Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 2 days of owning a Model S, this isn't a "first drive review" anymore, but anyway:

jason ‏@Jason
Having driven the @teslamotors Roadster for 3+ years/15k miles, I can tell u Model S is 1000x better. Tesla has HUGE hit on its hands. Huge.

Nice find! Here are the summary test results:
0-60: 4.35 sec (4.3 on screen, 4.35 verbal) (Claimed: 4.4)
0-60 with 1-ft rollout: 4.0 sec
1/4-mile: 12.6 sec w/108.3 mph trap speed (Claimed: 12.6)
60-0: 108 ft
Slalom: 66.8 mph
Skidpad: 0.86 g

Color me impressed. That 4.0sec 0-60 w/rollout time has got to be among the fastest ever for a production sedan.

Track Tested: 2012 Tesla Model S — Edmunds.com Video

Didn't see this posted yet.

Eu-flippin-rika!

0-60 in 4.3 no rollout (which Edmunds will report)
0-60 in 4.0 w/rollout (Car and Driver will report this way. Probably even better because they like aggressive rollouts)
Quarter mile time - 12.6 seconds (likely no rollout, because this is Edmunds).

Just wow. I compared MSP to BMW M5 here -

Model S Performance vs BMW M5

The numbers reported by Edmunds are right in the wheelhouse of the M5, especially the manual t. Better than the 2012 or earlier M5, the same or a little slower than the 2013 model which has a true 0-60 time of between 4.1 and 4.3 seconds and 3.7-4.1 with various rollouts (these numbers are never cut and dried, as minute variables like temperature or size of driver have an effect).

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/original/application/9bccd94b2e804299000526ed5127b74b.pdf

Edmunds also reports a true 12.6 quarter while M5 has been reported as anywhere between 11.9 and 12.3, but those organizations use a rollout that would likely put MSP at or below 12.3 as well. Probably a hair or two slower on average, but at that level reaction time is important and it takes a lot less skill for an MSP driver to make her time than someone driving an M5.

Bottom line, anyone driving an MSP on any given day at a drag strip has a shot to take a BMW M5 straight up. Race in Denver on a hot day and I'd consider wagering pink slips. If he's tall, heavy and jittery looking I'd wager pink slips AND a case of beer.

Unfortunately, the g-pad and slalom was not as flattering to MSP. The numbers are good for a big sports sedan, but not up to the standard of the 2013 M5 or the CTS-V (which along with M5 are the performance kings in this class). Seems likely to me that the big reason is in the tires. I believe M5 uses Pilot Super Sports, while MSP is using a less sticky tire that offers less rolling resistance and more range. That plus being 300lbs heavier is defeating the much lower Cg and width of MSP. Can't be the best in everything I guess :)

On the other hand, braking performance for the MSP is simply outstanding. The near perfect 50/50 weight distribution dominates both M5 and CTS-V with a 60-0 distance of 108 just flat out spanks M5 and CTS-V which stop in 115 and 116.

On balance MSP has excellent speed, decent lateral acceleration and handling and outstanding (possibly class leading?) braking. I still predict much better rolling acceleration numbers for Model S compared to it's competitors, but I was wrong about it's handling (stupid tires :cursing:).

Bottom line (part deux), MSP is likely extremely competitive in any road race where speeds don't get over 110-120 mph, even against the best cars in it's class.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 0-60 with 1 ft of rollout is only 1/10 of a second slower than the CTS-V!

Color me impressed. That 4.0sec 0-60 w/rollout time has got to be among the fastest ever for a production sedan.

It's very, very fast (read my extended post) but not fastest ever. Faster than 2012 M5 but not quite as fast as 2013 with the DCX (on most days).

The 4.35 number was the first try. Edmunds normally would run it multiple times and likely got very close to 4.3 if they did so. We don't know how heavy the driver was, but most people could expect to run a true 4.3-4.5 IRL.

The "with rollout" number is highly subjective. 12" is "standard" but if you are aggressive with positioning it can easily be more than that. I've heard Car and Driver's actual rollout is closer to 16"-18", which would readily explain why they (and others who do this) consistently get better times than folks like Edmunds who almost always will only print the true number in their spec sheet.

The rollout also cuts the time on the 1/4 mile, and it is extremely likely that Edmunds only reported the true number. They are very biased against reporting rollout at all, so if they only reported one time it likely is the true time. A "normal" rollout will cut .3 from most times, while aggressive positioning can wring maybe a tenth or two more. So MSP can likely pull anywhere from 12.1 to 12.4 in actual racing conditions.

