Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - FAQs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suspension question:
What is the ground clearance (both front and back) for the different suspension settings?
I don't know if the January information is still valid or not.
Walter Franck said:
Dynamics on how the active air suspense will handle when corn[er]ing is to be announced, but I can expand upon the height levels. Manual Adjustments are as follows:
•Normal height = 6”
•High Level 1 = 0.90” taller; When the vehicle accelerates above 19 mph, the clearance adjusts back to Normal height.
•High level 2 = 1.3” above Standard and can be used for ascending a steep driveway or fording deep snow. Clearance reverts to High Level 1 above 10 mph.
•Low Level = 0.79” under Standard; Active Air Suspension will automatically lower the vehicle for highway driving to improve aerodynamics. Low Level is also accessible from the touchscreen for loading/unloading of passengers. When the vehicle begins driving the clearance adjusts back to Normal height.
•The suspension will also self-level the car. For example if you load a lot of weight in the trunk the vehicle will remain level.

I'm confused, because on this page: Model S Specs and Standard Features | Tesla Motors
It shows the 6" "ground clearance" specifically pointing to the rear of the vehicle, at the point where it is the *highest*. Is that an error in the diagram, or is this not really the ground clearance?
To my eye, the Specs page is showing the low point of the clearance (the battery) rather than the high point (rear). Note the gap between the top of the "I" and the rear end of the vehicle.

Does that pricing include TPMS sensors?

Do the sensors require special tools to synchronize with the car, as the Roadster does?

I asked about this today when my rep called and they do include the TPMS sensors. Also over the phone I was told 2300 for all seasons, rims, and TPMS.

I haven't check to see if it has been added but I also was told the price of an extra UMC with 14-50 will be $500

From my email with the rep
Set of 4, 19” wheels with Pirelli winter tires and tire pressure sensor= $2,400
Set of 4, 19” wheels with studded Nokian tires and tire pressure sensor=$2,800

Mobile Connector with 14-50 adapter= $500.

I've opened up the spreadsheet so anyone with the link can view it.
Here's the link:

Tesla Model S Facts and Unknowns

This is a great list, thanks!

Had a couple more questions:
Has anyone tested running the car while charging (Like for A/C here in Florida Summer)?

Does the DC outlet still work when the car is off? Just while key fob is in range?

Is the key fob water proof or at least water resistant?

I asked these at Santana Row and they did not have final production answers 6/21

Does anyone know if the S has any 120 volt AC outlets? My Sienna has two and we use them a lot to charge laptop,etc from while driving.
No, it does not. Many devices can be charged directly from the USB, which are high-power ports. I have a charger for laptops that plugs into a standard car 12v outlet. It's really a little silly to charge devices from an AC plug, which requires the car's native DC power to be converted to AC and then back to DC.

I wasn't just referring to charging stuff. One of the things I was looking forward to was actually running 120 volt stuff from my 85kw battery. For example I have a 20" stand fan I'd love to be able to run from the S at my grandsons baseball games. Would be neat (and unique) to have a nice breeze blowing thru the ezup tent from my S!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it does not. Many devices can be charged directly from the USB, which are high-power ports. I have a charger for laptops that plugs into a standard car 12v outlet. It's really a little silly to charge devices from an AC plug, which requires the car's native DC power to be converted to AC and then back to DC.

Do you know ifthese ports are active even when the car is unoccupied?

This is a great list, thanks!

Had a couple more questions:
Has anyone tested running the car while charging (Like for A/C here in Florida Summer)?

Does the DC outlet still work when the car is off? Just while key fob is in range?

Is the key fob water proof or at least water resistant?

I asked these at Santana Row and they did not have final production answers 6/21

Good Q's. I've added them into the FAQ list.

I suspect the answer to the DC outlet question is "yes." The key being in the car only affects driving functions. The car is always "on." I have seen the displays go to sleep if there is no one sitting in the driver's seat. Unless you tell the car to power off completely, I suspect that the DC outlet will be ready to go. Then again, it's all software controllable, I'm sure, so it could be anything. I'll let you know in December. :)

Update on the "When can we get the Sunset Red" question:

I was told at the Palo Alto event: mid 2013. Reason is that there are 10 paint setups in the factory--one for each color. Sunset red is the 11th color and will take the place of signature red once all sigs have been produced (incl. international).

Edit: must have misunderstood, as there are only 9 colors in production currently. So the correct statement is:

Sunset red is the 10th color, and will replace the signature red paint setup once all signature red orders, incl. international, have been built, likely mid to late 2013.

Last edited:
Update on the "When can we get the Sunset Red" question:

I was told at the Palo Alto event: mid 2013. Reason is that there are 10 paint setups in the factory--one for each color. Sunset red is the 11th color and will take the place of signature red once all sigs have been produced (incl. international).

That makes sense, unfortunately it means that "2013" probably means "late 2013." I don't expect international signature deliveries to be concluded until Mid 2013.

Does that mean the radio or whatever will not work when I leave the car, with someone sitting in the passenger seat?

Correct, and confirmed. When I did my testing in late July in VIN #50, I was sitting in the passenger seat. When the driver wasn't there, I had to put my hand down on the driver's seat to keep testing and music going. There's a timeout after the driver leaves the car, and when the door is closed after the driver leaves the timer is stopped. The displays turn off and the music stops. This might be configurable, but I don't recall seeing the option on the screens.

If playing music while outside the car is not currently possible, it will almost certainly come in a software update in the near future. It's just too common a situation to overlook:

-Playing music while working in the garage.
-Playing music while washing the car.
-Playing music at a barbecue in the park.
-Spouse sitting in the passenger seat wants to continue listening after the driver parks and goes inside to grab something from the store.

I tend to think it can already be done--we just haven't read the manual yet.