Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Loner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving to work this morning and my Model 3 goes into limp mode (new car under 2000miles). Suggests getting out and re-entering the car but it didn’t fix anything, soft reset tried as well. Car suggests scheduling a service…

Called Tesla and great service over the phone, took the car along as I’m only a 10 min drive from the Edinburgh service centre. All good…….almost.

Got a courtesy car however it’s an absolute banger of a Model S 90D. The Model S is a nice car but this one is horrible. Bash in the front bumper, stains all over the interior, rims all bashed to bits and a gash in the tire. Not happy at all.

Rant aside the main reason for my post is on the range of said car. I’ve arranged a little get away with the better half on Friday to a log cabin near Oban so looking at a round trip of circa 230 miles. Will the car manage this? Picked up the car and it was showing 230 miles on almost full charge. Looking online it suggest real mileage is circa 280??

What do people think about this? Also, no supercharger in sight where I’m going and no CHADeMO adaptor for quick charging from public network.

All things said, I’m p***Ed off. Although not sure if I have the right to be and may be venting but the model S they gave me is an absolute P.O.S!

To be safe, I'd suggest you will only get 70% of the indicated "Typical" range because of the cold weather. Even if you left with 240 miles indicated, that my only be 168 miles of usable miles, but that's not all - you don't want to go down to zero, so even if you limit yourself to 10% before recharging, you only have 90% of the 70% of the indicated available range = 150 miles give or take. You can get to Oban easily but you will need to charge there to get back. I don't know which M3 you have but the same applies to that. An SR+ won't get there and back without recharging in the cold either. Not sure about a LR, but doubt it also. The UMC connected to a 3-pin socke will give you 6-7 miles an hour of Typical range or about 5 miles per hour of more realistic range, so 20 hours of slow charging will get you about 100 miles of realistic range, which should get you home again. Please don't bank on my figures! These are ball park estimates only :)

Tesla loaners do tend to be shabby in my experience though I think if they suspect you could be in the market for a new car - more premium loaners are available! The worst I had was a MSP85D with Ludicrous mode but the car was actually set to chill mode, which could not be changed! It was significantly slower than my MS70D!

• Helpful
Reactions: DanThor
Driving to work this morning and my Model 3 goes into limp mode (new car under 2000miles). Suggests getting out and re-entering the car but it didn’t fix anything, soft reset tried as well. Car suggests scheduling a service…

Called Tesla and great service over the phone, took the car along as I’m only a 10 min drive from the Edinburgh service centre. All good…….almost.

Got a courtesy car however it’s an absolute banger of a Model S 90D. The Model S is a nice car but this one is horrible. Bash in the front bumper, stains all over the interior, rims all bashed to bits and a gash in the tire. Not happy at all.

Rant aside the main reason for my post is on the range of said car. I’ve arranged a little get away with the better half on Friday to a log cabin near Oban so looking at a round trip of circa 230 miles. Will the car manage this? Picked up the car and it was showing 230 miles on almost full charge. Looking online it suggest real mileage is circa 280??

What do people think about this? Also, no supercharger in sight where I’m going and no CHADeMO adaptor for quick charging from public network.

All things said, I’m p***Ed off. Although not sure if I have the right to be and may be venting but the model S they gave me is an absolute P.O.S!

The good news is that you can probably ask tesla to swap it out or an enterprise rental. The bad news is your 3 will probably be a piece of shite in 5yrs too.....(sorry not in a good mood with my S in the shop for at least 2 weeks)

The UMC connected to a 3-pin socke will give you 6-7 miles an hour of Typical range or about 5 miles per hour of more realistic range, so 20 hours of slow charging will get you about 100 miles of realistic range, which should get you home again.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Looks like I'll be hooking up to the cabin for some miles over the weekend. I was hoping to try a round trip in my LR, optimistic i know but wanted to see if it would do it.

Had it up to Ballater over the weekend however exuberant driving over the Glenshee road in the cold wet conditions canned any dreams of one charge for a round trip :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Looks like I'll be hooking up to the cabin for some miles over the weekend. I was hoping to try a round trip in my LR, optimistic i know but wanted to see if it would do it.

Had it up to Ballater over the weekend however exuberant driving over the Glenshee road in the cold wet conditions canned any dreams of one charge for a round trip :)
Try it again in the summer! I have beaten the Typical miles by 10% on warm days :D

Be careful of sentry mode (if fitted to your loaner) - this can drain quite a lot of energy in the background. I'd also double check the UMC and blue Type 2 cables have been included in your loaner and that the UMC is working properly. If you need an extension cable it does need to be a very good quality one, even though the car will limit the current to 10A.

