Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S can be recharged faster than filling a gas tank.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, but there are still 7000 individual 3.3V cells in the battery. At 400V you can't just divide it evenly and just give each cell 0.5V to charge with - it won't work.

So I assume there must be something like a rolling wave of charge going across the battery.

With higher voltage you would just increase the number of cells that are charging simultaneously. You can in theory charge with 24'500 Volts and evenly divided you'll put out 3.5V per cell.

The cells are bundled, like in a racing car battery, and need load balancing during charging to be equal in voltage around less than 1 millivolt. Sometimes I wish things would work easier :) .

Thats the most likely thing.

Im amazed how much attention the Battery swapping gets, although it doesn't fit anything that Elon mentioned in the past.
Guys thats a Tesla Forum, please stop suggesting boring non-innovative ideas, thats not what Tesla or Musk stands for.

I agree, Tesla has some brilliant minds that could surely come up with more innovative charging methods than swapping batteries. What about inductive charging? Given the large skateboard design of the battery pack it just might be a possibility.