Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received my HPWC on Friday, and Solar City completed the installation yesterday - agree with the 'Tesla grin' comment above.

A few points and questions:

- My Solar City experience was suberb
- Need to set the HPWC to 100 amps to deliver 80; and also need to close and re-open the port to auto-detect the amperage (i did not and only got 40, called roadside assistance to help out)
- The Solar City guy jury-rigged a cable organizer on the spot which worked well
- Need to have a lock on the breaker to pass inspection here in Mass, probably elsewhere - for anything above 60 amps - SC is managing that transparently
- Re-confirmed with Tesla that charging at 80 amps is perfectly ok with twin chargers - lots of debate on that in this forum, but i'm going to trust what the Tesla roadside assistance indicated
- SC will come back and install the cable organizer when delivered, and also plan the inspection at that time - they have been great about multiple trips and the temporary install without additional charges
- i seemed to be their first experience with the HPWC in Mass, and there was some learning experience as well as suggestions for Tesla, such as pre-punching the box rather than drilling - not being an expert, this did not seem to be a simple install

Last edited:
I have had my HPWC installed (for significantly less than people are quoting here... the advantages of labor rates in Kentucky I guess), but I still have not figured out how to get it to charge at 80 amps. It is on 100 amp breaker and the dip switches in the HPWC are set to 100 amp. The car shows it is connected to 80 amps on the charge, it still shows the charging rate at 40/40 amps and the range per hour is still what it should be for 40 not 80.

What did you mean by close and re-open the port? Just the charge port? I have done this a few times but it is still only charging at 40 amps even though it detects the charger is set to 80 amps. I do have the twin chargers on board.

I have had my HPWC installed (for significantly less than people are quoting here... the advantages of labor rates in Kentucky I guess), but I still have not figured out how to get it to charge at 80 amps. It is on 100 amp breaker and the dip switches in the HPWC are set to 100 amp. The car shows it is connected to 80 amps on the charge, it still shows the charging rate at 40/40 amps and the range per hour is still what it should be for 40 not 80.

What did you mean by close and re-open the port? Just the charge port? I have done this a few times but it is still only charging at 40 amps even though it detects the charger is set to 80 amps. I do have the twin chargers on board.

You might have to change the charge rate on the 17" screen. It 'remembers' your charge rate based on location and might have 40A in there if you were charging at that rate before.

I spoke to the Owner Experience folks yesterday (2/26). It seems that my car may be ready before my HPWC becomes available. He said that it might take them until late April to fully clear the backorder which was caused by delayed UL certification. He went on to say that I should install a NEMA 6-50 temporarily and replace it when the HPWC arrives. He said that if I keep the invoice for both electrician visits (install NEMA 6-50, then replace it with HPWC) that I could submit them to Tesla to receive a $200 refund. I will be getting quotes for both parts of the job from Solar City and a local electrician.

I spoke to the Owner Experience folks yesterday (2/26). It seems that my car may be ready before my HPWC becomes available. He said that it might take them until late April to fully clear the backorder which was caused by delayed UL certification. He went on to say that I should install a NEMA 6-50 temporarily and replace it when the HPWC arrives. He said that if I keep the invoice for both electrician visits (install NEMA 6-50, then replace it with HPWC) that I could submit them to Tesla to receive a $200 refund. I will be getting quotes for both parts of the job from Solar City and a local electrician.

That's new. Anyone else hear that? Seems a bit odd too since Tesla is charging everyone for the shipping for the delayed item.

Wall charger installed. Matt from Solar City was excellent. Now charging at 80 amps but might dial it down due to the buzz in the wires at 80.
Problem with the State inspectors not knowing what they are doing. Next inspection to be scheduled.

Just a note on Solar City...

In November, they installed a 14-50R.
In February, they installed conduit and the HPWC.
A week later the HPWC wigged out, my Solar City guy came by and discussed it at length with Tesla.
They're replacing the HPWC.

Thus I have at least one additional Solar City visit pending.
I haven't received any bill from Solar City yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Post attempt 2

Just a note on Solar City...

In November, they installed a 14-50R.
In February, they installed conduit and the HPWC.
A week later the HPWC wigged out, my Solar City guy came by and discussed it at length with Tesla.
They're replacing the HPWC.

Thus I have at least one additional Solar City visit pending.
I haven't received any bill from Solar City yet.

Like Brian, Solar City hasn't billed me yet. They installed a 6-50 and my understanding is that the quote I got includes them returning to put in the HPWC if/when it ever arrives--no extra charge. One time they got confused and started to bill me (I'd been incorrectly marked in their system as a completed install, it sounds like), but a quick e-mail fixed that.

Received my HPWC on Friday, electrician replaced my temporary 5-30 with the HPWC. Now charging at 20kW! Very nice.
IMG_2205.jpg
IMG_2207.jpg
IMG_2208.jpg
IMG_2209.jpg

Received HPWC on Saturday evening. Installed this morning by Solar City. I was told in on one of my several calls to ownership to inquire about delivery that HPWCs are now being delivered out of the local service centers rather than centrally. I'm not sure I believe that though, since the return address was definitely not local on the FedEx package that arrived (and it required a signature for those who inquired about that).

Groovy. If you don't mind two Qs, (1) what's your reservation # (I'm curious how high they've gotten with HPWC deliveries) and (2) is that cable holder on the wall theirs or yours?

I'm Sig vin 00912 and took delivery in early December. Based on what I read here it seems like they are delivering pretty much in vin/sequence order. The unit is nicely built and works great (so far)!

Cable holder is a JP4W-X20: Panduit J-Pro Cable Support System Wall Mount. Bought it on Amazon for $6.08 and my electrician was very impressed. When the Tesla mount arrives I plan to switch over because it appears the Tesla unit has a 'holster' for the car plug. And it looks cooler :)

Received HPWC on Saturday evening. Installed this morning by Solar City. I was told in on one of my several calls to ownership to inquire about delivery that HPWCs are now being delivered out of the local service centers rather than centrally. I'm not sure I believe that though, since the return address was definitely not local on the FedEx package that arrived (and it required a signature for those who inquired about that).

And if so, I'd like my $30 shipping charge back.

I'm Sig vin 00912 and took delivery in early December. Based on what I read here it seems like they are delivering pretty much in vin/sequence order. The unit is nicely built and works great (so far)!

Cable holder is a JP4W-X20: Panduit J-Pro Cable Support System Wall Mount. Bought it on Amazon for $6.08 and my electrician was very impressed. When the Tesla mount arrives I plan to switch over because it appears the Tesla unit has a 'holster' for the car plug. And it looks cooler :)

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I thought they were going in order order (er, order of when people ordered the HPWC), or something related like VIN or sequence. I was just hoping that they'd gotten beyond Sigs! ;-)