Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S crashed through restaurant wall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the second link, more informative. Those non-Tesla cars (Nissan? and Audi) that were pictured on the webpage in store-front crashes definitely went way into those stores and looks like the Tesla was stopped at the building wall. They show some damaged safety glass being removed from the sidewalk, has to be from the store window that shattered (probably building stress of the impact). First article did say the driver hit the accelerator instead of the brake. Happens more times than I think people realize.

If you don't play the video in the second link here's what they reported, the lady and her 95-year old brother were sitting outside the restaurant. She suffered some injuries (arm and ribs) when the table she was sitting at got pushed into her. The brother had more serious injuries (assume from the broken window glass). Both were taken to the hospital. Tough being hurt at that age and hope he'll be okay. The guy inside wasn't hit by glass but somehow suffered some neck injury from the impact. The Tesla driver was treated and released. Could have been much worse and something you hope you are never a part of (driver or victim).

Last edited:
Except that, in this case, the driver apparently acknowledged stepping on the accelerator by mistake. What remains frustrating is that, of the three similar accidents cited in the article, only the one involving the Tesla was called out by name.
That does appear to be the case, but doesn't matter for the Tesla haters, shorts, or anyone else that would love nothing more than to see Tesla fail. In the age of click-bait an "alternative facts" where any incident can be spun and twisted to frame it in any negative way, it's unfortunate. I'm sure these kinds of incidents happen daily all over the world, but every time it is a Tesla, it gets mentioned specifically, even though the cause was human error.

If people know it's an autopilot Tesla there is naturally interest there. As other manufacturer cars come out with similar "autopilot" features and they are in accidents I'm sure we'll hear about them too. People are nervous about the technology. Now will they publicize the manufacturer of those other vehicles, I would hope so for public information. Tesla's been working on their software for some time and I honestly would feel better about knowing so many owners are out there using it (with few reports of accidents with it) than trusting some car company that is relying on some third party company to provide their software and know it was customized for that particular car and providing updates for it. Maybe other manufacturers won't be doing regular updates like Tesla does. Time will tell.