Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S damaged at SC 1 day before delivery. What should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I was in the same boat as you are now with my X 60D delivery, show up damage and we decided to have it repair and repaint, it was a minor issue, look back now I would say this.

Request for a new car!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't think about anything other than what I just wrote!

It looks like they may need to order a new panel over the wheel - and repaint it to match your body color. No matter how hard they try, it will never be a 100% match to the rest of the car, and will be easily detected when you try to sell the car. Though a good body shop should be able to get the paint close enough to look OK.

Looks like the rim & tire might also have to be replaced, and based on the location of the damage, the alignment might have to be adjusted.

No matter what Tesla does with this car, it will not be a "new" car - it will have less value. If they are willing to give you a reasonable discount, then you can make a financial decision - get a discount on the car now, accepting the fact that you'll lose some of that discount later when you go to re-sell the car OR (what I would do) request they build you a new car.

The car I purchased before our VIN 3xxx Model S was a Lexus. The car had some minor damage during transport. The Lexus dealer notified us of the problem, apologized for the delay in delivery and promised to get us a replacement as soon as they could. They never even offered us the option to purchase the repaired car or give us a discount off our purchase price.

Yes, I don't know what the laws are in your state, but just about every state (if not every state) has a law that prohibits selling a car as "new" if a certain dollar amount of damage or repairs have been done prior to delivery. You ought to check on that. There are a lot of good reasons to insist on a new car, as others have mentioned.

As long as they provide you with a loaner, don't bring up any extra compensation for your time and troubles. That's what the loaner is. Fight bigger battles.

One thing to keep in mind is it is a Tesla.

Someone will inevitably run into it. :p

To the one who didn't get this.

The first page of comments established that the best course of action for the OP was to request a new car.

But, then I was thinking what would happen as soon as the OP got the new car? Someone would run into it because that's the humor of life. You spend all this time waiting for a new car, and then you're back in the same boat.

Sure hopefully that won't happen, and statistically it's not likely. But, it's a joke about how life goes.

Looks like it was slammed against a metal corner. Suspension might've gotten damaged as well as body. Looks like a decent amount of force. I'd demand a new car be expedited.

I wouldn't worry about getting it expedited, there isn't a delay on production of Model S right now. Configurator is quoting May delivery for custom builds and 14 day delivery for Inventory.

I'd just keep track of the VIN of the damaged car and compare to the VIN of whatever they offer you coming down the road.

To me the choices are

* CPO
* Inventory
* Custom Build

Pick one and ask for an undamaged car but don't push for every concession under the sun (waiving fees or expediting) just ask for what you want and let them schedule it. It shouldn't drag out unless they don't agree to terms.

There is no way I'd take possession of that car (without a HEFTY discount). In fact, I'd be somewhat insulted that they'd think I was enough of a pushover to believe I'd accept a repaired car as brand new.

My advice: Refuse the car and ask for the exact same configuration to be delivered as soon as possible.

Is that damage the rear quarter panel? Yuck - worst location as (unlike a door, hood or even fender) it's not an "unbolt it and bolt on a new one - with painting of course). If you keep it, you need a discount. It's called a "Diminished Value" claim. Basically, your car has now lost some value as a result of another's negligence and insurance companies pay it all the time (although they like to feign ignorance about it). The DV argument is simple: Two owners go to sell their identical cars, except ONE of them has been in an accident and repaired. Which one is "worth" more. The reality is, EVERY buyer chooses the car that has not been in the accident when the price is the same. In order to choose the car that was in an accident (if they even will) they need a financial incentive (i.e. a discount)...the only question is "how much". There are actually calculations around this tat typically involve the worth of the vehicle and cost of repair.

OR...you could just insist on another car. I like the idea of a discounted inventory car with even more options!

Reactions: vdiv
Don't accept it. Rear quarter is part of the body frame. Any deformation/welding/painting in that area might attract future corrosion and this piece can never be replaced.
I had a BMW that was accident repaired to perfection above the rear wheel and it rusted like crazy right there a few years later. The rest of the car remained rust free. Tesla is of course aluminum but still.

Reactions: vdiv