Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, thought I should just let people know that "Get Amped style" 10-15 min test drives are now being booked for Norwegian reservation holder. I'm driving on Monday next week. Not sure what car we'll be driving but I would assume it's one of the two cars that have been shown to the press here in Europe. From what I can understand they are basically US spec. cars with adaptions to make them legal to drive here. I will keep my eyes open for any subtle differences as opposed to what has been (extensively) reported about the US cars in the US. I would not expect to see 3-phase charging interface for example on the car I'm driving next week. Will be sure to post my impressions, maybe some photos too.

Here’s my ”First Drive Review” of the Model S. I know there are a lot of these already, but I thought this might be of some interest since test drives have just started over here in the EU.

Background: There was a showing of the Beta car at the show room in Oslo, Norway on April 12-14 this year. I was there, as were many others, to see and sit in the car. Some time passed and two Model S’s appeared in Germany a while back, there was a press launch and a whole lot of motor journalists from around Europe were able to test drive the cars. One of those two cars was then taken to Norway and was on display last week (Mon-Sat) at the Showroom. I decided not to go, as the e-mail announcing this also said “test drives coming soon”. At the end of last week an invitation did indeed go out for 15 min test drives, I had an opening to go today (Monday) and was lucky enough to get a spot.

I arrived on time together with my wife, our youngest (6 months old) and a good friend who was very happy join. My wife came to see the car in person, not expecting to sit along for the ride as Tesla had clearly stated no children under the age of 8 in the car during the ride. However, two lovely ladies (Tesla employees) at the showroom watched him and that worked out great (he was sleeping in the child seat in a quiet corner and was still asleep when we returned about 20 minutes later). The representative who rode with me in the passenger seat was a Brit from Manchester, very nice fellow who seemed to really like his job and was proud of the company. I was told I was the third person to drive the car that day, which was indeed the first day of test drives in Norway. He also told me that there had only been a few other “regular customers” who had driven the car in the EU, namely those who took part in an event in Belgium for Athlon car lease’s customers.

It was a typical November day in Oslo: not snowing, not raining but I believe the correct word is sleet. The temperature was just above freezing, by one degree or so. The car had 19 inch wheels with the Pirelli Sottozero studless tires. I can’t say they were that great for these particular road conditions, I actually think I would have had better grip and handling with sticky summer tires.

The car was a black Model S Performance with German plates. It had the tan interior. I didn’t really have much time to focus on the interior, but my take away was it was very appealing over-all, very clean lines, not at all busy, the screen was not distracting but just felt natural, the steering wheel was very thick and nice. In the very beginning my right hand and arm searched for something/anything in the middle of the car, but after a few minutes I had naturally accepted that there was nothing there and didn’t miss it any more. My passengers noted the sloping roof but they weren’t bothered by it. The said the back otherwise felt roomy.

The drive experience was just spectacular! I have driven an electric car (Mistubishi i-MiEV) for the last year so I in one way I was used to the instant throttle, the massive torque from the get-go and the regenerative braking. However, there is no comparison: This is a monster of a car – the way it just pulls, pulls and pulls smoothly must be experienced, especially in the driver’s seat. The route that was planned was really dull and boring. This has to do with the location of the store and that basically there are no good or fun roads in the area. In addition there was quite a lot of traffic most places. I never got it up to more than 120 km/h but that one good acceleration was enough to experience the power of the car. I didn’t floor it going out of turn on the on-ramp, but I did change lanes as I was accelerating heavily and I did loose traction for a brief moment. This scared my passengers but not me at all, it felt completely safe the way the Traction Control kicked in – it felt like the car just took over for a moment and steered me back on the path it knew I wanted to go. I guess this is the purpose of all TC but I’ve never experienced it feeling that natural. The regen was also impressive I think for a car with this mass – I was expecting less to be honest. (Video at 2:45)

Some details I noticed while driving:
- The back-up camera was all fogged up all the time. Not sure if this was because of the just above freezing temp and condensation, or if it was caused by snow/moisture coming from the road surface, but anyhow it made is useless. (Video at 4:40)
- The wiper fluid spray action was weak – it sprayed to about 10 cm up on the screen and didn’t seem to have pressure. Maybe it was low on fluid but I don’t think so since there should have been a warning. Perhaps the nozzles were not correctly angled. (Video at 3:30)
- The view out the back window is not very good, but I find it adequate and together with the side mirrors this will not be a problem.
- I wasn’t at all bothered by the position of stalk below the cruise control lever – maybe this comes from having owned a Mercedes E-class earlier in life.

