Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lets get REAL! The truth us you are comparing econobox cars with a high end luxury sport touring car. Your comparing a grape with a watermelon.

Tires also are NOT expensive unless you insist on the 21". Service is service. Compared to oil changes etc. for a similar vehicle.

What out of warrantee expenses are you referring to? If you are afraid, pay for the extended warrantee. Problem solved.
FYI, my Tesla's insurance is around $200 cheaper than my previous 2012 VW Tiguan.

No, I'm comparing a car that IS cheap to drive and maintain, to one that CLAIMS to be cheap to drive and maintain.

So far though I haven't seen an Albertan post an insurance quote, so it's all speculation, but it looks like driving a model S will be a very expensive proposition, and that doesn't even count the purchase price. This makes Tesla's touted "savings" over ICE vehicles more than just sleazy, but downright insulting.

In all fairness, the insurance component for the car itself (collision, comprehensive etc - damage to the car) and not the liability piece (damage done to others and/or their cars) pretty much has to have some relationship to the value of the car. You'd expect collision coverage for a Veyron to be more than for an old Chevette, so the Tesla has to fit in there somewhere too...

All things considered, I don't think the dollars quoted here for a $100,000+ car are too far out of line.

Depends on your location

Unfortunately, auto insurance is much more expensive in Ontario than in any other province...blame it on the government & the lawyers...we have had a "Cadillac" plan ever since the provincial government first started to interfere with the actuaries... Petersen (in 1987) turned auto insurance into the political football that it is today...

It is highly dependent on your postal code. I live near the 401 and 404 and pay $230/m on insurance for full coverage. If i lived in Oshawa I would only be paying $120/m or $150/m in Newmarket.

No, I'm comparing a car that IS cheap to drive and maintain, to one that CLAIMS to be cheap to drive and maintain.

So far though I haven't seen an Albertan post an insurance quote, so it's all speculation, but it looks like driving a model S will be a very expensive proposition, and that doesn't even count the purchase price. This makes Tesla's touted "savings" over ICE vehicles more than just sleazy, but downright insulting.

I think when Tesla touts savings over ICE, they're comparing them to similar luxury ICE cars, Infiniti's, Lexi', BMW's, Merc's, etc. If you visit teslacost.com, the creator has put together a very interesting website with a spreadsheet to factor in cost of ownership over 8 years. I personally think that he is giving too much credit on residuals values across the board for the cars he compared, and that he is understating future maintenance costs for ICE cars (ie. any 5 series V8 after the 4yr warranty and prepaid service is over is going to be pricey!!!), not to mention most premium sports sedans require premium fuel. Add on to that that fuel prices aren't going to stay this low forever and well if you drive any average or longer distance per year and it's not hard to make a semi-plausible business case.

However, comparing the car to anything sub <$50-60k to start, no you won't see savings.

Paul, any thoughts on how to get ICBC to recognize that my Dec 2013 car is not a "2013" car? They say I'm already on year 3 of replacement value (and it was a Jan 2014 purchase new, should be a "2014" car). This is also a warning for others, since the car insurance industry is obviously built up around model years.
I would ask to speak to the Supervisor or Manager on duty. If they can't help you, as to speak to their boss.

Just renewed my minimum insurance with ICBC. renewal was $1,109 (up by $166). So here are the numbers again:

$ 2,481 for 2014: Minimum ICBC coverage: $ 943 + full at CDI $1,538 ($3m liability top up,VIP pkg + replacement, deductibles: $1k collision, $500 other)
$ 2,425 for 2015: Minimum ICBC coverage: $1,109 (up by $166) + CDI $ 1,316 (same coverage down by $221). Note: ICBC quoted ~ 1,100 more for full exact same coverage that CDI provides (that's almost double on the optional!)

overall down by $56 over last year.

Happy Birthday 60GRAYEV!

BEWARE OF TD MELOCH...

VERY POOR MISLEADING SERVICE...

My car pick up is one week away, every single time we call TD we get different quotes and different coverages. We had a quote we were ok with with $1,000 deductible. They told us the could not finalize until the delivery date was set. Now that the date is set they say the quote must be approved by underwriter. Now the underwriter quoted us back to $5,000 deductible because of the value of the vehicle and they say its mandatory. Previously they said no one else in my family could drive the car other than myself. Next time we called they said it was not a problem anyone could drive it. We were with TD years ago & switched because of this very lack of professionalism.

