Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S insurance renewal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
I started a new thread rather than impinge on all the excited 3 prospective owners.
My cover last year with DL was £409 including legal and voluntary x/s of 350.
This year's quote is £425 which i was happy enough with but just played the meercat game and LV offers £276.
I live out in the sticks 10yr NCD on this insurance (I have another car with 30+ ). I'm knocking on door of 70yrs and car will be parked in the farm courtyard. Estimate mileage at 15K/annum
The real question before i ring them up is whether they will accept my statements re immobiliser (PIN) and tracker (GPS)? Anyone been through that?

Reactions: gangzoom
Phone up DL, ask for retentions, and tell them what LV quoted. Let them decide if car has immobiliser or tracker - Tesla have stated that it does not and I am sure that will be the insurers POV too. If a feature is standard on the car, its normally rolled into the overall risk.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/frequently-asked-delivery-questions#tracker said:
Does my Tesla have a tracker?
There is no tracker installed in your vehicle; however, you can track your Tesla via the mobile app, which uses a GPS tracking system to locate the vehicle.
The security package includes:

• Intrusion sensor: Detects movement inside the passenger compartment or an intruder reaching in through a front window and will sound the alarm.
  • Tilt sensor: Detects if the vehicle is being lifted onto a tow truck and sounds the alarm.
  • Battery Backed Sounder: Additional alarm sounder with its own power supply so it will continue to function even if the vehicle 12V power is cut off.

I started a new thread rather than impinge on all the excited 3 prospective owners.
My cover last year with DL was £409 including legal and voluntary x/s of 350.
This year's quote is £425 which i was happy enough with but just played the meercat game and LV offers £276.
I live out in the sticks 10yr NCD on this insurance (I have another car with 30+ ). I'm knocking on door of 70yrs and car will be parked in the farm courtyard. Estimate mileage at 15K/annum
The real question before i ring them up is whether they will accept my statements re immobiliser (PIN) and tracker (GPS)? Anyone been through that?

An immobiliser in the traditional sense on an ice car is to stop people using two wires and getting the car to start or forcing the key. In this sense a Tesla is immobilised if someone tried to start the car using wires or forcing the key.

Technically the car is immobilised without the key as there isn’t an ignition switch to force.

Can’t see anything of it making a difference though as the insurance company should be taking the cars standard features into consideration and will know nobody can start a Tesla with a screw driver

Just rung LV and confirmed their happy with the tesla tracking ap and pin to drive.They did disagree with my on-line quote of £276 though... and asked if I'd be OK with £268...:cool: (though i did add £30 for legal cover)
Interesting that they give free recovery with no loss x/s or ncd if you run out of charge....although if that happens around where I live it'd be many hours on the roadside....