll be set when you return.

Agree on white, the southwestern thinking persons color of choice, lol.

However, a car cover will help a lot in keeping the car cooler and cleaner, esp if you choose another color.

I bought the Evannex cover for my new “S”.....it was very tight at first, but after 3 put-ons and take-offs, it is the best fitting cover I have ever had....Tight fitting and a perfect size......very easy to put on and take off....Has a bag to put it is and fit great in the truck....has a nice inside soft lining that will not scratch.....visit their site and check it out......

evannex.com