Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LATEST QUOTE....

$1830 FOR $2M LIABILITY, $500 DEDUCTIBLE FOR COMPREHENSIVE, COLLISION, ALL PERILS, , 2 YEARS FULL REPLACEMENT, CAR RENTAL COVERAGE, $500 DEDUCTIBLE FOR WINDSHIELD REPLACEMENT, GRAND TOURING SOLUTION.

1 DAYS NOTICE TO ACTIVATE POLICY...

What do you all think??

What's the reason that some of you folks want low deductibles?

My own theory is that you only buy insurance for losses that you cannot afford without really feeling the loss. For losses that you can afford you are better off not buying insurance since the cost of insurance will be higher than the expected loss since there are frictional costs added to the insurance premium, including a profit margin for the insurer, the costs of the insurer and the brokers commission (hence I never buy the extended warranty for a $70 inkjet printer at Futureshop). And I am assuming that if you can afford a $100k car then you can afford to eat the deductible amount of something happens. Of course it is a different story if the premiums are similar if you raise the deductible but that hasn't been my experience. Given the current extremely low interest rates this would be even more the case since firms are not going to price at an underwriting loss since they can't earn much of a return on your premium with sub 1% money market rates.

I asked RBC for the difference in price between three different deductible levels and it wasn't significant so I went with a lower one.

LATEST QUOTE....

$1830 FOR $2M LIABILITY, $500 DEDUCTIBLE FOR COMPREHENSIVE, COLLISION, ALL PERILS, , 2 YEARS FULL REPLACEMENT, CAR RENTAL COVERAGE, $500 DEDUCTIBLE FOR WINDSHIELD REPLACEMENT, GRAND TOURING SOLUTION.

1 DAYS NOTICE TO ACTIVATE POLICY...

What do you all think??

That sounds almost exactly like mine not just in price but also in perks / coverage / deductible.

I haven't gone into the details yet, buy my insurance agent in BC is suggesting going with Canadian Direct Insurance for my supplementary coverage beyond the basic required by ICBC. Her mother drives a Tesla and evidently this was the best they could do in this province. Not sure if that's entirely relevant to the thread, but I'll offer it anyway.

Is it true that TD Meloche Monnex ONLY offers insurance for University graduate professionals? Thats what Im being told.
Meloche is group (affinity) insurance only, the groups they service are not limited to alumni groups although they probably make up a large number. I know Meloche will also sell to Professional Engineers of Ontario, Certified Public Accountants, Project Management Professionals, I'm sure the list goes on.

BC Example for those budgeting/comparing:

$ 2,481 for 2014: Minimum ICBC coverage: $ 943 + full at CDI $1,538 ($3m liability top up,VIP pkg + replacement, deductibles: $1k collision, $500 other)
$ 2,259 for 2015: Minimum ICBC coverage: TBD (assuming similar) + CDI $ 1,316 (same coverage down by $221)

I haven't gone into the details yet, buy my insurance agent in BC is suggesting going with Canadian Direct Insurance for my supplementary coverage beyond the basic required by ICBC. Her mother drives a Tesla and evidently this was the best they could do in this province. Not sure if that's entirely relevant to the thread, but I'll offer it anyway.
Hey Brock, As you know yesterday I picked up my MS, my old car was insured by CDI so I switched the compulsory basic from ICBC to my MS, then I called CDI to switch the optional and after a 25 minute wait on the phone [ 2 TIMES ! ], a 5 minute question and answer period, I was told that they couldn't do it at the moment and I would have to wait for them to get back to me because the cost of the car is so high ...WTF?
So I told them that was unacceptable and she said "well get it with ICBC then we can switch it when you get home" Really? To say I was pissed off is an understatement.

So I told them to cancel the insurance on my old car and send me a refund then I had to wait for the ICBC girl to come back and do the optional. Through it all the staff at Tesla Vancouver were awesome, they knew how upset I was and tried their best to calm me down [ gave me couple of very nice ball caps and some other goodies :biggrin:]
So although I have 2 houses insured with CDI and they usually give good service IF + WHEN you can reach them they have a serious customer service issue when it comes to how long it takes them to answer the phone [ I actually told them this about a month ago and they "said" they are hiring more telephone personal - hmmm guess they were all out for lunch! ]... and when pressed for time extremely frustrating:cursing:... MUCH easier if a little more money to get it ALL done through ICBC...My 2 bits worth ... BUT car is Incredible :smile:

Hey Brock, As you know yesterday I picked up my MS, my old car was insured by CDI so I switched the compulsory basic from ICBC to my MS, then I called CDI to switch the optional and after a 25 minute wait on the phone [ 2 TIMES ! ], a 5 minute question and answer period, I was told that they couldn't do it at the moment and I would have to wait for them to get back to me because the cost of the car is so high ...WTF?
So I told them that was unacceptable and she said "well get it with ICBC then we can switch it when you get home" Really? To say I was pissed off is an understatement.