THIS IS THE MOST SLIMY UNPROFESSIONAL COMPANY I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED.....STAFFED WITH CONFUSED EMPLOYEES......DONT BELIEVE A WORD THEY SAY....I PREFER NOT TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE WITH THIS LEVEL OF INCOMPETENCE IF I DO NOT HAVE TO.

Back to the insurance search...

Last edited:
BEWARE OF TD MELOCH...

My car pick up is one week away, every single time we call TD we get different quotes and different coverages. We had a quote we were ok with with $1,000 deductible. They told us the could not finalize until the delivery date was set. Now that the date is set they say the quote must be approved by underwriter. Now the underwriter quoted us back to $5,000 deductible because of the value of the vehicle and they say its mandatory. We were with TD years ago & switched because of this very lack of professionalism.

THIS IS THE MOST SLIMY UNPROFESSIONAL COMPANY I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED......DONT BELIEVE A WORD THEY SAY....

That's what I've been saying on another related thread (in Canada subforum).

I did my insurance with ICBC and CDI. Total, after deducting the new plate fees etc., was about $1400 for a year. To work (within 15 km), $200 comprehensive, $500 collision, $5 million liability. Oh, and new car replacement included also.

It wasn't without drama however. I called in advance to get a quote set up and was given a price, quote number etc. The day before delivery, I called again to confirm a detail and was told that anything with a value exceeding $70k had to be reviewed. D'oh! Why hadn't that been done already?! They needed ICBC to send me insurance and driving history reports, which I got in a matter of minutes (completely clear for the 20 years they went back, so pretty simple??). I forwarded to CDI with a request to expedite as I was scheduled to take delivery the next day.

I got to the Service Center and then proceeded to spend the next hour on the phone with CDI. They hadn't seen the emails with the letters. I sent them again. They had to go to a different floor to find them... hold please... back again, more questions... off to a senior underwriter...

I finally got my insurance (at the originally quoted price actually!), but it wasn't easy. I was happy with the price, but not impressed with CDI in general.

My advice - make sure the policy is completely good to go and there are no other hoops to jump through, before you sit down to sign the papers!

I'm not sure I would use the term' slimy", and I think a good deal of what you are describing as "unprofessional conduct" is related to the fact that the Model S (and the Roadster) are still largely misunderstood by the insurance industry (in Ontario).

TD purchased the Meloche Monnex book of business a few years ago...although I did not have access to their programs , by all accounts, they were a well run operation.

TD, as I'm sure that you're aware, is a direct writer of insurance...when you make a sales call to them, you are speaking with a call center...hence, the frustration that occurs with "having to speak with a different person every time you call", is an "inherent vice" of dealing with a direct writer's call center...most likely, you are receiving quotes of different amounts from said different staffers as both the insurance company and said staffers have little to no experience dealing with a Tesla vehicle.

To be fair, I think there is absolutely zero maliciousness happening with TD...they are just trying to deal with conflicting rules and information from management and individuals at TD's call center are interpreting these rules differently...obviously, some are making mistakes in their quotes.

As we have seen in other threads, even Ontario's MOT is still to this day, messing up information / misunderstanding exactly what the Model S is.

BEWARE OF TD MELOCH...

My car pick up is one week away, every single time we call TD we get different quotes and different coverages. We had a quote we were ok with with $1,000 deductible. They told us the could not finalize until the delivery date was set. Now that the date is set they say the quote must be approved by underwriter. Now the underwriter quoted us back to $5,000 deductible because of the value of the vehicle and they say its mandatory. Previously they said no one else in my family could drive the car other than myself. Next time we called they said it was not a problem anyone could drive it. We were with TD years ago & switched because of this very lack of professionalism.

THIS IS THE MOST SLIMY UNPROFESSIONAL COMPANY I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED.....STAFFED WITH CONFUSED EMPLOYEES......DONT BELIEVE A WORD THEY SAY....I PREFER NOT TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE WITH THIS LEVEL OF INCOMPETENCE IF I DO NOT HAVE TO.

Anyone have insurance recommends for the GTA??? This is becoming a huge waste of our valuable time. So frustrating. Someone recommended Jason Legge Agency....they quoted $4500+ said because I was in GTA.

FWIW, I received very good service and a very competitive quote from RBC Insurance. In fact, with identical coverage, my Model S came in a bit less than my previous Cadillac CTS.