Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P85D CPO Warranty Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really used to love Tesla and I was so excited when I was able to buy my dream car in August of 2017 which was a 2015 Model S P85D (CPO from Tesla itself). Seems like since then it’s been nothing but a nightmare. When I took delivery of the car, and got it out of the dark showroom, I noticed significant damage to the car. There was a huge gash on the moonroof, multiple scratches on the car. A huge scratch on the leather seat, panels were misaligned etc. I was disappointed, but Tesla took care of all my complaints and pretty much refurbished my car.

Fast forward to Dec 2018 and I got in an accident. It wasn’t a major accident but my air bags did deploy. Most of the damage was in the front. I was the last car in a 5 car pile up, so of course they listed me as fault (even though it was BS). Took me 4 months to get my car back from the body shop. Insurance only paid for 30 days of rental, but Tesla made things right again by reimbursing me for the rental. Shortly after I got my car back from the body shop (April 2019), I thought my power steering failed. I blamed the body shop, but when they inspected the vehicle, they said they detected moisture where my steering rack was and they said it was completely corroded. They said this was an issue with the warranty and towed the car to Tesla. Tesla took care of the issue no problems. Fast forward a couple months and I notice a huge moisture bubble behind the steering wheel in the instrument cluster. I again contacted Tesla who assured me they would take care of this under warranty (Tesla - Rockville MD). The service center person I was working with even said she would order me a new part for a newer car so it wouldn’t happen again. Again - satisfied.

Then Monday, July 8, 2018 happened. It was raining cats and dogs outside. I got in my car to head to work. I drove in a puddle when driving thru my neighborhood which had to have been no more than 2 inches so I didn’t think anything of it. As soon as I got to the entrance of my neighborhood my car started throwing all these errors “Car needs to restart” “Car cannot restart”, etc. So, I ended up turning my car around and headed back to the house and I parked in my garage. I tried to reboot a couple times and nothing. Then my car gave me a low voltage warning and completely shut down. I called roadside assistance who had to get my car towed. The car would not even jump so the tow guy had to hook chains up to the wheels and literally drag my car across my garage floor (I have the marks to prove it). After 2 hours, my car was finally towed to Tesla Tyson’s Corner VA since it’s closer to my house. Since my car has been there it’s been a nightmare. Basically they are saying my HV Rapid Mate part failed due to the HV Rapid Mate Seal being faulty. They said it’s dried out and cracked. That caused the water to come in. But here’s the thing, they said that there is water above the battery which shows that my car was submerged under water. My car was not submerged in water. The water didn’t even go above the bottom of the tire. How are they saying I’m responsible for a faulty part that is covered under warranty. Anyone else have these issues? I was thinking about getting a lawyer, I just don’t know why they are giving me an issue for something they are even admitting isn’t my fault.

5594D2CC-79F4-4231-9C97-1C655D5CB69C.jpeg

Tow company should have put the wheels on skates...

Are you sure it was not the ground stud problem? If you had corroded steering bolts, you probably have corrosion elsewhere.

Get a second opinion, even if you have to get it towed.

I’d push back a few more times before lawyer-ing up. Other parts of the car would show signs of water damage if they thought you drove through a lake. There’s enough water exposure via normal driving to warrant the boot to begin with. My HV Rapid Mate boot was also replaced under warranty a few months ago when my rear DU was swapped out. They noticed it was cracked and asked to keep the car until the part was overnighted from Fremont so that they didn’t have drop components down twice. Good luck.
Not sure what to make of the moisture in the IC. Weather seal in the frunk compromised? Leaky windshield?

I’d push back a few more times before lawyer-ing up. Other parts of the car would show signs of water damage if they thought you drove through a lake. There’s enough water exposure via normal driving to warrant the boot to begin with. My HV Rapid Mate boot was also replaced under warranty a few months ago when my rear DU was swapped out. They noticed it was cracked and asked to keep the car until the part was overnighted from Fremont so that they didn’t have drop components down twice. Good luck.
Not sure what to make of the moisture in the IC. Weather seal in the frunk compromised? Leaky windshield?
Turns out they are admitting fault. Their service manager was wrong when he told me that standing water above the battery compartment would void out the warranty. One of the field engineers said that standing water is normal since the bottom of the car isn't completely sealed (the battery compartment is). So they apologized and are admitting fault. The HV Rapid Mate seal was cracked and dried out which they said would be covered under warranty.

Tow company should have put the wheels on skates...

Are you sure it was not the ground stud problem? If you had corroded steering bolts, you probably have corrosion elsewhere.

Get a second opinion, even if you have to get it towed.
The skates didn't work because car kept turning sideways in the garage. He had to hook the wheels up to chains and drag my car across the floor. SMH.