Some things I asked the rep during the drive and answers that could be of interest:
- EU pricing will be out in about 3 weeks. (Video at 0:44)
- Before the end of the year the details of 3-phase charging will be out. The plug will (obviously be different) (Video at 0:48). After the drive the rep. also more or less confirmed that there will be still only one charge port but hence the plug and receptacle itself will be different in Europe as compared to the US (more pins). He said there should be no problem fitting it in the current charge port location.
- The rep. more or less confirmed that sometime in the future we can expect an AWD Model S. (Video at 1:55)
- The back-up camera and web browser will positively be disabled during driving in the EU for legal reasons. (Video at 4:35)

My friend filmed it all and I did a quick edit down to about 5min30sec if you are interested in seeing (not very exciting and you’re not really going to see the best of what Norway and Oslo has to offer). Also you will see me wearing glasses, which is very uncommon for me, but I wanted to have the best possible drive experience.

Interestingly enough when I went online this evening to post something about the test drive on a domestic forum my fellow Norwegian “Laumb” (he’s on TMC as well) had posted and he says the he got a call from Tesla this evening basically telling him that his scheduled test drive (the next day) had to be postponed as there had been “an incident” and that they were now “waiting for parts to be flown in the from USA”. If you do watch the video you will hear the rep telling me at the very beginning to please be careful not to spin the car – as he himself had already done it twice. Humor aside, I hope no one got hurt and that the car is soon back in drivable condition so that many more Norwegians can enjoy a test drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johan, when did you drove the car yesterday? I had an appointment today 1340, and had my airplainticket booked, payd in advance...then yesterday afternoon a woman from Tesla called me (in bad english) and told me that my test-drive had to be cancelled due an accident with the car yesterday!

That was not what i would like to hear. My whole week was planned around this happening, and i am not impressed over the way Tesla informs/handle this.
To mention, i`m a Roadster - owner, bought brand new this year.

All ower, the Scandinacian Tesla Team has a long way to go due customer-care.

i am not impressed over the way Tesla informs/handle this.

I can understand you are disappointed in the fact that you can't drive the car, but I fail to see how you can be disappointed about Tesla's way of handling this situation. Somebody crashed the car! What did you expect? They whip out a portable 3-d printer to make a new one for your test drive?

I have a sign in my shop which reads: "We will do the impossible immediately, miracles take a little longer."

Johan: Thanks! Awesome to see the Model S on those roads, I drive there every day and have been through almost every one of those bends hundreds of times. That really helps in judging how the car behaves. I bet that's the fastest acceleration by anything four-wheeled the RV163 on-ramp at Brobekk has ever seen :)

Last edited:
Johan, when did you drove the car yesterday? I had an appointment today 1340, and had my airplainticket booked, payd in advance...then yesterday afternoon a woman from Tesla called me (in bad english) and told me that my test-drive had to be cancelled due an accident with the car yesterday!

That was not what i would like to hear. My whole week was planned around this happening, and i am not impressed over the way Tesla informs/handle this.
To mention, i`m a Roadster - owner, bought brand new this year.

All ower, the Scandinacian Tesla Team has a long way to go due customer-care.

ffylling, maybe you should not complain about other peoples language skills........ and as was just said: if they called you yesterday, they did not wait many minutes to inform you of the bad news..... so I also fail to see what else they could have done?? It obviously is an unfortunate situation but none of their doing. Someone like you or me has crashed the only car in Norway and one of three or four in Europe........ bad luck, but hopefully they will be able to reschedule you ASAP. :)

ffylling, maybe you should not complain about other peoples language skills.......
If this were an english-speaking country, I would agree.

However, with this being a Norwegian-speaking country, and the showroom here being up and running for almost a year, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that they've hired enough Norwegian-speakers to call in Norwegian. Personally, I'm fine with both English and Norwegian, but there is a sizable chunk of the population whose english leaves much room for improvement. Especially those over 50, who haven't grown up with the internet and didn't have much english in school. The "over 50" demographic can often afford to spend money on luxuries, as the children have moved out, and the house is often paid down, so it's not exactly a good idea to alienate them.

However, with this being a Norwegian-speaking country, and the showroom here being up and running for almost a year, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that they've hired enough Norwegian-speakers to call in Norwegian. Personally, I'm fine with both English and Norwegian, but there is a sizable chunk of the population whose english leaves much room for improvement. Especially those over 50, who haven't grown up with the internet and didn't have much english in school. The "over 50" demographic can often afford to spend money on luxuries, as the children have moved out, and the house is often paid down, so it's not exactly a good idea to alienate them.

