Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S jumps into Neutral while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bad cell could result in a fire resulting in tragedy, bad press that nobody wants, especially shareholders, insurers, etc.

Your car will always be safer statistically but ironically that doesn't count.

I'm blessed with the funds to replace my pack if necessary, looking forward to the peace of mind.

But I'd rather have the cash for a CT.

I think that you're drunk on the Tesla cool aid, MP3Mike. I mean, the software was good enough for the car to drive 143K miles and it identified a lot of batteries that needed to be replaced (not mine, luckily, but lots of others), and then Tesla conveniently tweeks it to identify more batteries that need to be replaced/repaired, a service that is only conveniently provided by Tesla Service Centers? Even more suspect, the SC can't repair your battery, only replace it and charge you for a complete battery, while they keep the core--possibly to fix the one wire that's corroded and sell to the next guy with the recently tweeked software? It's all too convenient. I suspect that Tesla's view is that they will ween the inventory of the older Teslas--the ones that they promised life-time supercharging to--by creating software to disable their batteries, so that they can increase the profitability of their supercharger network. Which do you really feel is the view of a major player in corporate America?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
a service that is only conveniently provided by Tesla Service Centers?
There are at least three third parties that provide pack repair/replace services. (Though I wouldn't trust one of them.)

by creating software to disable their batteries, so that they can increase the profitability of their supercharger network.

@wk057 has confirmed that the issues Tesla reports are real, and will cause battery failures. Even if the person owning the Tesla can't afford to replace the battery, it is likely someone will buy it and replace the battery, the FUSC doesn't go away just because a battery is replaced.