Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S EZ Pass placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 (refresh) and thought I had mine properly placed. Looked at my account and I've got over 30 V-toll (not read) charges. Something ain't right! This is how I have it mounted.
Take it off and flip it upside down using the same velcro on the windshield. The transponder signal is stronger on the rt side (as you look at the writing right side up) so put that signal emitter closer to the open area on the windshield next to the mirror/camera mount instead of on the opposite side of it which appears to be partially covered up with the metallic windshield area.

Last edited:
Take it off and flip it upside down using the same velcro on the windshield. The transponder signal is stronger on the rt side (as you look at the writing right side up) so put that signal emitter closer to the open area on the windshield next to the mirror/camera mount instead of on the opposite side of it which appears to be partially covered up with the metallic windshield area.

So, like this? Horizontal and upside down?

2019-08-27_155421.jpg
2019-08-27_155421.jpg

Reactions: bhzmark
So, like this? Horizontal and upside down?

yes. reportedly the transmitter is where the PA turnpike logo side of the transponder and that puts it closer to the camera and better in the open area in the windshield. I've found that that positioning improves the transponder recognition significantly but still doesn't make it perfect and some readers still miss it. But that is the best windscreen placement. Might try on the rear window also.

Reactions: Soundchasr
What is upside down on the unit that I have? It has to be sideways to fit in the spot.

I had my transponder vertically mounted the same way in my 2015 (the previous/original owner had mounting tabs already in place there. The only difference was I had it mounted the other way so the fatter side was closer to the rear view mirror. I never had a problem with a toll being read.

In my 2019, I have the transponder mounted horizontally to the right of the rear view as close as it can be to the top of the windshield and the mirror mount. Also works fine.