Point taken! :)

Me too, I can throw away my already paid for airplane ticket.
Had arranged a testdrive for Wednesday.
Too bad they don't have two cars available for test driving.
I'm still amazed over somebody being able to crash the care the FIRST day of testdriving and I had a slot for the third day. Espesially condidering when there's a window of almost a month you can testdrive.
Typical my luck. Now I'm not even sure if I can take another day off from work, but it's even harder to justify at home that I need buy new planetickets an to go away, again, to test this awsome car. It's for sure not going to be easier the closer to X-mas we get.
I might just have to drop the whole testdrive thing until summer. Who know's somebody's probably going to crash the next car used for testdrives as well???
Today is just a depressing day......

It seemed to me like the team doing the test drives were Tesla employees from England + Spain/Portugal(?) and that the Norwegian employees were not at all involved in the test drives. It was kind of just expected that you would speak english with them. No problem for me but could be a problem for others. And could actually be a safety issue. I hope this is not what happened - i.e. someone with poor english skills not understanding the severity of the warnings about not flooring the car in the bends and so on, thereby crashing it. However, anyone who drives has to take responsibility for their driving.

It was asked about the form/waiver that I had to sign before driving. I looked through it, but didn't take a copy. I clearly remember though that it said something like "In the event of an accident I will fill out the accident report form immidately at the scene of the accident" leading me to think/get the impression that the car was insured by Tesla for anyone with a valid license driving it (not intoxicated etc.). I didn't get the impression that I personally had to have insurance to cover me while driving.

I`m not that good in typing English, but that is either my professional. Tesla is the "professional" part in this case, and i expect them to have a professional attitude, communication and customer-service. If they want to be one of the "Premium-brands" in Europe and Norway, they have a huge task.

Due the last months experieces i have had, (to some of you this "isolated case" is not a big deal, but in commun they will create a picture of the challenges Tesla have to handle.) I am very curious HOW Tesla is going to solve the increasing customer-flow (salesdept. and service) the next year(s) in Norway. (off topic, but relevant)

I do work with customers every day, selling high-value objects. I also have been a "Marketing Manager" for a dealer selling the VAG products for a period of time, and know this aspect very well.

Of course it is not their fault that some one had bad luck yesterday, (or maybe the car got problems?) I hope I can have a new S test-drive soon, until i will drive my lovely Roadster, and waiting for my S Performance 85kw next year:)

I think Tesla handled this incident brilliantly! All Kudos to Tesla! We know the testdrives ended at 4pm. Some guy at the norwegian forum drove it and left at 3:40 or so. Which means there was one drive left.

I had an appointment the day after at 3:20, so I was probably one of the last to be called when I got the call at 6:35pm. So 2 1/2 hours from incident to report (including that the lady said she was on a flight to London when it happened - so she actually got travel time including In this delay. I don't know how far from the airport to her location, but including all, passport, luggage, travel, lest shave off another 1 1/2. Then its 1 hour to inform me.).

This is good communication, really good! Even if the message is bad - the work behind it is brilliant. I repeat my kudos!

I also appraise the use of english speaking personnell, as this is how the World is becoming. Globalization and outsourcing is here to come. In this event the globalization is to blame, but its a Good thing, just wait and see...

_____
Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

As i wrote, MY perception of this case, and many other "small cases" in a period of time, ex (a friend of mine made a reservation but did not pay the deposit. He, ask me got the invitation to look at the car, and also the "teaser" that an invitation to test-drive will come. He did not, and when he asked why, they said that he had to pay the deposit and bring a reciept before he could do the testdrive! There are a lot of small issues all the time that i get a feeling of "80% of good work an 20 % coincidenses".

BUT, this is off topic in this thread. I still want to buy their products, and it might be that I am a demanding customer:)

Back to origin. topic, more rewiews:)

Car and Driver has an extensive Road Test review of the Model S in their January '13 issue. I cannot find the article on their web site yet. It's titled "Elon Dreams of Electric Sheep", and is a balanced, but quite positive review. A co-worker who is a C&D follower (and pointed out the article to me) called it a "raving" review for C&D. Keep an eye out on the newsstands and website. The Model S didn't make the front cover but gets full-page treatment on the table of contents page.