Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - New Body

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mid-cycle refresh was pretty minor. I'm not buying it; there are some key pain points wrt the M3 that have to be dealt with. The MS, much as I love it, is a bit of a bag of compromises made back when Tesla couldn't get anybody to make parts for them.

By 2022, there will be bunch of good competitors out there. They can't wait that long.

Tesla can totally wait that long, all they really need is new modern LED tail lamps and an interior refresh.

I don´t think so. They are focusing on the Model 3, maybe it will be unveiled some mayor changes to the S when the Model Y gets unveiled. But not for now.

I understand they are busy now with the Model 3 ramp up but would they not have started the redesign about 2-3 years ago? They should be finalizing the part deliveries and supplier logistics by now? We still love our Model S interior from 2014 but it needs an update. Even compared to the Model 3, the Model S starts looking deficient with some of the interior technology and design.

I understand they are busy now with the Model 3 ramp up but would they not have started the redesign about 2-3 years ago? They should be finalizing the part deliveries and supplier logistics by now? We still love our Model S interior from 2014 but it needs an update. Even compared to the Model 3, the Model S starts looking deficient with some of the interior technology and design.

I still dont see the need for a interior update yet, however I can understand that people want door pockets and better cupholders, hud etc. Remember that other car manufactures keeps their flagship model in many years before making a whole new Model. I still think a new model S is a bit more that 1 year away from now.

I still dont see the need for a interior update yet, however I can understand that people want door pockets and better cupholders, hud etc. Remember that other car manufactures keeps their flagship model in many years before making a whole new Model. I still think a new model S is a bit more that 1 year away from now.

I guess we'll see what happens and I'm sure there are vast differences in expectations based on what someone used to drive before. If someone drove high end imports they'd have very different expectations of the interior. We bought our Tesla in 2014 not because of but in spite of the state of the interior. Don't get me wrong, we love our car but also realize that the interior is the one area they can improve and I like what they are doing with the Model 3 interior and the new roadster interior. The newer Tesla designs are more cohesive and yet modern and minimalist while being more functional. It's time for the Model S to get some of that love :)

Reactions: henderrj
What might be the order of priorities to support Tesla's mission
"to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy."
A guess:
  1. Ramp up model 3 production
  2. Ramp up Gigafactory 1 beyond Model 3 to support massive volumes of Powerwalls and Powerpacks
  3. Get Gigafactory 2 in buffalo started to finally start satisfying the insatiable demand for Solar Roofs
  4. Start producing model Y
  5. Start producing Semi
  6. Start producing Tesla Roadster. Ok, just like Model S, this is a halo car that doesn't move the needle on world sustainable energy, but it "moves" other products that do. Since Roadster wears a bigger halo than Model S, it seems logical that roadster has to be ready before model S. Please explain if you disagree and why.
  7. Start producing pickup trucks
  8. Launch a bunch of other products that we haven't heard of yet
  9. Refresh Model S
if this list is correct, by the time we get to #9 (in 2028?) the car shapes as we know them today might no longer be a thing and therefore Model S would be considered mission complete.

Last edited:
What might be the order of priorities to support Tesla's mission
"to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy."
A guess:
  1. Ramp up model 3 production
  2. Ramp up Gigafactory 1 beyond Model 3 to support massive volumes of Powerwalls and Powerpacks
  3. Get Gigafactory 2 in buffalo started to finally start satisfying the insatiable demand for Solar Roofs
  4. Start producing model Y
  5. Start producing Semi
  6. Start producing Tesla Roadster. Ok, just like Model S, this is a halo car that doesn't move the needle on world sustainable energy, but it "moves" other products that do. Since Roadster wears a bigger halo than Model S, it seems logical that roadster has to be ready before model S. Please explain if you disagree and why.
  7. Start producing pickup trucks
  8. Launch a bunch of other products that we haven't heard of yet
  9. Refresh Model S
if this list is correct, by the time we get to #9 (in 2028?) the car shapes as we know them today might no longer be a thing and therefore Model S would be considered mission complete.

Fortunately, Tesla has many employees working on many aspects of their vehicles and their business :p

Tesla has sold cars with zero competition but starting next year there will be competition so the state of the interior will matter more than previously. Like I said, we still love the car but understand where some future customers come from if they are used to premium European interiors.

Fortunately, Tesla has many employees working on many aspects of their vehicles and their business :p

Tesla has sold cars with zero competition but starting next year there will be competition so the state of the interior will matter more than previously. Like I said, we still love the car but understand where some future customers come from if they are used to premium European interiors.
for sure, unless there is higher total value in taking all these many employees in putting them on accelerating points 1-8