Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish this "fact" were true and I wasn't paying over 100k
"Pricing starts at $49,900 and tops out at $84,900 after a $7,500 tax rebate"

yep
that would be nice
not the 25K extra to make it 'mine'
and fully 'amped'

what did they put in the wheatgrass shot that I was fed at the test drive?
I think I ordered the Exact car I test drove

damn you money! Go away please:wink:

My (first in line) comment on the site:
Surprise: guess which came first, the Model S or Jaguar XF. So which is reminiscent of which, again?

Grammar: " Huibert Mees, who’s past credits...". The news: it's "whose".

"Release the brake and off you go." Nope. No creep. You must press the goose pedal.

"the Model S Performance. This version produces some extra grunt thanks to its tweaked motor." Nope. Tweaked (more robust) inverter.

"between the rear wheels. So yes, this is a mid-engined car." Nope. Wiki: "A mid-engine layout describes the placement of an automobile engine between the rear and front axles." Rear wheels are "back". It's a rear-motored car, actually. No engine.

Otherwise, good review!

As an FYI, the new reservations rate since commencement of production and deliveries in late June is at or above the 20K/annum rate, building on the 10,000+ existing reservation pool. (Figures net of adjustments, cancellations, model switching, etc.)

These were in boxes at the bottom of the article, one labeled "Take It" and the other "Leave It". The writer really had to stretch to find three "Leave It" items.

Interesting to note that the writer adored the clean interior.
Heh. Now I see it! I guess my internal "superfluous graphics" filter just tuned the pretty colors out as advert inserts or SLT.

Ya, he really had to reach. As far as the range comment goes, one TM exec once commented that it takes about 6 months for new owners to stop playing every time they sit in the car, and settle down to "normal" driving, at which point the range takes a jump! There's also going to be a certain portion of the pool who are compulsive quasi-'hypermilers', and will start giving us some feedback of what the actual upper range limits are in reasonably normal usage.

Wow. Really an excellent review until they started to pretend they were business analysts.

Extended quote that they ended the review with -

"Though it may seem expensive, the more-made-in-America-than-most-“American”-cars Model S can’t possibly turn a profit at its price, given all that is clean-sheet new and novel about it—at least, not until Tesla has closed out a few Decembers at or near its 20,000-per-year sales goal, which, given the cruel history of the auto industry, may be never.

Various investors, from Toyota to *Daimler (which supplies a Benz steering *column to the Model S) to Uncle Sam—with its $465 million in loans—to Tesla’s shareholders on Wall Street, have all bet money and material that Tesla won’t flame out like Solyndra. Without them, there would be no Model S. And unless the car succeeds, there may be no more investors."

At least they got the product right.

Extended quote that they ended the review with -

"Though it may seem expensive, the more-made-in-America-than-most-“American”-cars Model S can’t possibly turn a profit at its price, given all that is clean-sheet new and novel about it—at least, not until Tesla has closed out a few Decembers at or near its 20,000-per-year sales goal, which, given the cruel history of the auto industry, may be never.

Various investors, from Toyota to *Daimler (which supplies a Benz steering *column to the Model S) to Uncle Sam—with its $465 million in loans—to Tesla’s shareholders on Wall Street, have all bet money and material that Tesla won’t flame out like Solyndra. Without them, there would be no Model S. And unless the car succeeds, there may be no more investors."

At least they got the product right.

Oh well, I think they're wrong about the business case but until Tesla puts up a profitable quarter (or year) it's not insane to have concerns. And they did get the review of the car correct, which is a good thing with their status in the industry.