Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: Charge Time Remaining calculation is now incorrect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Only Trons

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2013
Northern Virginia
Just recently – within the past couple of weeks – the Charge Time Remaining calculation when charging at home is off by nearly a factor of 2. This problem may have been coincident with my last firmware update. I have a 2013 S 85 with firmware version 2019.24.4. Power level at charger is fine; and in fact, this incorrect calculation does not occur on my 2016 X using the same charging equipment.

For example, when I expect charging time to be about 15 - 20 minutes or so, the estimated charge time is displayed as 55 minutes. The car correctly stops charging at the selected battery level (I typically charge to 80%). Just before it completes charging, the estimated charge time remaining shows to be about 20 or 30 minutes; then the car completes charging and “Charge Completed” is shown (as it should be).

Anyone else noticing this error in the Charge Time Remaining calculation? Note: I’ve not checked this at a supercharger.

Yes. Battery seems to be fine otherwise. I haven't tested the range on a long drive yet to determine if there is a range problem. At 80% the battery indicates about 200 miles, which is what it was indicating prior to this new issue.

I did try MCU reboot, power down car, etc.

An update on my situation as reported first on August 5 (upthread).

I started getting brief “Vehicle Needs Service” alerts, which would typically clear after several seconds. I decided to see if the car would charge to 100% and see what the rated miles were for a full battery. The battery charged to 245 miles. Brand new the battery charged to 255 miles, so not too bad. I drove the vehicle for about 30 statute miles, monitoring consumption rate and rated miles. Everything seemed to be correct. But the estimated charging time still is way off.

I made an appointment with Tesla Service for this upcoming Tuesday, and I just received my Service Estimate from them via email. I’ve cut and pasted below two of the items from the service estimate.

Concern: Customer states: Two "Vehicle Need Service alerts: 8/7/2019 at 6:20 a.m. EDT, and 8/9/2019 at 1:35 pm EDT.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: DCDC Converter - 1st Generation (Remove & Replace)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

ASY,DCDC CONVERTER-HVJB,DCDC,REFURBISHED (1458271-00-J) 1.0

Concern: Customer states: Recently, vehicle's estimated time to complete charging has been incorrect --- the estimate
displayed by the car is about 30 minutes beyond what is required/normal. For example, to add 10 miles on my NEMA 10-
50 normally takes about 20 minutes. Now the estimates shows 55 minutes or so. The car will finish charging in about 10
minutes, at which time the "estimated time" is displaying about 30 minutes remaining.
Correction: HV Battery Swap (Remove & Replace)

It appears I am getting a replacement HV battery, in addition to a new DCDC converter. It will be interesting to see "what" I get. It's obvious from the description of the DCDC converter part that this is refurbished. Not clear about the HV battery.

There are a couple of other items on the service request that I've not listed here. One is the charge port --- this will be the third replacement in the past 6 months.

• Informative
Reactions: erik_k