Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X fire on Harbour Bridge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No doubt this story will get the haters fired up (no pun intended) - 'Huge plumes' of smoke billowing as Tesla burns on Auckland Harbour Bridge

Judging by the burn marks in the picture the traction battery was not the cause - it is too far forward. Should be LFP battery so arguably much less flammable.

The question is then what else caused it?

Does the Model Y use a lithium 12v battery? The position of the fire might agree with this.

Was it an air con unit overheating? Was it some sort of road debris, or DIY mod to the car that went wrong? Maybe something dangerous stored in the frunk?

Both Stuff and Herald used the car maker name in their headlines. There have been multiple ICE car fire news articles in the last 6 months (see a few below) and no car brands mentioned in headlines. It is pretty silly having to mention Tesla in the headline, now that they are so common.

Reactions: Lozza12
Both Stuff and Herald used the car maker name in their headlines. There have been multiple ICE car fire news articles in the last 6 months (see a few below) and no car brands mentioned in headlines. It is pretty silly having to mention Tesla in the headline, now that they are so common.

Notice they didn't mention the 'make' of the vehicle. If it had been a Tesla, it would have been headlines.

Notice they didn't mention the 'make' of the vehicle. If it had been a Tesla, it would have been headlines.
I guess something to do with type and location of the fire?
Car yard and all other fire article shared are for stationary or wracking yard vehicles... when one with Tesla headline is moving vehicle on the bridge with passengers and others in/around it. changes the significance of knowing what vehicle, make, age, and driver behaviour caused it.... rest instances it might be just what caused fire...

we humans see only what we want to see.... some want to see facts, othes want to keep tesla name out of anything bad at any cost.... just a thought,

we humans see only what we want to see.... some want to see facts, othes want to keep tesla name out of anything bad at any cost.... just a thought,
Maybe but there are many Tesla haters out there and the media feeds on it. ICE vehicle fires are reported but rarely is the make of the vehicle mentioned. It it's a Tesla it's big news. Fact is, ICE cars are 11 times more likely to burn than electric so go figure.

• Informative
Reactions: Audietron
Maybe but there are many Tesla haters out there and the media feeds on it. ICE vehicle fires are reported but rarely is the make of the vehicle mentioned. It it's a Tesla it's big news. Fact is, ICE cars are 11 times more likely to burn than electric so go figure.
as Tesla owner, wouldn't you want to know if car similar to yours was on fire? and if there was any active risk in car or it was simply a driver issue?
I never understand, why it's so much a big deal that any criticism or anything negative is not acceptable for some companies like Tesla - when in public, vehicle, passenger, driver safety world - it's a good thing to be transparent and coming out as a leader...

Tesla always wanted to be unique and EV market leader,... well every leading company, similar to smaller companies, are called out when things go wrong with their product or their product endanger the life or people using their products endanger the life of others... fair and square... nothing wrong, unless products are super faulty and totally experimental and shouldn't on road, so they need to defend the name to teeth and keep everything not praises out of media at any cost?

There are Tesla fanboys, there are Tesla haters, there are people who report on Tesla goodies and issues.... but as a Tesla car Owner - I only care to know everything good and bad about Tesla cars as transparent as possible... so I can use the FSD and other features I paid for without worrying about burning in my car or crashing my car... realistic expectation.... should be with everyone who owns Tesla cars or drives beside Tesla cars... same applies for other companies.

Time to leave fanboys and haters behind and focus on Tesla cars :)

Fair enough but the question remains... if it's fair to highlight Tesla fires, why not name other ICE vehicle makers fires when they occur? I agree if there's a problem, we need to know, but it seems to be unfairly reported and presented. When I finally began to tell my friends we'd ordered a Tesla, I was astonished how many times I was told (sometimes in jest, sometimes not) your house will burn down and if that doesn't happen, that we will be incinerated in our car when the batteries explode.

Fair enough but the question remains... if it's fair to highlight Tesla fires, why not name other ICE vehicle makers fires when they occur? I agree if there's a problem, we need to know, but it seems to be unfairly reported and presented. When I finally began to tell my friends we'd ordered a Tesla, I was astonished how many times I was told (sometimes in jest, sometimes not) your house will burn down and if that doesn't happen, that we will be incinerated in our car when the batteries explode.
well ICE vehicles are around for century... so noone is scaremongering anymore as everyone thinks they know all about it (they don't... remember diesel engine saga?)... when EV vehicles are something not yet mainstream, so people are simply scared and do scaremongering....

We are still living in times, where we can't ship electronics same as other products to even australia, it's special cost and charges... batteries are not allowed in many areas of aircrafts when travelling... so idea of seating exactly on top of battery weighing 1 ton more/less and normally considered as a bomb (like on aircraft and shipping scenario) people are valid to be scared... problem is multiple standards and lack of information when it comes to batteries...

However, if I am buying a car and another Tesla user or BEV user dies in fire or tells me not to buy as it set their house on fire... I would almost think of take my money and RUN.... however before doing my own research, as you smartly did.

Reactions: Power Hungry