Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S on the Bachelor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There actually is a "right" and "wrong" way to take photos with an iPhone (and by "right" and "wrong" I mean that one way the photos appears oriented correctly, and one way that the photo will appear upside down).

The correct way is to hold your iPhone with the circular home button to the right, with the volume buttons on the bottom. If you hold the iPhone the other way (circular home button to the left, volume buttons facing up), when you try to upload those photos online, or even download them to your computer, they will appear upside down. I'm assuming that something similar happens on the iPad as well.

Don't believe me? Try it out...

To me that's not the "right" way. It's just a work around. The problem is that Apple does not rotate pictures on the phone anymore in order to speed up the shutter process. Instead they put the position info in the Exif data with the pic and most pc software packages don't look at that data. Instead, they just count on the pic being in the correct position. I'm not saying what Apple is doing is "wrong" since most high end cameras do the same thing. It's just that it isn't compatible with most of the PC world (surprise, surprise!). The thing I don't like is that this forces you to take pictures in landscape mode. Instead I think the better solution is to use an app called Camera+ instead of the standard iphone or ipad camera app.

Well, workaround or "right," it works, so that's all I care about. And it doesn't force you to take only horizontal photos at all...Vertical photos are oriented correctly. All it does is force you to take horizontal photos one way versus the other. Which any basic camera does as well (can you imagine if people held their point-and-shoot camera upside down and then complained that the photos came out inverted?!). As for using Camera+, that's an even less convenient workaround...One of the best things about the recent iOS improvements is being ably to get right into the camera by swiping up from the lock screen...I've missed far fewer spontaneous photos since they introduced that feature. I'll take my workaround, although it would be nice is Apple just went ahead and fixed it for us!