Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S fire at a Supercharger, not while charging. Seems fishy...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forbes article said:

"It also appears that the staff of the station made a vital error when they blindly believed the "vehicle error" message and apparently neglected to check the pole."

So what are you supposed to do when you see "vehicle error" message? Are you supposed to continue to attempt to supercharge repeatedly or do what they did: moved to a parking space to wait for inspection?

What "pole" are they supposed to check?

Forbes article said:

"It also appears that the staff of the station made a vital error when they blindly believed the "vehicle error" message and apparently neglected to check the pole."

So what are you supposed to do when you see "vehicle error" message? Are you supposed to continue to attempt to supercharge repeatedly or do what they did: moved to a parking space to wait for inspection?

What "pole" are they supposed to check?
Lost in translation I believe. The looks like a translation error.

Not sure what to take away from the article because of that. This all still seems really odd. Only thing I am assuming based on that text is that there may have been some subpar electrical work linked to the expansion of the site. But again, assumptions only. I know nothing.

Last edited:
...translation error...

I now realize "pole" here is a charging stall/bay/slot/spot/space.

It sounds like the source of the problem was too high voltage while charging.

Charging cars sensed unacceptable high voltage and displayed an error message and stopped charging.

I guess the right thing to do is to shut down the charging station and replace the "high voltage junction box" and not to blame on cars' error message because there were nothing wrong with the cars.

Them cars did their jobs and prevent further charging to protect themselves from over-voltage charging station.

May be the faulty charging station was not shutdown and repaired in time so there's this particular car that was affected by the high voltage, it got overheated and caught fire even when it was disconnected from the charging station but it was too late because the car couldn't protect itself in this case.