Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just set up insurance at only $589 for 6 months with State Farm in Dallas, TX (for a P85 Model S). This is for $250K/$500K/$100K liability coverage, $100K/$300K/$50K on uninsured motorist, emergency road service, rental reimbursement, and with a $500 deductible. 34Y/male, clean record, with homeowner's, disability, and umbrella coverage also with State Farm...so nice discounts for multiple policies.

I got quotes from Progressive and Gieco around the $1100 mark for 6 months (S85, and my wife's Q5 - clean records, aside from on no-fault impact from rear). eSurance, my current insurer, doesn't cover Tesla's, even though their parent company does. Then one of the guys at work mentioned his broker that saved him a bunch of money, so I tried them, and sure enough, I'm down to $1100 per year for the cars, and my homeowners came down by about 30% as well. I shop this stuff around every 6 months, so I'm fairly happy. If you're in TX and would like contact details, PM me...no affiliation, aside from being a happy customer.

Got my VIN yesterday for March delivery. Called Amica, and they quoted about 2400/yr for the car and said underwriting needs to approve it because of its cost and the fact that it is exotic. I told them that Geico quoted me 861.42 for 6 months, about 700/yr less. This is for 3 drivers, one of which is 17 years old with a license for only 6 months. I have been with Amica since 1985, but will be switching once the Tesla arrives.

I just got off the phone with USAA. They quoted 462/yr. 13 dollars a month more than the Prius. Please note that I've been with them for 35 years and not had a claim (knock on wood) and I DO NOT have a VIN. Once I give them the Vin I'm assuming their system will recognize the P85 and raise the rate somewhat but probably not over 500 a year.

Edit: 1000 deductible.

My quote from MetLife was 1100/6mo, still trying to get them to lower it but will likely be moving companies after 15yrs and no auto claims. They also mention the vin doesn't validate so it's mostly off the value of the car.. They know it's a sedan but seems more like what I might expect for a roadster..
:(
Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

My quote from MetLife was 1100/6mo, still trying to get them to lower it but will likely be moving companies after 15yrs and no auto claims. They also mention the vin doesn't validate so it's mostly off the value of the car.. They know it's a sedan but seems more like what I might expect for a roadster..
:(
Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Metlife was all set to sell me a policy for the Model S based on valuation, but when it went to the underwriter they said "Nope, sorry - We can't insure it. It's an electric car." They suggested Geico or Progressive, both of which have the Model S in their systems so quotes online. I went with Progressive as they were cheaper for me + wife for our 2 cars.

$900/yr with USAA. $500 ded. 3 cars, homeowners and umbrella with them.

I wonder why my quote with USAA was so much lower? A little more than half. This was a pre Vin quote. Will the rate double when their system figures out its not just a Model S but a Performance model? They didn't give any choices for the pack size or the P model. It was just a quote too. Not a binder. I have to call back when I get the vin. Could it actually double? Doesn't seem likely that their computer was wrong. I even questioned the girl and told her it sounds too low.

It sucks to be in the Toronto area:

$2758 + tax / year ($300 ded) and that's with 2 cars, home, rental property and perfect driving record (no claims/accidents). By way of comparison, the Cadillac CTS I'm trading costs me $2,139. Believe me, I've shopped this around and it's the best I can do.

I just set up insurance at only $589 for 6 months with State Farm in Dallas, TX (for a P85 Model S). This is for $250K/$500K/$100K liability coverage, $100K/$300K/$50K on uninsured motorist, emergency road service, rental reimbursement, and with a $500 deductible. 34Y/male, clean record, with homeowner's, disability, and umbrella coverage also with State Farm...so nice discounts for multiple policies.

Increasing the uninsured/underinsured motorist limit for property damage (i.e. to your Tesla) from $50K to $100K, which is the third number of the $100K/$300K/$50K figure, might be a smart move for a nominal bump in premium.

I wonder why my quote with USAA was so much lower? A little more than half. This was a pre Vin quote. Will the rate double when their system figures out its not just a Model S but a Performance model? They didn't give any choices for the pack size or the P model. It was just a quote too. Not a binder. I have to call back when I get the vin. Could it actually double? Doesn't seem likely that their computer was wrong. I even questioned the girl and told her it sounds too low.

Update: Just gave USAA my VIN and the quote is the same. 462.50/year. 300/500/100. No kids on the policy. I mentioned again that it sounded low compared to what I've seen/heard. The only thing they said was that I have a "clean driving record and have been with them for 32 years. Still seems low doesn't it?