The best in class 2013 M5 DCT has been clocked (aggressively) at 11.9 seconds. Thats at ~300 feet and 74 degrees on a calm day. At a higher elevation (>2,000ft), hotter day (~95 degrees) or with a decent headwind (~10-15mph) I wouldn't bet against the MSP at all. Outside of extreme conditions, the BMW would likely still have an edge, but not big enough to guarantee a win.

Last edited:
The 0-60 with 1 ft of rollout is only 1/10 of a second slower than the CTS-V!

Actually, I think it's likely that under identical conditions (same driver, same rollout, same environment) the MSP is the same or faster than CTS-V.

Also seems likely to beat CTS-V in a drag race if the Edmunds number doesn't include a rollout (which I think likely).

Edit: Or not. Edmunds has data on the CTS-V for the quarter mile which is 12.4. 0-60 is 4.3. Thats apples to apples since it's the same reviewer. Road and Track got a 12.5 and they typically use a rollout which is what I based my guesstimates on.

Environment and driver has a big effect on those numbers though so I still think R&T can go slower than Edmunds despite using a rollout. Edmunds printed a long article about why they hate and don't use rollout so I assume they did not use it for the quarter mile time.

Edit2: I can't emphasize enough, with the fudge factor involved in these numbers, MSP is extremely competitive in both 0-60 and quarter mile times. At worst a hair slower than the best in it's class despite being larger, heavier, quieter, more practical and infinitely more efficient. Also cheaper in the case of M5 and likely less expensive in 5 year total cost of ownership than even the CTS-V.

Last edited:
Details have been posted

Track Tested: 2012 Tesla Model S — Edmunds.com Video

Didn't see this posted yet.

Its posted now 2012 Tesla Model S Track Test

Here are the details from the above link
Vehicle: 2012 Tesla Model S
Odometer: 2,185
Date: 8/14/2012
Driver: Mike Monticello
Price: $94,350 (base price)

Specifications:
Drive Type: Transverse, rear-motor, rear-wheel drive
Transmission Type: Single-speed direct drive
Engine Type: 310 kW, three-phase four-pole electric
Redline (rpm): 7,600
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 416 @ 5,000
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 443 @ 0
Brake Type (front): 13.2-inch ventilated steel rotors, four-piston fixed calipers
Brake Type (rear): 14.4-inch ventilated steel rotors, four-piston fixed calipers
Suspension Type(front): Independent double wishbones, pneumatic springs, stabilizer bar
Suspension Type (rear): Independent multilink, pneumatic springs, stabilizer bar
Tire Size (front): 245/35ZR21
Tire Size (rear): 265/35ZR21 (101Y)
Tire Brand: Michelin
Tire Model: Pilot Sport PS2
Tire Type: Asymmetrical summer performance
As Tested Curb Weight (lbs.): 4,770

Test Results:
Acceleration
0-30 (sec): 2.0 (2.0 w/ TC on)
0-45 (sec): 3.0 (3.0 w/ TC on)
0-60 (sec): 4.3 (4.3 w/ TC on)
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 4.0 (4.0 w/ TC on)
0-75 (sec): 6.1 (6.1 w/ TC on)
1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 12.6 @ 108.3 (12.6 @ 108.2 w/ TC on)
Braking
30-0 (ft): 27
60-0 (ft): 108
Handling
Slalom (mph): 66.8 (66.0 w/TC off)
Skid Pad Lateral Acceleration (g): 0.86 (0.86 w/TC on)
Db @ Idle: 35.4
Db @ Full Throttle: 64.2
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 61.2

Comments:
Acceleration: As you would expect with a ton of instant torque, it gets off the line in a hurry, with no wheelspin whatsoever. Just endless forward thrust. The first and second runs were the quickest, and after that it just got slower and slower despite having plenty of charge. By the sixth and final run it was 0.3 second slower.

Braking: Very firm pedal. Feels like a normal car without all the hybrid wonkiness. Just a little bit of extra travel at the very end of the stroke, but no fade and rock-solid stability. First stop was 110 feet. Second stop was shortest at 108 feet and third stop was longest at 112 feet. Very consistent.

Handling:
Skid pad: Definitely felt the weight here, and the lack of a free-revving internal combustion engine means changes in throttle have less effect on the chassis. Still, car felt pretty precise.
Slalom: The stability system cannot be fully defeated, but I was impressed with the intervention point. And it would even allow some decent slalom-exit-power-on oversteer before it would slam on the brakes. Preferred the midlevel standard mode over Sport, which seemed like it was fighting me more than helping. A very long and heavy car and was surprised it could go through at almost 67 mph. Seems like a very good suspension tuning compromise.