Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: No Spare Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here it is. BMW X3 F25 Spare Tire Kit (Emergency Space Saver) : Bimmerzone.com

Price seems a tad steep. Maybe because it's BMW. Might hunt around to see if same spare is available through other outlets at lower price.

Those small spares are expensive. My BMW had a flat. Went to change it and the spare was flat. Turns out the valve metal core separated from the rubber and lost air. Tire shops wouldn't touch it because the tire was older than their limit. Had to order a new tire to get it fixed. Over $200 after all was said and done.

Those small spares are expensive. My BMW had a flat. Went to change it and the spare was flat. Turns out the valve metal core separated from the rubber and lost air. Tire shops wouldn't touch it because the tire was older than their limit. Had to order a new tire to get it fixed. Over $200 after all was said and done.
I check the temporary spare every time I change the oil in my wife's old Prius. It's amazing how many people don't even think about it until it's too late. I asked my mom if her spare has ever been checked (2008 Camry) and she said that the dealer she takes it to checks it when she takes it in for service. I went ahead and checked it myself and it was at 17 PSI...

I purchased a tire plug repair kit off of Amazon and have a compressor as an emergency measure in case I am not within a reasonable distance of a repair facility. I also have a Volt - no tire there also....The manufacturers claim weight saving....but it is really about saving money...
Its also about range as 75lb of tire and a jack cost you on the erange as well as MPG range

I bought plug sealer (pro version do not waste $$ on low end stuff)
Amazon.com: Safety Seal KAP30 30 String Pro Tire Repair Kit with Storage Case: Automotive

and compressor
Amazon.com: P.I. Auto Store Premium Digital Tire Inflator – Electric 12v DC Portable Auto Air Compressor. Pump to 150 Psi. With Carry Case: Automotive

the cans of goo are seldom helpful and can ruin otherwise nice rims and tires

For anyone who has a spare for their Tesla now, what did you do? I just replaced a wheel I had damaged clipping a curb at speed (50mph). The damage looked cosmetic at first but once it was looked at in the service center it was definitely bent and unbalanced so wouldn't make a suitable spare. Luckily I didn't click the alternative wheel options when buying the car and have the stock slipstream 19" wheels. Replacing it and the tire was about 600$. I would like a spare for long road trips but would prefer to spend less than this if possible, but also don't want a donut.

For anyone who has a spare for their Tesla now, what did you do? I just replaced a wheel I had damaged clipping a curb at speed (50mph). The damage looked cosmetic at first but once it was looked at in the service center it was definitely bent and unbalanced so wouldn't make a suitable spare. Luckily I didn't click the alternative wheel options when buying the car and have the stock slipstream 19" wheels. Replacing it and the tire was about 600$. I would like a spare for long road trips but would prefer to spend less than this if possible, but also don't want a donut.
Grab a wheel from eBay.

Grab a wheel from eBay.
This is a good suggestion. I purchased a new wheel from a service center and it was quite expensive, about $350 IIRC. I then bought a new tire for it but when I recently replaced my tires I only bought three, used the new tire on the spare as the fourth, and put an old tire on the spare wheel.

I only carry the spare on long road trips. For closer to home I carry a plug kit. If that isn't enough to fix the problem then I'll have to call for a tow or get a neighbor to bring me the spare. On a road trip I want to be able to fix the flat myself and be on my way, not wait several days for a small town tire store to special order the right size tire if it isn't repairable.

Not exactly related, but I had a 5-series before the Tesla which specifically stated it had run flats and no spare. Bizarrely, it actually had a spare (but was missing a lug wrench?) which almost helped when my run-flat exploded in CT pothole season.

No such luck with a bonus-spare in the Tesla... It does make me a little nervous to take my car out camping or other places without cell reception without a spare. I have considered buying one for those adventures off of ebay and just keeping it in the garage day-to-day.

Not exactly related, but I had a 5-series before the Tesla which specifically stated it had run flats and no spare. Bizarrely, it actually had a spare (but was missing a lug wrench?) which almost helped when my run-flat exploded in CT pothole season.

No such luck with a bonus-spare in the Tesla... It does make me a little nervous to take my car out camping or other places without cell reception without a spare. I have considered buying one for those adventures off of ebay and just keeping it in the garage day-to-day.
For very little money you can have one to take with you any time you feel like you might need it.