That's the same crap I had with mine (Model 3 less than 3 months old)...see this Thread: Cannot charge the car - Tesla Model 3

You were a lot more fortunate than me, they got me to power down the car and wait 4 mins which removed the message and said job done...it then happened again a week later three times in one day. Finally they agreed to take the car away...had to go 110 miles to my nearest SC. I got a Model S 75D as a Loan car...and initially thought very nice...but soon realised it handles like a truck in comparison to my model 3 and was sluggish.

Anyway finally got my Model 3 back today...they had text me a couple of times with no mention at all as to what had caused the issue. I finally got some sort of story and it was this:

"It was a connection issue for the soft connector to the accelerator pedal"

No other info provided.

Hopefully this is it resolved and does not come back but must admit to not feeling very confident in Tesla's as a company, luckily for me it is only on a 2 year lease. Almost guaranteed my next car will not be a Tesla.

Ok, an update to my rant earlier as on reflection it may sound like I’m knocking the Model S which isn’t the case. The S as a car is nice, quiet and the ride is refined. Ride may even be better than the 3 or maybe it’s the size which makes the car feel more refined. Probably the same way in which the 5 series ride compares to 3 series type of deal. Also, I feel like the car handles well for a big car, quite like it. Anyway, I do like the S just not in the condition provided and I want something that will pull similar range as to what I have in for a service. Any other weekend it wouldn’t be an issue but away this weekend so I want my 3 back :(.

I'll maybe note the soft connector problem to the pedal when I phone tomorrow for an update. Not sure if it's reasuring someone else has had the problem or not o_O.

Just want my car back. Got the roof racks delivered today so I'll take them along when I pick it up and get them to fit for me.

Some of their courtesy cars in general are duff, if something goes wrong on the cars they just leave it!

Seems a few of us are in a loaner...I’ll chip in.

Im in a 2017 Model S 100D courtesy of Park Lane. Very refined car, and drives lovely. Range is very good. However, the lack of fast charging without a CHADeMO adaptor is inconvenient.

The range is surprisingly accurate :confused:

Reactions: DanThor
I'll add in my experience as well.

My Model 3 also had a complete breakdown today and is currently in the Edinburgh service centre waiting to be repaired. I haven't been told how long this is going to take yet.

I've been given a diesel Mercedes C-Class rental car through Enterprise :eek: I guess the one silver lining about it is that I won't have to worry about range anxiety.

The car he has probably is a rental - The one I got from Brooklands certainly was

The enterprise chappie that dropped off my loaner jaguar did say they had some Teslas (outside my area) but whenever I've been given a loaner Tesla at Birmingham it's been something they dug out from the scrap pile at the back of the workshop - aged with basic functions working and entertaining to drive....

I'll add in my experience as well.

My Model 3 also had a complete breakdown today and is currently in the Edinburgh service centre waiting to be repaired. I haven't been told how long this is going to take yet.

I've been given a diesel Mercedes C-Class rental car through Enterprise :eek: I guess the one silver lining about it is that I won't have to worry about range anxiety.

The amount of complete breakdowns the Model 3 is having is worrying to say the least, I wonder out of interest if brand new cars from the big boys have a similar amount of breakdowns in the first 6 months. From recent experience I had a Jaguar XF, followed by a BMW 435D and both were solid as a rock. Could just be a coincidence and maybe it is being dragged out of proportion as I never checked forums for those cars...but my confidence in them has definitely dropped (even though having my car back repaired made me realise how much it is an awesome car to drive).

You were a bit unlucky getting a Diesel car via Enterprise, when they rang me up I asked if they had a Tesla and luckily they said Yes...the thought of having to go to a petrol station sends shivers down my spine!

Little update on the Model S.

The car is better on the motorway than the model 3, no doubt about it. If the S had the interior comfort of the new seats that would be a serious mile muncher!

Quite like the S but missing my 3:(

Little update on the Model S.

The car is better on the motorway than the model 3, no doubt about it. If the S had the interior comfort of the new seats that would be a serious mile muncher!

Quite like the S but missing my 3:(
How old is the S? - does it have up/down head restraints (3rd gen seats) or the next-gen (2nd gen) Recaro made seats? The basic (1st gen) seats look bad and people say they are though I have never experienced them.