Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but:

How is the Model S 35.4 dB at idle? That should be 0 dB, no? Or maybe "Db" stands for something else?

My guess is the 35.4 dB is the background noise of the car's surroundings. Virtually impossible to get 0 dB unless the car was tested in an anechoic chamber.

P.S. Capital Oppressor had the same thought and posted this as well

Last edited:
My guess is the 35.4 dB is the background noise of the car's surroundings. Virtually impossible to get 0 dB unless the car was tested in an anechoic chamber.

P.S. Capital Oppressor had the same thought and posted this as well

Seems silly to post those numbers, as they don't have any absolute meaning. As a comparison, it assumes that background noise between the Panamara test and Model S test is the same volume...not sure how they control that.

The lack of other noise made the A/C quite audible during my Get Amped test drive in NJ. I expected the car to be silent and was surprised how noisy it was when it pulled up, as the compressor had just kicked in.

That is the cooling fans when the car stops or is going too slow for good airflow after it has been driven hard. they shut off pretty quick. Just when there is no air flow they turn on pretty hard after the car has been punished happily

Also noticed that the Model S is faster than the Pana
era in the 75-100mph region! (barely :wink:)
33.2 mph in 6.5 s Porsche
33.3 mph in 6.5 s Model S

sound levels between idle and full throttle are around the same

28.8 Db Model S
26.5 Db Porsche

except the Porsche is almost 13 Db louder at Idle and full throttle but the Model S at full throttle is about as loud as the Panamera at a 70 mph cruise speed. nice

Last edited:
Hmmm... I wonder why they compared it to the Panamera GTS which has a base price $20k higher than the Model S Performance, rather than the Panamera S which has the same base price.

I mean, if they're willing to stick with a $20k price difference, why not compare the Model S Performance to a base model Panamera ($74k)?

How is the Model S 35.4 dB at idle? That should be 0 dB, no? Or maybe "Db" stands for something else?

Those 35.4 dB are about the same background noise level as I measure in my living room on a quiet night with the AC and computer turned off and the kids safely in bed. I live in the countryside, a mile or so from the nearest highway. Not real noisy around here. :smile:

Roughly speaking, a change of 1 dB is just barely noticeable and a change of 10 dB is subjectively "twice as loud".

Saw the following comment left at a Seeking Alpha review today...
Vico Confino will turn 80 on March 11, 2013.
In 1978 I purchased a Toyota Carolla for $3,200 out the door. Since then I have owned a total of 19 Toyotas, trading up to the Camry when it first came out. Early last year I began researching electric autos like the Tesla. I ordered one for me and one for the wife (#2600 & #2601)
From what I had learned about Elon Musk and his vision of producing the finest EV, I followed his every move very closely. The naysayers were pounding away at how he would fail just like other visionaries.
I disagreed and bought Tesla stock. My vision was that by the time
my two sedans were ready for delivery my profits from the stock would cover at least the cost of one of the autos. Looks to me like
today's naysayers are the grandchildren of the naysayers who predicted that the auto would never replace the horse. If I am wrong gentlemen can I rent one of your horses.
Stay well, stay in shape, the car of the future is here.
Vico Confino

Geez, at 66 I now feel like a kid on this forum!
;-)

In addition to the aforementioned need for backup sensors and additional cameras to ease parking, we would like to see a power-operated rear liftgate option.

What gives?! This was working in all the test drive event cars thus far - they all had the tech package and the power rear liftgate.

Has Jason C skimped on the $3,750 option?! ;) He apparently "went click-happy on the options and purchased just about every accessory"...

With beautiful, beautiful pictures.

2012-tesla-model-s-fd.jpg

Nice :)

- - - Updated - - -

Added it to the Wiki.

- - - Updated - - -

The test drive was done September 4th according to the display on the car. Wonder why the delay on posting it? It's not like the video has the kind of production values that might require a week delay. Maybe the fact that the author kept repeating himself in the review explains why it took so long :)

Still, a nice review and I totally agree that Model S belongs in future museums.. and my driveway ASAP!