So I told them to cancel the insurance on my old car and send me a refund then I had to wait for the ICBC girl to come back and do the optional. Through it all the staff at Tesla Vancouver were awesome, they knew how upset I was and tried their best to calm me down [ gave me couple of very nice ball caps and some other goodies :biggrin:]
So although I have 2 houses insured with CDI and they usually give good service IF + WHEN you can reach them they have a serious customer service issue when it comes to how long it takes them to answer the phone [ I actually told them this about a month ago and they "said" they are hiring more telephone personal - hmmm guess they were all out for lunch! ]... and when pressed for time extremely frustrating:cursing:... MUCH easier if a little more money to get it ALL done through ICBC...My 2 bits worth ... BUT car is Incredible :smile:
Jeez Don, that doesn't sound very good at all! I have been using Family for my optional insurance so have had no direct experience with CDI (although I think they insured my house for a while). I will do some work in advance to ensure I don't get stuck in a similar situation as you did.

I'm willing to bet you haven't spent much time at home since taking delivery... ;-)

BC Example for those budgeting/comparing:

$ 2,481 for 2014: Minimum ICBC coverage: $ 943 + full at CDI $1,538 ($3m liability top up,VIP pkg + replacement, deductibles: $1k collision, $500 other)
$ 2,259 for 2015: Minimum ICBC coverage: TBD (assuming similar) + CDI $ 1,316 (same coverage down by $221)

I'm quoting Victoria-based rates since ICBC changes them depending on your postal code (in 2011 I moved a kilometre away and the rates on my previous shall-not-mention-the-propulsion-method car went up by a couple of hundred $.

Paul, any thoughts on how to get ICBC to recognize that my Dec 2013 car is not a "2013" car? They say I'm already on year 3 of replacement value (and it was a Jan 2014 purchase new, should be a "2014" car). This is also a warning for others, since the car insurance industry is obviously built up around model years.

2014: Basic coverage $901; $3M 3rd party $224; $300 deductible Collision $1,664; $300 deductible Comprehensive $449; Replacement cost collision $581 (this is based on "Year 2", which I didn't notice until my 2015 renewal... too excited actually getting the S I guess); Replacement cost comprehensive $133 (Year 2); Roadstar package ("VIP") $40 =====> total $3,992 (I have the top claim-rated discount of 43% so my actual total was $2,227).

2015: Basic coverage $951; $3M 3rd party $233; $300 deductible Collision $1,211; $300 deductible Comprehensive $441; Replacement cost collision $420 (Year 3); Replacement cost comprehensive $144 (Year 3); Roadstar package ("VIP") $40 =====> total $3,440 (my actual total was $1,919).

I checked into only getting the minimum ICBC and optional private, but it was actually a little more expensive and didn't get me any additional benefits since I'm eligible for ICBC's VIP package.

Why how much higher is your insurance quote?
I don't have a model S and have not gotten quotes, but we currently have full coverage on a smaller car at $650/yr, so understandably the numbers quoted so far in this thread are downright terrifying.

So far I've resigned myself to the fact that a Model S will cost more to purchase (by a large margin) than anything I've ever bought before, and I've resigned myself to the fact that insurance will be more than anything else I've ever owned (now looking to be by a huge margin), I've also resigned myself to the fact that maintenance will be at least as high, possibly higher, than previous cars (the annual service is expensive, the tires cost a fortune, and if I ever let the model S get out of warranty... heaven help me!) That leaves only fuel, and the savings there aren't looking so great either, with savings in the range of less than $1000/yr this won't cover the other cost increases.

Basically the selling feature becomes that it's a really nice car, but with zero cost mitigation on the expensive price tag as it will likely be the most expensive car I've ever owned to keep running, and not just the most expensive car to buy.

I don't have a model S and have not gotten quotes, but we currently have full coverage on a smaller car at $650/yr, so understandably the numbers quoted so far in this thread are downright terrifying.

