Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S expensive repair making me feel like I'm losing the faith...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you compare to a Japanese car, the repair cost is high. If you compare to Mercedes or BMW, it is about the same per repair, but I hope Tesla will require less repairs as it has less mechanical parts. Our X5 parts started breaking as soon as the warranty went out. Every repair is about $1200 to $3000. I don't think I have ever has a repair on the BMW less than $1200 or more than $3000. It is like a magic number they came up with that you will likely to fix it in that price range.

If you compare to a Japanese car, the repair cost is high. If you compare to Mercedes or BMW, it is about the same per repair, but I hope Tesla will require less repairs as it has less mechanical parts. Our X5 parts started breaking as soon as the warranty went out. Every repair is about $1200 to $3000. I don't think I have ever has a repair on the BMW less than $1200 or more than $3000. It is like a magic number they came up with that you will likely to fix it in that price range.

Difference is I can get OEM parts and do the labor myself on european and japanese cars... I just read someones power steering rack fell apart at under 50K miles due to bolts backing off, they quoted him $1920 just for the rack. That's pretty costly for a rack no? I guess this car isn't DIY friendly just yet. If that changes, I will be a happy camper.

I went without the extended warranty after passing the original warranty (48k or 55k miles I can't recall) and regret it. A year and a few ~$1,000 repair jobs later I bought an independent auto warranty from Car Shield. They just paid for a door handle fix and it was a bit of a hassle as they balked at the $175/hr labor fee but with enough arguing they are paying it. Cost me $5200 for a 4 year/48k mile with $100 deductible. Even if all I end up needing over the next four years is door handle replacements that almost pays for the plan. And I fully expect the AC or MCU to die eventually which will again justify the expense.

the repair which consisted of 2.5 hours of labor + about $50 in parts.

Cost me $5200 for a 4 year/48k mile with $100 deductible. Even if all I end up needing over the next four years is door handle replacements that almost pays for the plan.

How do you figure that? You said that the door handle repair cost $487.50, and you had a $100 deductible. So if all you get is 4 door handles repaired it cost you $5,600 (assuming they come one at a time.) But the actual cost to repair them was only $1,950. That would mean you over-paid by $3,650; I wouldn't call that "almost pays for the plan".

How do you figure that? You said that the door handle repair cost $487.50, and you had a $100 deductible. So if all you get is 4 door handles repaired it cost you $5,600 (assuming they come one at a time.) But the actual cost to repair them was only $1,950. That would mean you over-paid by $3,650; I wouldn't call that "almost pays for the plan".

The original quote on the door handle was up to $950 depending on what they found when taking it apart. Luckily they only needed $145 in parts not $500 in parts as they did not replace the entire unit. So it was $145 in parts + $325 in labor give or take a few dollars.

Yes and both of them were repaired by a Tesla approved body shop, and one of them was recertified by Tesla. Those issues came up long after the accident, so yes I can speak on the quality.
No, this is the whole reason why salvages cars get branded. Parts that seem to be fine after a major accident make break years down the road due to some unseen damage caused during the crash or flood.

I'm not saying Tesla's are reliable or anything, just that failures in a salvage car mean nothing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Nope, you're about par for the course. The older cars are full of expensive repairs. "new" ones havent seen the same time/abuse as the old ones so we'll see how they fare.

Tesla has replaced my 6 month old X's charge port 4 times. New front windshield. New driver's seat. New B pillar camera. New visors. New back glass.

Yeah, I don't think age has anything to do with it.

Reactions: jaguar36
$2400 for a heater problem? $2000 for a charge port? The idea here isn't about personal finances, it's about getting what you pay for. These are fairly expensive cars, you'd expect them to be built to a certain standard. I have 2 MS (2013 and 2014), and both of them have needed quite a bit of things replaced during my ownership (drive units, 17" screen, tie rods, control arms, wheel hub and bearings etc) and I have yet to hit 50K miles on either one.

Not everyone can/wants to drop of their MS at the dealer and pay a 4K repair bill. That's ludicrous. I thought the idea of Tesla was to make reliable "1 million mile" capable vehicles. With the influx of DU's being replaced and other door handle gremlins, I am starting to debate the quality of these cars.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Tesla's and will always keep one around, but that doesn't change the fact that I had to change my drive unit under 50K miles. So when I run out of warranty and have to pay 12K again before 100K miles for another one, will I be happy? I doubt it.
20 years ago, I'd listen to BMW owners who'd brag that they found a tune up not for the usual $1,800 but got it for only $1,400.
And then you can talk Porsche or even Jag or many British luxury cars of the past. Perhaps someone could tells us how much a heater core replacement on a Range Rover or a Jag costs? A dealer charge? As I remember you have to remove the entire dash, so it cost a lot.

I agree, if you pay 2 or 3 times the price of an average car why would you expect the repairs to be cheap. Don't be foolish. Buy what you can afford to spend. So right now, there are no Tesla models I can/want to afford. But I still appreciate and love the car. Loved many Ferrari too, just can't afford one. And not to forget that E-type Jag ... just ask Elon how dependable those were. I don't think he even got his home before he was stranded at the side of the road. Real love/hate relation with cars. (Back in the 60s we had to re-build the carburetors every year... so much better in the last 20/30 years that is for sure.)

Last edited:
Reactions: KidDoc
With my high mileage Tesla, I have gotten into the DIY repairs myself. I just changed out my brake pads and rotors. Not difficult, and the parts were cheap and available via aftermarket. I have fixed the drivers side door handle. Very common failure and not really that difficult of a repair if you are handy. Lots of videos on youtube how to do it. I didn't even bother buying the door handle repair kit from Tesla, just re-solderd the wire to the switch and froze it in expoxy and re-routed the wires to insure the problem never happens again (the same way anyway). The whole repair cost me $0, but a couple of hours time. Next up on the list: replace the front wheel bearings. Looks almost as easy as changing the rotors (just wish I had the parts, would have done that while doing the rotors). Most of the repairs on the Model s are actually quite easy. The biggest problem is when Tesla doesn't want to sell you parts or require getting the computer diagnostics. So far Tesla has been selling me any part I have asked for, but haven't asked for anything that touches high voltage. My understanding is that's when they balk at selling parts. It's a shame, but having independent repair shops servicing Tesla would help with a lot of the complaints I hear on these boards.

BTW, I called up Tesla's Highland park service center, Parts Department. They set me up with an order for two new wheel bearing & hub assemblies quickly and easily over the phone & email. I didn't have to go there, they are shipping me the parts same day. I am a happy with Tesla supporting me with parts for DIY service so far.

Reactions: ACA Man