Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S MCU1 Toolbox Tips? - Pyro Fuse Expiring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a DIY mechanic type guy. I like fixing things myself.
I got the message saying my Pyro Fuse has less than 6 months left to live.
Tesla quoted me about $340 for a new fuse, which isn't too bad.
Nonetheless, I ordered a self powered fused from ebay for about $50, a cable for about $19, and some high voltage gloves. Already have the multimeter necessary to check resistance as described in the service manual procedures.
I also found out that in Europe tesla will rent you Toolbox 3 access for 37 euros and hour. I wish they had the option in the US.
I'm from the US, but I think I can work out how to get it for the hour.

I've read some people's complaints about connecting to an MCU1 car (I've got a 2015 P85D).
I've heard that Toolbox 3 can be finicky about connecting to an MCU1 car, and if I'm renting the software for an hour I'd love any tips from those who have gotten it to work before.

Anybody have any tips so I don't burn my hour pulling my hair out about how to get the connection started? Once I've got Service Mode Plus going it should be a breeze, just getting there seems to be the challenge.

All tips are appreciated.

Is your car still within the 8 year battery warranty? If so, then replacement of the pyro fuse should be covered under warranty. Tesla's approach to that was a little inconsistent at first, but when I had it replaced on my mid-2016 MS 90D in December they covered it under warranty at no cost.

Reactions: David Harvey
2015 means the warranty has expired which is weird that he was alerted so late.

I wish I could help you with getting the toolbox working. I have a MCU1 car so I'm excited to see the process. Also I assume your fuse is on the bottom of the battery and not the top?

there was a thread somewhere about the Toolbox connection issues and how to solve them..
I found a couple, most focused on MCU2 and the one about MCU1 I found didn't have any resolution. Maybe I'll be that resolution for people.

I do recall reading someone say it could take like 20 plus tries to get a connection from Toolbox 3 to MCU1. Makes me concerned about renting the software for an hour. Wish the timer started after I make a successful connection.