So far I've resigned myself to the fact that a Model S will cost more to purchase (by a large margin) than anything I've ever bought before, and I've resigned myself to the fact that insurance will be more than anything else I've ever owned (now looking to be by a huge margin), I've also resigned myself to the fact that maintenance will be at least as high, possibly higher, than previous cars (the annual service is expensive, the tires cost a fortune, and if I ever let the model S get out of warranty... heaven help me!) That leaves only fuel, and the savings there aren't looking so great either, with savings in the range of less than $1000/yr this won't cover the other cost increases.

Basically the selling feature becomes that it's a really nice car, but with zero cost mitigation on the expensive price tag as it will likely be the most expensive car I've ever owned to keep running, and not just the most expensive car to buy.

How little do you drive a year that you think the annual savings will only be $1000? I drive alot so that makes the savings larger than average, but I had calculated the average to be about $3000/yr based on 4 $75 fillups a month replaced with about $50 in charging per month.

As for insurance, I have a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 with full coverage now that costs about $1300/yr, the Model S P85D with full coverage will drop to about $1150/year.

How little do you drive a year that you think the annual savings will only be $1000? I drive alot so that makes the savings larger than average, but I had calculated the average to be about $3000/yr based on 4 $75 fillups a month replaced with about $50 in charging per month.

As for insurance, I have a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 with full coverage now that costs about $1300/yr, the Model S P85D with full coverage will drop to about $1150/year.
The comparison I gave was for a 2007 VW Rabbit, sure, it's not in the same class of car but it's the only car we have right now with full insurance coverage, the vehicle being replaced is a Mitsubishi Delica that costs even less to insure, ($450/yr) but it only has liability and nothing else, so I'll admit that's not fair to compare.
Electricity cost where I live is $0.15/kWh (They claim it's only $0.08, but when you include all the variable costs the incremental rate of each kWh is $0.15), gasoline is $0.95/L, I don't commute so the car is only used evenings and weekends.
(cost of fuel calculation, based on 15000km/yr, 10L/100km (my delica, the rabbit would be more efficient and skew this worse towards ICE!) and $1.00 diesel and $0.15 electricity, assuming 260wh/km (which may be optimistic honestly) and 10% efficiency losses in charging gives $1500 for diesel vs $643 for electricity. Savings of $857/yr in fuel, if insurance is $1500/yr (around the middle of what's quoted so far here) I lose all of my fuel benefit to increased insurance cost, and we still have to deal with the increased maintenance costs)

Last edited:
The comparison I gave was for a 2007 VW Rabbit, sure, it's not in the same class of car, but it's fun to drive, and it's the way I have to budget.
Electricity cost where I live is $0.15/kWh (They claim it's only $0.08, but when you include all the variable costs the incremental rate of each kWh is $0.15), gasoline is $0.95/L, I don't commute so the car is only used evenings and weekends.

No doubt that on a cost basis, the Model S, a casual evening and weekend car will be a tough sell from a financial perspective.

From this thread it's obvious that there is a wide variety of factors (location not withstanding) that impact insurance quotes, and a wide range of quotes people have received, so it would behoove you to get your own quote.

No doubt that on a cost basis, the Model S, a casual evening and weekend car will be a tough sell from a financial perspective.

From this thread it's obvious that there is a wide variety of factors (location not withstanding) that impact insurance quotes, and a wide range of quotes people have received, so it would behoove you to get your own quote.
I will before buying, but I was curious if anyone in Alberta was willing to share theirs to help give a better ballpark.

As for financial perspective, the Tesla has never been about making financial sense, I could fuel a LOT of km on diesel or gasoline for the purchase price of a Tesla over what I'd normally buy. I'm ok with that because it's an amazing car. The painful part though is that one of the big selling points of the Tesla is supposed to be the low operating costs, but that's also proving false on insurance, routine service, and not as true as hoped on fuel. And the out of warranty indications so far are beyond scary.

I will before buying, but I was curious if anyone in Alberta was willing to share theirs to help give a better ballpark.

As for financial perspective, the Tesla has never been about making financial sense, I could fuel a LOT of km on diesel or gasoline for the purchase price of a Tesla over what I'd normally buy. I'm ok with that because it's an amazing car. The painful part though is that one of the big selling points of the Tesla is supposed to be the low operating costs, but that's also proving false on insurance, routine service, and not as true as hoped on fuel. And the out of warranty indications so far are beyond scary.

lets get REAL! The truth us you are comparing econobox cars with a high end luxury sport touring car. Your comparing a grape with a watermelon.

Tires also are NOT expensive unless you insist on the 21". Service is service. Compared to oil changes etc. for a similar vehicle.

What out of warrantee expenses are you referring to? If you are afraid, pay for the extended warrantee. Problem solved.